Miniatures Talk

Italeri US Army 1/72nd Scale Plastic

Posted by Bunkermeister on 11 Feb 2009, 06:37

Got this set a couple days ago. The olive green plastic color is great. The figures are a tiny bit too large, but not as bad as some other sets. While they still can't do a decent mortar, they are getting better. They should make the base a little larger so the bipod will fit on it. The .30 cal machine gun is being fired from a kneeling position, which is not great but is okay. Using range cards or tracers you can fire them this way but more typical is the prone position, so you can use the sights.

I look forward to the AT set and the US Army in greatcoats that should be out later this year.

I will post photos on my blog soon, and compare them with other US Army sets.

Mike "Bunkermeister" Creek
bunkermeister.blogspot.com
Bunkermeister  United States of America

Posted by dutchboyinohio on 11 Feb 2009, 17:05

Hi Mike,
Yes, please do post a comparison. I'm interested in buying this set and would like to see how they stack up against what's already out there.
dutchboyinohio  United States of America

Posted by Bunkermeister on 19 Feb 2009, 23:04

I have posted a series of photos showing the new Itlaeri US Army WWII set. They are larger than most other sets. They seem to complement the Esci US Army set well in terms of poses, but are even a bit larger than them.

I may do a few more photos showing those two sets together soon.

The most recent item is a new photo series on a 60mm US Navy operation in the Cold War.
Bunkermeister  United States of America

Posted by captainzlog on 23 Feb 2009, 18:04

There are some serious accuracy problems with this set. As Mike has pointed out, the machine gunner is a stupid pose, unable to use the sights and making himself a big target. But there is no ammunition belt in the gun! The ammo carriers are present, but there is no assistant gunner, or any suitable pose to convert one. The two mortarmen are also in idiotic poses - unless in a prepared emplacement, both these weapons were fired from the prone position as a heavy weapon in the open tends to attract incoming fire........

That's bad enough, but there are serious errors in the men's web gear. Quite simply, it's a mixture of items that were never made, let alone issued. Some of the figures wear half a rifleman's 10 pocket cartidge belt and half some other kind with carbine pouches on it. Never mind the fact that the M1 rifle pouches are made as part of the belt, not slipped over, there is no reason for a rifleman to ditch half his ammo load in favor of magazines for the platoon leader's carbine.

This is another classic example of sloppy research leading to an inferior product, and another reason most wargamers buy metal

If you want realistic WWII US Army troops, be prepared to do a lot of conversion work or buy elsewhere.

dutchboyinohio wrote:Hi Mike,
Yes, please do post a comparison. I'm interested in buying this set and would like to see how they stack up against what's already out there.
captainzlog  

Posted by Martin on 23 Feb 2009, 23:17

Hi,
You'll find the latest review here:
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1507
Martin  Netherlands

Posted by dutchboyinohio on 24 Feb 2009, 04:20

Wow, sounds like opinions are very divided on this one. Thanks for all of the info guys!
dutchboyinohio  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Miniatures Talk