Miniatures Talk

Rarest 1/72nd figure sets

Posted by Peter on 26 Jan 2009, 22:22

I have that set of Geronimo to. But I didn't buy them in a box. I bought them in small plastic bags (like Buffalo Bill and hunt, gold rush, Apache camp, Kit Carson, Sioux Sitting Bull and Stampede). That's why PSR didn't give numbers of the quantity of each. I think ther were less figures in the plastic bags as in the boxes. They're small but with fine details.
Talking about rare sets, I've made a tour on e-bay, and I found two rare sets we've been talking about: Airfix Guards Band and Modern Nato troups (one of the latest sets Airfix produced).
Another rare set is a not so old one, the Strelets set 48: Napoleon's General Staff (2). I even contacted Strelets about this set, and the answer was: search on e-bay :shock: :shock: A very dissepointing answer. If someone has a set in spare, I'm willing to buy!

Greetings Peter
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by ModernKiwi on 26 Jan 2009, 22:25

Are those Modern NATO troops rare? I've seen heaps of them in various shops here in NZ over the past 5-6 years. I even bought some, then promptly chucked them into my "never to be used" pile as they were so rubbish.
ModernKiwi  New Zealand

Posted by Peter on 26 Jan 2009, 22:33

Hey Chris. For me they are. I've never seen them before. They're from 1982, and as far as I know they're not in production again.
But I agree with you about the figures, they're no good. And PSR is saying the same thing, just have a look at the ratings.
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=431

Greetings Peter
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Wheeling Turn on 28 Jan 2009, 23:20

for me the most hard to get figs ae some of the old atlantic wild west kits, as the outlaws and sherriff box.
also have you ever tried to get your hand on the old atlantic egyptian ships, the siege towers or the spinx.
As a rule it seems that the one you need urgently for a projekt senns to be the rarest.. :-D

greets markus
Wheeling Turn  Germany

Posted by ModernKiwi on 31 Jan 2009, 05:53

I just saw some Atlantic Italian Bersaglieri (Set 115) for sale on my local auction site. Are these rare?

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=63

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Toys-models/Models/Military/Infantry/auction-199994247.htm
ModernKiwi  New Zealand

Posted by Bunkermeister on 31 Jan 2009, 09:25

I had several sets of the Airfix Zoo I and II and the Tarzan but they all went brittle on me. I got a couple of the HaT Tarzan and they were tan, which I liked better.

Recently I traded off my few Guards Band to a friend of mine who is a collector, they are really pretty terrible. A few new bands would be nice, now that HaT is doing British Colonial perhaps a band would be in order.

I got a zillon of the Aztecs when Squadron had a sale on the for $1.99! I got several of the Conquestador sets too, and the Caesar Conquestador sets are very similar and fit perfectly with the Revell.

The Theirry La Fonde sets I have never seen, they are on PSR. A French TV show with Airfix style figures made for it.

hystericalrightwing.blogspot.com
Bunkermeister  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by dutchboyinohio on 03 Feb 2009, 16:24

As I was cleaning my workbench and kit storage last night I ran across a box of Atlantic 1517, Gladiators and Christians (http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=74). Forgot I had those. Even though they are labeled as HO scale and PSR has them as being 24 mm tall, they are in fact really large, even larger than some of the Zvezda Egyptians I'm working on (http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1206), and PSR lists them as being larger (26 mm). I'll post some comparison pix as soon as I get my hands on a camera.

Does anybody know if this Atlantic set is rare? I know some of the related sets are, such as the Coliseum. Even though PSR doesn't give them high ratings, I sort of like them. The casting is very good for such an old set, with nice, crisp detail that would look really nice painted....
dutchboyinohio  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 03 Feb 2009, 18:44

Hey Dutchboyinohio, that set is RARE. Even Nexus hasn't released them yet. So keep a good eye on them!

Greetings Peter
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by nybot on 03 Feb 2009, 18:58

Hi guys, I've been MIA for a while but have been keeping up with you guys at least.

The Geronimo Apaches box looks worth having without the figures. It just looks amazing. As for rare figures I don't really have any. The closest I have are some of the Revel Napoleonic British Infantry. I got them on ebay and they were mostly the advancing type poses. Muskets on hips with the bayonet presented for instance. I got about 50 of these various poses.

An unexpected surprise was that the seller also included the officers, drummer and Sapper. These ones had been painted though. They looked good but its a shame I didn't get to do them, but the paint job was good enough for me not to want to strip them. I mean as my wife just pointed out, I have about 500 figures waiting for me already.
nybot  United Kingdom

Posted by The Talking Horse on 03 Feb 2009, 22:00

Missed this topic earlier. I have a local shop. Plastic Pastimes, which as the name suggests stocks old and new sets, if any one is after specific sets, send me a PM and I`ll check on availability and price. Thet do Ebay but not an online shop. could maybe swop for things not available in Uk.
Regards Douglas
The Talking Horse  United Kingdom

Posted by dutchboyinohio on 15 Feb 2009, 05:18

dutchboyinohio wrote:As I wrote in the other thread it's probably a toss up between

Preiser's Columbus set: http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1678

and Atlantic 1003 (Geronimo Apache): http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=578

Never really had any of the Airfix sets growing up, but I do remember owning some of the Matchbox sets, not sure what I still have of those. I do have all of the Revell sets and a lot of the old Esci sets (not sure how rare those are).

Funny how much you forget. As I was organizing my stuff the other day, I ran across several old sets that I forgot I had, including:

Atlantic's Romans (Gladiators and Christians) (http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=74). I just love the boxes on these:

And some old Matchbox sets:

And the Airfix Astronauts. I know this is a re-issue in white, but I know I have the originals somewhere. They were cast in a tan kind of plastic.

Posted by dutchboyinohio on 15 Feb 2009, 05:21

dutchboyinohio wrote:As I wrote in the other thread it's probably a toss up between

Preiser's Columbus set: http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1678

Here are a few pictures:

Instructions:

Random sprue:

Posted by Martin on 15 Feb 2009, 13:43

Hi DBIO,
Thanx for sharing these with us and for making the pics.
Martin  Netherlands

Posted by T. Dürrschmidt on 15 Feb 2009, 22:33

Yes, thank you very much. It´s a pity I can´t get my fingers on this Columbus-Set. This is really rare. It is easier to get 10 sets of Imperial Artillery from Revell. :(
T. Dürrschmidt  Germany
Silver Brush winner

Posted by Susofrick on 16 Feb 2009, 10:36

Thanks. Great pics! And those boxes looks marvelous! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by dutchboyinohio on 19 Feb 2009, 05:48

Hi guys, you're quite welcome, and yes, especially that Atlantic box is awesome. I don't know of any other manufacturer that makes/made boxes like that one.

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by MABO on 19 Feb 2009, 09:43

I am painting the 54mm figures of this series at the moment. I bought them when I was a child
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Peter on 19 Feb 2009, 18:53

Hey MABO, put some pictures up when they're ready.

Greetings Peter
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Benno on 19 Feb 2009, 19:59

Peter wrote:Hey MABO, put some pictures up when they're ready.

This forum is for 1/72 scale and smaller.
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Posted by Peter on 19 Feb 2009, 20:58

I know Benno, but didn't we have a discussion on the forum about 28 mm figures to ;-) ?

Greetings Peter
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Previous pageNext page

Return to Miniatures Talk