Forum & Help

Why bother ? To All members who don´t post.

Posted by Martin on 01 Apr 2010, 23:31

Well one by one, yes.
More people, more fun!
Martin  Netherlands

Posted by Paul on 01 Apr 2010, 23:32

Benno wrote:You want over 2000 people to register Paul? :-)

The more the merrier. :-) :-) If say, how many was it, 20% take part that´s the amount that is registered now, but that amount would at least be active.
Paul  China

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Benno on 01 Apr 2010, 23:39

I was referring to the registered members only with that 20%. :-)

Just for fun... the stats of the previous 7 days:

And the monthly stats since March 2008 (when I installed the counter):
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Posted by Paul on 01 Apr 2010, 23:46

OH NO! GRAPHS at this time of night!!!!!! :-)
Paul  China

Moderator Moderator

Posted by monty on 02 Apr 2010, 00:06

monty  United Kingdom

Posted by musketier on 02 Apr 2010, 02:37

perhaps with all my page loads I may skew that graph result hehe

Oh and just for Monty 'Quack Quack' :shock: :pirat: :winky: :viking:

Getting back to the original post, I agree that if one decides to join one should enjoy it to the fullest by jumping in and sharing, Like I have heard somewhere before There is no such thing as a dumb question, So Ask or Answer away!
musketier  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Ochoin on 02 Apr 2010, 08:37

The Gentlemen's Wargaming Parlour site only allows a set number of members & you will be politely excluded if you don't post, including photos of your work.
Bit harsh, maybe, but I see where they're coming from.
Anyone can be a non-posting visitor to much of the site, of course.
donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Paul on 02 Apr 2010, 10:57

Ochoin wrote:The Gentlemen's Wargaming Parlour site only allows a set number of members & you will be politely excluded if you don't post, including photos of your work.
Bit harsh, maybe, but I see where they're coming from.
Anyone can be a non-posting visitor to much of the site, of course.
donald

I think that would be a bit harsh to exclude members who don´t post pictures at all, on a regular basis or whatever. This would mean there would be :
1. No learning process for us amateurs due to feed back on comments or questions to do with other members work
2. Less people staying. Some people need a warm up period to be able to think, "I will now post my pictures because I feel at home"
3. A lack of fun and spontaniety. A lot of fun comments would go, with people feeling "forced" to produce in order to keep in with the flow, IMHO like being at work, having to earn the right to comment.

Maybe my question is a bit ....er? odd. Perhaps there are some people who join, ie; register as members and see that there isn´t a lot more to be had than just being a visitor and carry on as before. That´s why I´ve also asked in the Forum section asked the why are our names visible to all comers. The creation of "hidden" from view areas might encourage visitors/watchers to join and take part. Ok they may also find that what else is offer to be boring or whatever and still not post.
Paul  China

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Ochoin on 02 Apr 2010, 12:48

And some people are just reticent.

In this particular hobby (ies), I guess we'd get our fair share.
Some years before the internet got going for me, I solo gamed and never discussed the hobby with anyone. Now I have a small group of mates off-line & a far bigger group on-line & they can't shut me up!

regards, donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Cor V. on 02 Apr 2010, 13:09

If all the members of the many fora on the web start posting the web would collaps.
It's a fact that only a small % of forum members are active posters.

Don't worry be happy.

(I Babelfished reticent :lol: )
Cor V.  

Posted by Paul on 02 Apr 2010, 13:53

Cor V. wrote:If all the members of the many fora on the web start posting the web would collaps.
It's a fact that only a small % of forum members are active posters.

Don't worry be happy.

(I Babelfished reticent :lol: )

Well there you go mate, your second post. :-) :-) :-) :-) :thumbup: :thumbup: This thread is working :-) :-) Lets all get posting, I doubt the forum will collapse.....or ? :-)
Paul  China

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Cor V. on 02 Apr 2010, 19:12

"Paul wrote: Well there you go mate, your second post "

I think I'll retire now. 8)
Cor V.  

Posted by M. Hazelton on 02 Apr 2010, 19:16

I'd talk... if I felt I'd add something to the conversations, which tend to get rather, well, interesting? :-D :-D :roll: ;-) :thumbup: :nono:
M. Hazelton  United States of America

Posted by Paul on 02 Apr 2010, 19:52

Cor V. wrote:"Paul wrote: Well there you go mate, your second post "

I think I'll retire now. 8)

Too late, it´s a well known fact that after 2 posts you get hooked ;-) :-)
@ Matt, :thumbup: :thumbup: :-) :-) :-)
Paul  China

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Tantallon2 on 03 Apr 2010, 14:28

It may be that all the others are intimidated by your dazzling wit Paul and are reluctant to expose their mediocre offerings in the presence of such genius :-D I know that I approach each post with fear and trembling. :shock:

Alternatively, all the others consider what is written here drivel that is well beneath them. :stare:

I actually don't believe it is either - probably just time. It takes time to contribute to fora. I spend ages thinking up funny things to say for this forum (honestly :mrgreen: ) so I can imagine how other might struggle to find the time :lol:
Tantallon2  Scotland

Posted by Paul on 03 Apr 2010, 15:05

Tantallon2 wrote: I spend ages thinking up funny things to say for this forum (honestly :mrgreen: ) so I can imagine how other might struggle to find the time :lol:

It just needs a bit of practice. :-) :-) When you´ve got the hang of it then it just flows like.......like something that flows. :-)
Paul  China

Moderator Moderator

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 03 Apr 2010, 15:17

Paul wrote:
Tantallon2 wrote: I spend ages thinking up funny things to say for this forum (honestly :mrgreen: ) so I can imagine how other might struggle to find the time :lol:

It just needs a bit of practice. :-) :-) When you´ve got the hang of it then it just flows like.......like something that flows. :-)

Practice? What practice? You don't write your posts yourself. Your wife tells you what to write :mrgreen: And you're posting like a hurricane. Take a look at me, I'm posting now and then, in a very serious way :mrgreen: :lol:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Paul on 03 Apr 2010, 15:25

Peter wrote:
Paul wrote:

Practice? What practice? You don't write your posts yourself. Your wife tells you what to write :mrgreen:

It´s true and I get all the blame for it :crybaby: Nurse ....help!!!!

No, this is a serious point I´m making here......well just about.
it´s also probably a bit pointless. As Tantallon2 jokingly puts it , either people are a bit cautious about posting or think it´s not worth it. But there has to be a large group who fall between the two camps. And there´s the pointless bit to asking the question, if they don´t want to post for whatever reason, then why say so here, it becomes a bit catch 22.
"I don´t post because"...."Oops!, now I´ve posted"

I also have a proffesional interest as is described in my profile :-)

And I´m Posting for both of us Peter, you´ve slowed down mate
Paul  China

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Marshall Nay on 03 Apr 2010, 15:50

Paul wrote:
Peter wrote:
Paul wrote:

Practice? What practice? You don't write your posts yourself. Your wife tells you what to write :mrgreen:

It´s true and I get all the blame for it :crybaby: Nurse ....help!!!!

No, this is a serious point I´m making here......well just about.
it´s also probably a bit pointless. As Tantallon2 jokingly puts it , either people are a bit cautious about posting or think it´s not worth it. But there has to be a large group who fall between the two camps. And there´s the pointless bit to asking the question, if they don´t want to post for whatever reason, then why say so here, it becomes a bit catch 22.
"I don´t post because"...."Oops!, now I´ve posted"

I also have a proffesional interest as is described in my profile :-)

And I´m Posting for both of us Peter, you´ve slowed down mate

This thread has gotten so complicated, I'm callin' in an Archeologist to help figure it out... :shock: :think: :farao: ;-) :-D
Marshall Nay  United States of America

Posted by Tantallon2 on 03 Apr 2010, 23:07

Yes Paul, this is all becoming a bit existentialist. Is this a cry for help? A feeling of inadequacy? Or just too much red wine?

This is, after all, just a forum for commenting on pretty pictures of toy soldiers. If people choose to watch the preambulations of those who drive this forum but keep their opinions to themselves then who is to question their motives? Vita brevis and not all of those who watch feel compelled to act, preferring instead to keep their counsel and instead laugh inwardly....

The gods... I should have been a poet! :lol:

Life is all about not taking anything too seriously (apart from death, which is no laughing matter, unless you are Scots in which case it is hilarious).
Tantallon2  Scotland

Previous pageNext page

Return to Forum & Help