Forum & Help

Logout-party in our chatroom

Posted by Zed1 on 20 May 2011, 07:38

In the last few weeks I have noticed that our chatroom seems to work by the motto 'come in and log out'. Members (some specific ones like entrauner are heavily suffering by this effect) come into the chat, seem to 'hang' for a short while and are then logged out due to mysterious timeout. Some seem to have this effect almost everytime, others only from time to time - and I don't have it at all.

So what's going wrong here? Any chance to get this problem solved?
User avatar
Zed1  Germany
 
Posts: 1140
Member since:
17 Jan 2011, 14:25


Posted by Benno on 20 May 2011, 09:47

The chatroom checks every five minutes whether somebody is still in the chatroom or not. When somebody enters the chatroom and leaves it again without logging out, that person is automatically "logged out" after a couple of minutes by the chatroom.

Hope that clears things up a bit. ;-)
User avatar
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin
 
Posts: 2388
Member since:
07 Oct 2007, 16:31

Posted by Paul on 20 May 2011, 09:53

I got "booted out" a couple of weeks ago...it just logged me out even though I was in the chat...I couldn´t get back in aftrewards
User avatar
Paul  China

Moderator Moderator
 
Posts: 10481
Member since:
25 Nov 2008, 09:31

Posted by Maurice on 20 May 2011, 09:55

Etrauner suffers from the "revolving door syndrome" log on, immediately getting logged off again.
User avatar
Maurice  
 
Posts: 2925
Member since:
04 Jan 2009, 15:59

Posted by Zed1 on 20 May 2011, 10:55

Benno wrote:The chatroom checks every five minutes whether somebody is still in the chatroom or not. When somebody enters the chatroom and leaves it again without logging out, that person is automatically "logged out" after a couple of minutes by the chatroom.

Hope that clears things up a bit. ;-)


Sorry Benno, but that's just in theory. In the cases I refer to, someone enters and is logged out within just a minute or two. Just as Maurice said.
User avatar
Zed1  Germany
 
Posts: 1140
Member since:
17 Jan 2011, 14:25

Posted by Benno on 20 May 2011, 12:54

Then it might be a server related problem that should be resolved when the forum is moved to the new server.
User avatar
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin
 
Posts: 2388
Member since:
07 Oct 2007, 16:31

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by entrauner on 02 Jun 2011, 17:40

thanx for discussing that (my) problem.its really ennoying,but I'll recheck tonight.benno changed something of the setting.
we'll see........
User avatar
entrauner  Austria
 
Posts: 1033
Member since:
19 Apr 2009, 16:54

Posted by Peter on 02 Jun 2011, 18:30

Maurice wrote:Etrauner suffers from the "revolving door syndrome" log on, immediately getting logged off again.

I have that problem in some pubs. I go in and the next moment I'm out again. Seems to me they don't like me there :mrgreen:
User avatar
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator
 
Posts: 17223
Member since:
25 Mar 2008, 18:51

Posted by entrauner on 02 Jun 2011, 19:58

well,you better talk to Benno,he'll reset your settings :-D
User avatar
entrauner  Austria
 
Posts: 1033
Member since:
19 Apr 2009, 16:54

Posted by Paul on 02 Jun 2011, 22:34

entrauner wrote:well,you better talk to Benno,he'll reset your settings :-D

???????
User avatar
Paul  China

Moderator Moderator
 
Posts: 10481
Member since:
25 Nov 2008, 09:31

Posted by musketier on 03 Jun 2011, 01:53

the common fact amongst those getting booted out in chatroom is they all, I believe, use IE as a browser, somehow the chatroom don't like that ;-)
User avatar
musketier  United States of America
 
Posts: 3517
Member since:
21 Dec 2009, 16:11

Posted by Paul on 03 Jun 2011, 08:14

musketier wrote:the common fact amongst those getting booted out in chatroom is they all, I believe, use IE as a browser, somehow the chatroom don't like that ;-)

IE....?? What´s that?
Could it also be something to do with the individuals provider? Or the speed of the internet connection??
It may be that my provider is crap...they have recently upgraded the speed of the connections...this makes things a bit easier for me...hier as well, not 100% but better than just recently.
User avatar
Paul  China

Moderator Moderator
 
Posts: 10481
Member since:
25 Nov 2008, 09:31

Posted by Zed1 on 03 Jun 2011, 10:58

Paul wrote:IE....?? What´s that?
Could it also be something to do with the individuals provider? Or the speed of the internet connection??
It may be that my provider is crap...they have recently upgraded the speed of the connections...this makes things a bit easier for me...hier as well, not 100% but better than just recently.


It's the InternetExplorer, Microsofts' strange internet tool. Our techs call it the 'InternetExploder' for some reason... ;-)
It could also be, of course, a provider problem. Dunno. In my case, it's mainly a problem that you can't establish a permanent working wireless connection in my house - for what reason ever I randomly have disconnects from time to time. Neither Deutsche Telekom, nor Versatel or (as current) Unitymedia have solved this problem - they never ever found out what is happening at all.

In other words: IT is a tricky business. It could be everything. The only thing that shouldn't have much influence on the connection itself is the speed of your internet connection.
User avatar
Zed1  Germany
 
Posts: 1140
Member since:
17 Jan 2011, 14:25

Posted by ModernKiwi on 04 Jun 2011, 23:15

Random wireless disconnects are often down to the fact that wireless uses the same frequencies as cordless telephones do. If you are in the vicinity (within 30 metres or so) of these, this can cause random data issues and disconnects.
User avatar
ModernKiwi  New Zealand
 
Posts: 1982
Member since:
23 Jun 2008, 10:36

Posted by Zed1 on 29 Jun 2011, 09:33

Whatever it is, the problem still exists as I noted a moment ago when Jur came in just to fly out again... :x
User avatar
Zed1  Germany
 
Posts: 1140
Member since:
17 Jan 2011, 14:25


Return to Forum & Help