Forum & Help

Include 28mm and larger scales on the forum?

28mm on the forum?

Poll ended at 18 Aug 2013, 11:56

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes : 24

Posted by Benno on 15 Aug 2013, 11:56

This forum has been mainly 1/72 orientated even though it's for all 1/72 and smaller scales. With the new rearranged forum that will soon be implemented (viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14362) each scale will get its own subforums. Most of the people on this forum collect and paint 28mm next to 1/72 and the smaller scales, but are now unable to post their work in this forum. I am thinking of adding a 28mm category to the scales (both historics and fantasy) with the same subforums.

The new forum would look like this:

Scales
    28mm Historics
      Gallery
      Work in progress
      Miniatures News
      Miniatures Talk
      Questions
      Wargaming rules
      Wargaming projects
      Battle reports
    28mm Fantasy
      Gallery
      Work in progress
      Miniatures News
      Miniatures Talk
      Questions
      Wargaming rules
      Wargaming projects
      Battle reports
    20mm - 1/72 scale
      Gallery
      Work in progress
      Miniatures News
      Miniatures Talk
      Questions
      Wargaming rules
      Wargaming projects
      Battle reports
    15mm - 18mm
      Gallery
      Work in progress
      Miniatures News
      Miniatures Talk
      Questions
      Wargaming rules
      Wargaming projects
      Battle reports
    10mm
      Gallery
      Work in progress
      Miniatures News
      Miniatures Talk
      Questions
      Wargaming rules
      Wargaming projects
      Battle reports
    6mm - 1/300 scale
      Gallery
      Work in progress
      Miniatures News
      Miniatures Talk
      Questions
      Wargaming rules
      Wargaming projects
      Battle reports
    1/600 and smaller
      Gallery
      Work in progress
      Miniatures News
      Miniatures Talk
      Questions
      Wargaming rules
      Wargaming projects
      Battle reports

Events
    Upcoming events
    Visited events

General
    General
    Tutorials
    Marketplace

Competitions & duels
    Painting competition
    The Duelling Field

Forum Stuff
    Officer's Mess
    Members

Forum & Help
    Forum & Support

Like I mentioned earlier nothing will change for the 1/72 hobbyists. The 1/72 related forums will be kept intact. Categories that are not scale related won't be put under a certain scale. There won't be an endless list of categories on the homepage of the forum. In fact there will be less categories on the homepage since most of the categories are being put under the scales. The 12 main categories are brought back to 6 main categories (meaning the main page will be half as long as it is now!).

What do you guys (and girls) think about this? Suggestions are welcome. :-D
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Posted by Kekso on 15 Aug 2013, 15:02

Hi Benno,

I think 28mm is great idea. Many of us that paint 1/72 tried (at least once in a lifetime) to paint 28mm.
Maybe some members already have some figures to show. I'll be glad to see some WH, Malifaux, Victrix etc. fantasy and historical figures.
Those could enrich Benno's figures forum. Nevertheless, potentially 28mm figures could threat 1/72 in Painting competition because of their better sculpting and ease to paint.

This is just my 5 cents :-D
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Benno on 16 Aug 2013, 19:28

Kekso wrote:Nevertheless, potentially 28mm figures could threat 1/72 in Painting competition because of their better sculpting and ease to paint.
That is a valid observation. If things get out of hand we can always have two seperate competitions. One for 28mm and one for 1/72 and smaller. :thumbup:

So far most people seem to be in favour of opening up the forum to 28mm... :read:
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Posted by Michel on 16 Aug 2013, 19:44

Thats the Dead of that Forum!
In the Net there´s 1000 Sites with 28mm Figures but no such a Forum like this in 1/72...!!!
Why shall we open it for 28mm Figures???
Is there not enough for 28mm????
Michel  Germany

Posted by mickey mouse on 16 Aug 2013, 19:54

28mm doesn't look good to me also!
1 of the reasons of this forum is to promote the 1/72nd scale. Kiss that goodbye if you allowe 28mm also!
mickey mouse  Netherlands
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Benno on 16 Aug 2013, 20:14

Michel wrote:Why shall we open it for 28mm Figures???
So members of this forum that paint 28mm can also post their work in this forum.

mickey mouse wrote:1 of the reasons of this forum is to promote the 1/72nd scale.
Actually that isn't the reason for this forum's existence. The forum was an extension of my website "Benno's Figures", and since 1/72 and smaller are my favorite scales that's what the forum was about. Now I'm considering opening it up to 28mm too.

As you can read in my first post in this topic nothing will change for the 1/72 painters. The forum will be divided up into scales anyway. All I will do is add two 28mm categories to the scales list. The current 1/72 community won't change.
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Kekso on 16 Aug 2013, 20:20

The fact that only 15 people voted in 30 hours and only 3 replies speaks for itself that this forum is already "ill".
Benno is trying to improve this forum but he's got very few replies on all topics regarding new forum look.
People will kill this forum with their indifference. Last duel was one month ago and even when new duel starts
one couldn't get more than 30 votes (at forum with almost 900 members). Peter is barely gathering guys for
painting competition (and they are almost the same each time). I'm under impression that some guys use
this forum just to promote their blogs (look one photo but if you want more visit my blog). So I don't see how
28mm can hurt this forum much more because we have bigger problems here.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Cameronian on 16 Aug 2013, 20:34

I must admit to being torn on this one. On one hand, introducing 28mm here when all the other forums are mainly 28mm (I know about the 10mm ones), could finish it as the forum's unique quality would have gone. On the other hand, 28mm could introduce more variety, as after all 1/72 is the worst represented scale in figure collecting and wargaming as far as variety in periods goes; Renaissance being the prime example. Either way, I'll still visit and post when I can, but abstaining on a vote as I don't have an axe to grind either on scales or periods.
Cameronian  Scotland

Posted by Benno on 16 Aug 2013, 20:45

Let me stress that all 1/72 scale related categories stay separate from the other scales (28mm, 15mm, 10mm, etc) so you won't see 28mm or 15mm showing up in the galleries, work in progress, battle reports, miniatures news, etc. Just like now you don't see the "smaller scales" in the 1/72 gallery and miniatures news.
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Posted by Ben Bob on 16 Aug 2013, 20:54

I'm for it.
I don't particularly like larger figures, but it could also make the forum even more interesting.
The only reason this could be harmfull is if you stop posting your 1/72 figures, Michael and Michael ;-)
Ben Bob  United States of America

Posted by mickey mouse on 16 Aug 2013, 21:04

I did posted some pics of houses what I am doing right now, Ben. The last few weeks I couldn't due to absence, nothing seriouse though.
mickey mouse  Netherlands
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Ben Bob on 16 Aug 2013, 21:09

mickey mouse wrote:I did posted some pics of houses what I am doing right now, Ben. The last few weeks I couldn't due to absence, nothing seriouse though.

No problem! I was speaking hypothetically 8)
Ben Bob  United States of America

Posted by KGV on 16 Aug 2013, 22:06

I don't have a problem with the 28mm stuff, but then I collect WH40k figures, so go for it, and I'll put up more pikkies.
I am also more of a painter then a gamer (not really very good at painting, but they do). But I paint armies, which I occasionally game with.
This forum actually encouraged me to rebase a load of stuff that hasn't been out of boxes for years. So if starting a 28mm section gets people painting, thats got to be good, right?

And I find that what some people on here can do with figures is pretty mind blowing. Just take a look at TK's, Sho and yar68. Nothing less then inspirational.
KGV  United Kingdom

Posted by Samuel Alonso on 17 Aug 2013, 08:06

Why not ? 28mm is not actually my scale, but I'm interesting to discover this part of our miniature world. It's the same with 10mm... I don't think that our community will faces a great danger with this evolution, if the different scales are clearely separated.
Samuel Alonso  France

Posted by Peter on 17 Aug 2013, 20:29

I have two remarks on all what I have been reading:

1. The painting competition: If it give more contributions when 28mm is allowed here, I don't have a problem with that. But two competitions?? One competition with 16 entries each time, that's what I would like to see. With all scales allowed on the forum! ;-)

2. The blog promotion: No words, just a link: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12832
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Benno on 17 Aug 2013, 20:55

Peter wrote:The painting competition: If it give more contributions when 28mm is allowed here, I don't have a problem with that. But two competitions?? One competition with 16 entries each time, that's what I would like to see. With all scales allowed on the forum! ;-)
I agree that it would be nice to have a full Painting Competition. What I'm afraid of in case of the Painting Competitions is that 28mm will dominate them, so that it won't be fun for 1/72 people to compete anymore. 28mm usually comes with a reasonably high level of painting compared to 1/72 because the 28mm models are larger, have more details, and it's easier to paint them more detailed. Not to mention 40m figures.

If the new forum attracts more new members and attracts old members the 1/72 and smaller competitions might get filled. In that case I would opt for a '1/72 and smaller competition' and a '28mm and larger competition'. Have the smaller scales separate from the larger scales so that 28mm and above won't dominate them as it usually does on other websites.
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Kekso on 18 Aug 2013, 06:19

Peter wrote: 2. The blog promotion: No words, just a link: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12832

Hi Peter, I'm not against blogs and links to them. Even I created one myself. And I didn't thought about you when I wrote
that (and I won't write any nicknames). Your example is opposite of what I wrote. But one can admit that often we can
find posts with one (or none) photos and link to his blog. Can someone explain me what is then purpose of forum's gallery?
Redirection to other's people blogs?
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by west1871 on 18 Aug 2013, 07:20

I am not that up for 28mm being on the forum, nothing against the size but its great having 1/72 forum then again if we loose it altogether I would rather open it up to 28mm. Like people say it might encourage people to pick up brushes again ( me included :oops: ).
A quick question about the modelling section, what's that for?
west1871  United Kingdom

Posted by Benno on 18 Aug 2013, 12:23

It seems the forum will be opened up for 28mm and larger scales. :-D A historic day for the forum! :camera: :beer:

I understand some people are afraid 28mm will take over the forum and that 1/72 gets trampled under the 28mm posts... however since each scale is clearly separated that's simply not possible. The 1/72 community stays intact. With over 100.000 posts in thousands of topics it is still the largest 1/72 forum on the internet. From now on it will just be a 'subforum' of Benno's Figures Forum, that's it. :-D There's no point in leaving the forum out of fear for 28mm since all the 1/72 forums are still there (they're just under 1/72 -20mm). You also don't need to click more because you can access the subforums directly from the main page (so nothing in this regard has changed either). ;-)

Opening up the forum for 28mm actually has benefits for everyone, even the 1/72 collector. After all more members means more knowledge. :read: :lamp:

Some benefits:
    - It's more likely you receive better answers to questions that are not scale related (for example about uniforms and paints),
    - More film and book recommendations that make you start yet another project,
    - Get more inspiration from the larger scales galleries ("ooh nicely painted 28mm Romans, let me grab that old box of Revell Romans!!!")
    - More activity in the Marketplace ("I've been painting 28mm for years but still have all these old Airfix boxes laying around... maybe someone is interested in them?"),
    - Get 28mm painters excited for 1/72 ("That much detail on those plastic thingies? Fantastic! Let me try some!"),
    - 1/72 painters can now show their 28mm work here too (less members leaving and not returning),
    - More tutorials,
    - More people entering the Painting Competitions* and Duels (more eye candy and fun voting!).

There are probably some more benefits to be mentioned but this is all I came up with while writing this post. :-D

*To prevent 28mm and larger to dominate the Painting Competitions the competitions will be divided up into "28mm and larger" and "1/72 and smaller".

I will create the 28mm and larger forums later today. Feel free to post your 28mm work there once they're up. :thumbup:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(PS: I'm still looking for more people to try the new forum so let me know when you're interested)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(PSS: I know the forums on the old forum look terrible. This is only temporarly. In the new forum the forums look like this:

The new forum goes online somewhere in the end of August)
Benno  Netherlands

Forum Admin Forum Admin

Posted by zzed on 18 Aug 2013, 17:14

Sorry, didn't manage to vote here but if I did I would vote against it.
There are a lot of sites coping with the 28mm, and this is the unique forum for the 1/72, putting aside some manufacturer's guestbooks.
So I think it will further watering down the 1/72 enthusiasts community, and we will get nothing in return in terms of quality.
Even if this brings back Ben aka 'Victorius Secret' - I can't recall anyone else here switching to 28mm and leaving, it will not attract new members to join, and new categories will became just an occasionally visited sections.
I do wary that some members will cool off and depart in future, and that the 1/72 subforum part will become 'invisible' to the newcomers and deteriorate as a consequence.
I'm afraid that a masters of the 1/72 will disappear in time, although their work is the most inspirational.

I admit that I have a conservative personality, so I might be wrong hopefully.
zzed  Croatia

Next page

Return to Forum & Help