Forum & Help

Silence

Posted by Ochoin on 17 Dec 2010, 22:03

There are many postings of beautifully painted figures on this forum.
And going by the count offered, many, many people look at the pictures.

It is noteworthy that the vast majority look but say nothing.
I guess hundreds of comments along the lines of "Good work" would be meaningless but it would be good to get more informed comment.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Victorious Secret on 18 Dec 2010, 07:21

Hi Donald,

IMHO there are several reasons. One being some one did an "accidental" internet search and found pictures or article of what he/she is looking for and then gone and never come back again.

Another being the same member come back to check on replies or finding the thread interesting/infomational.

Also perhaps some of us do not speak English so they are just here to enjoy the pictures.

I am guilty of "good work" comments myself sometimes... but I don't do it against my true feeling about the artwork. If topic I have no idea about or could not be in assistant/interest, I just nod my head and quietly move on to the next thread. However, if I feel the person is sincere of receiving constructive comment, I would be glad to share a honest opinion. If some one is to post work just for the ego boost, then why not? this only encourages our hobby.

I am a true believer of that hobby should be fun and shared. The rest comes in distant second.

One thing that baffle me the most though, are the people who register and never make any comment.

VS
Victorious Secret  United States of America

Posted by Paul on 18 Dec 2010, 10:36

This has been done before ;-)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4305&start=0&hilit=why+bother
There are many reasons....all of them legitimate and understandable, maybe not to members like myself who regularily post here, but I am on several other forums were I don´t post at all..I joined and then found out that the content or people on them were
1. stuck up and arrogant
2. spent all thier time endlessly discussing buttons and rivets, which inevitably ended in fights.
3. Competitions that were bent/cheated or for money/prizes which led to bad feeling and fights.
4. Cliquey...virtually just one subject was discussed and mainly by 2-3 people...
5. Abusive or over the top administration controll
6. An in crowd who ignored all newcomers and thier work (and were, in some cases, abusive towards it)
7. The forum/site just got stuck in a rut..never developed new ideas or methods
8. Abuse towards other hobby sites
9. lack of fun...all to serious and arty farty and not prepared to have a laugh at themselves.

All of which IMHO...isn´t the case here :-)
I wouldn´t worry Donald...some people can only say "nice work" or whatever due to language and it´s nice of them to try anyway. Imagine joining a chinese forum and getting stuck in !! :-) :-)
Paul  China

Posted by Ochoin on 18 Dec 2010, 13:04

Don't get me wrong: nothing wrong at all with a "nice work" comment.

And I guess I'm annoyingly chatty & shouldn't expect everyone to have the same flaw.

And finally, whether accidently or purposefully, if people discover the work here & enjoy it, I suppose it doesn't matter all that much that they're silent.

regards, donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Paul on 18 Dec 2010, 13:13

Ochoin wrote:And I guess I'm annoyingly chatty & shouldn't expect everyone to have the same flaw.

The more annoyingly chatty the better :-)
Paul  China

Posted by Peter on 18 Dec 2010, 14:14

Paul wrote:The more annoyingly chatty the better :-)

Are you talking about me??? :P

I had a post not so long ago, it had 200 views and only one comment was given ;-) At that moment I was thinking why should I post something here, if there's no feedback. But on the other hand, in some posts you get more comments that you expected. I think it's about taking and giving.... You like it, or you don't like it. You like it, you give comment, you don't like it, you don't give comment, scared to say something wrong. :?

Maybe a simple point of view of me, but I think that's the way it works around here ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Forum & Help