Gallery

Miscellaneous Napoleonic Cavalry

Posted by Peter on 30 Jul 2022, 11:59

Nice pictures Keith! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by k.b. on 02 Aug 2022, 14:33

Many thanks gents for your comments. Here are a few shots from different angles.

k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by k.b. on 04 Aug 2022, 22:01

And here are a few French Cuirassiers from a couple of different regiments........

k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Santi Pérez on 05 Aug 2022, 00:06

You have made a great paintjob on these fantastic Zvezda Cuirarssiers, k.b. They look wonderful! :drool:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by k.b. on 05 Aug 2022, 19:09

Yep Santi I couldn't agree more, these figures are fabulous! As indeed are most of Zvezda's stuff to be honest. Am talking about their normal sized boxes, not these crappy 2/3 figures in a box rip-offs.

I'm really not sure which are my favourites, the French Cuirassiers, Polish Lancers, Russian Hussars, Russian or Saxon Cuirassiers, all of which are absolutely tremendous to paint.
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Bill Slavin on 06 Aug 2022, 13:54

Just terrific work all around. Your capacity to paint the details makes me envious - things like the wolf tooth pattern on the horse cloths on the Dutch lancers above, for instance. And indeed, I fully agree with you about the Zvezda figures.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by k.b. on 08 Aug 2022, 10:53

Thank you Bill for your kind comments. This is one of the things that is so fascinating about our hobby. We all have our different styles, methodologies, media, motivations, favourite scales, periods, manufacturers, budgets etc. Yet that doesn't stop us from seeing aspects of others' work that both inspire and delight. Some we can adapt to our own styles, some we can't - due to time or other reasons.

But at the end of the day it never ceases to amaze me how many grown up adults love the joy of painting and collecting, wargaming, converting toy soldiers. Sometimes i worry about the future of the hobby........ it seems to me that the vast majority of people that i seem to follow are over 55 years of age. Yours truly is over 60!

One thing is for sure. With the likes of Wolfgang, Chris and yourself inspiring us all, and the gigantic range of minis from the likes of Franznap, Massimo and Alex and accessories now available from the likes of woodland scenics, diorama presepe etc......surely things are not as bleak as i sometimes fear.
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Ochoin on 08 Aug 2022, 12:29

k.b. wrote:Thanks Kekso for you generosity but your truly is not altogether convinced that the smoke is very realistic. I will study a little more to see how i can improve things next time........ (but i thought it was an interesting idea to have two cavalry figures shooting at each other).

Well, I like the effect very much.

On a pedantic note, at that range, the chances of either hitting the other would have been small.
Not that this exchange at that distance would not have happened, but a pistol would have been of more use in a melee when you rammed the barrel into your opponent's ribs before firing.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by k.b. on 08 Aug 2022, 15:40

Thanks Donald for your insight into the effectiveness, or lack of effectiveness, of Napoleonic pistols. However, you might just have inspired me to place a pistol wielding cavalryman about to apply it's handle to an enemy's head in a future battleground scene. If so, methinks I'll have to consult Egbert on how to go about such a conversion.
Speaking of whom, here's another few piccies of a cavalry skirmish between Russians and Napoleon's cavalry, that was inspired by Egbert's stunning diorama of Borodino (if I'm not mistaken).

k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Rich W on 09 Aug 2022, 23:11

As already said by everyone else, fantastic details on those figures and horses. I'm enjoying the evolving little scenes!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by k.b. on 10 Aug 2022, 12:04

This coming weekend i intend to put the final touches to these cavalry figures, once and for all, by adding some stones, twigs and grass to their bases. As well as helping them to blend in better with the groundwork it will add a little more weight and stability.
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Susofrick on 10 Aug 2022, 12:52

Great figures. Looking forward to see more!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by PatrickJ71 on 25 Aug 2022, 19:44

Well, k.b., I'm a little late in this tread (log-in problems, you know) but what a beautifully painted cavalry units.
I understand that you don't know which one you like the most: I wouldn't know either, they all look equally fantastic.
What I like as much as your painting is the enthusiasm and passion for the hobby you show every time you comment. The photos with constantly changing scenes betray that, even though you are over 60, when you are doing your hobby, deep down you are a 12 year old, just like I have been a 12 year old for almost 40 years when I secretly line up my little soldiers.

thank you for sharing.
Patrick
PatrickJ71  Belgium

Posted by k.b. on 25 Aug 2022, 21:22

Thanks a lot Patrick. Your words really made my day!
I truly believe that the older we get, the more content we become with the simple things in life. And let’s face it, what can be simpler than grown up men painting and playing around with toy soldiers…..
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by k.b. on 28 Aug 2022, 02:08

Took a few photos while working on the bases. Hope the photos give at least an idea of how things are done......

With and without decorated bases. Am curious to hear what you guys think......
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by k.b. on 28 Aug 2022, 02:34

........ and a few more close-ups........

k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Ochoin on 28 Aug 2022, 02:36

Exquisite.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Bill Slavin on 28 Aug 2022, 14:20

Without doubt, the decorated bases are a much better match to your terrific painting.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Rich W on 29 Aug 2022, 00:43

The bases do compliment the figures very well. And those close ups of the figures are a joy!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by k.b. on 01 Sep 2022, 12:11

Thanks Donald, Bill and Rich. The more I look it’s clear that the landscaped bases are much more appropriate than the plain bases.
Have also noticed there are a few scratches to cover up on the last Russian’s horse’s belly AND I’ve noticed that I need to paint up some new horses with appropriate coloured saddle cloths ie to match the collar colours after which I can name the individual regiments. Also discovered that the different regiments favored certain horse colours so I’ll also need to take that into consideration.
k.b.  Brazil
Bronze Brush winner

Previous pageNext page

Return to Gallery