Gallery

Howlin's world of Triremes, and Biremes and more!

Posted by Howlin on 01 Feb 2022, 22:36

Hello, This is the start of a perpetual thread I will be adding to with finished pictures of models of Triremes, pentconters, Biremes, Ancient ships and more. All with an ancient theme. I take some creative liberties is a world of realistic inspired yet not 100% historical designs.

These are intended as war gaming pieces yet I seem to enjoy dreaming of making them more than spending time to actually use them. But then again I am just beginning.

First up is a model based off a picture I have found labeled Liberna merchant ship. This model came about from the many left over pieces I had from other models and kit bashed them together to make. I apologize for my poor photography set up, the digital camera I use is really hard to see when I have a perfect focus. Its frustrating to get great pics and I just accept this as a limitation.

I am inspired by the bow and stern yet did not use oars for my model, as it is a long voyage ocean transport. With a crew of 8. In games they can be used to transport units, merchandise or fire siege weapons from its large bow.

Howlin  United States of America

Posted by Ochoin on 01 Feb 2022, 23:51

Simply amazing stuff.
I can't tell you how much I like your efforts.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Howlin on 02 Feb 2022, 04:30

Thank you,

it does take quite a lot of steps and efforts to pull these models off,

I really like what I was doing with water but may have to refine the painting of it. I used some layers of mod podge, and one layer had many tiny bubbles that ended up making it look a little milky. And its hard to say whether or not I added too much white for the wave crest and need to add a thin tinting layer of a light sea green.

I have been hesitating with some due to the oars and trying to solve how I want them to go since if I fix them in place to a base when the models ram each other will be quite far apart. so I am thinking I may try not fixing them in place and putting a dab of hot glue on the ends so they are locked in the hull, but can be moved to the sides. They would extend way past the base for the wake like this one has. This may get a few more paddles broken, but such is the impermanence of such models.

I may actually do a variety of set ups with some having fixed paddles, some may have moveable ones.

I should mention though that my efforts do not include the rigging since I like removable sails and being able to access the surfaces better. I find most rigging just collects dust and I am not so keen on tying all those little knots.

Maybe someone someday can update my work but for now I have no intention of adding rigging.

I think I need to borrow someones smart phone so I can get up close and take some better pics.

Thank you.

Posted by Ochoin on 02 Feb 2022, 04:37

I don't mind the foamy sea at all - it gives a feeling of speed.

The wargaming compromises are just necessary. Rigging, oars etc are necessary for a diorama but this isn't one.
I'd love to sea a bunch of these galleys, on a sea mat, slugging it out in a wargamed naval battle.

The figures are Caesar & HaT (Greek catapault crew?) & make excellent sailors. I'm trying to guess the period - the vessel is a bit too advanced for Bronze Age? Dark Age or Classical Greek?

All wonderful.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Howlin on 02 Feb 2022, 05:18

That is the idea, a large sea battle where one has to maneuver to ram, board, fire projectiles at, and then fight on the remaining ship decks until the "land disappears". there may be some coastal defenses involved as well. Its like a land battle, but the land moves, and the players end up creating the landscape.

I am kind of embarrassed at how crazy I went with buying models and then to add to that all the extra ships I can make with the parts will have not only war ships but also a few merchant/ supply ships.

Good eye on the figures, yes to the HAT catapult crew, and some other Caesar Hittite minis for the white haired captain and guards.

The time period is a little out of place and I am not fixated on any one time because that is too limiting and I love it all. So there will be some early type ships mixed with even some later Roman technology (fire ship). I consider it almost like a pre-flood world or alternate universe where we do not really know what went on, maybe the bronze age never collapsed but grew along side the iron one... and so much could have been lost to time. I think we think that things are so linear but old ships could have existed with newer designs, and new deigns could have been kept as military secrets and hidden through time. We have so little physical evidence to go by and at times the seas were full of ships, and I imagine many different designs were used. I generally like the bronze age and think of it as an alternate universe of that but some will have iron weapons. Though the main protagonist will be Hellenistic/ Greeks vs Romans as far as minis are concerned. But I have ideas for some ships with special crews hired out as mercenaries and allies.

You you have me convinced I do not even need oars, they are such a headache to try to make and keep safe and display with. We will see...

For instance, I will add in some ancient missile throwers right along side the torsion throwers because I love the variety (better pics coming soon)

Posted by Ochoin on 02 Feb 2022, 06:30

Howlin wrote: maybe the bronze age never collapsed but grew along side the iron one... and so much could have been lost to time.

Apart from a few people such as us, I don't think many know what a complete & utter disaster for humanity was the Bronze Age collapse. I'd put it as considerably more catastrophic than the the fall of the Western Roman empire. (you may gather I'm fascinated by the BA too).

I think your estimation of a mix of technologies co-existing in the Ancient period is spot-on. A good example of this is the start of the Iron Age - most farmers & common people still used stone tools as iron was too expensive for several centuries.

Don't beat yourself up on photo quality. It's not bad at all. Look forward to the next installment.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Santi Pérez on 03 Feb 2022, 21:02

Nice to see you back again with your fantastic handmade creations, Howlin. You have done a great work on them. :thumbup:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Peter on 04 Feb 2022, 18:09

Fantastic work! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Howlin on 26 Feb 2022, 09:43

Based off this Internet artwork, possibly my favorite of all my ships. Finally "finished" after a long time of pause. A lot is goin' on in the world but I still make the time to work on models. So hopefully this will help inspire or brighten up some of the gloom. Peace be with us.

The Greek Bow Tower Bireme, The Lion Kings Delight?

I robust, maneuverable, ship with average speed for its size, it's main tactics are a devastating copper reinforced bow ram that can split smaller ships in half or get lodged into larger ones allowing its forward bow tower and archers the advantage in the high ground to rain down arrows. Its tall side walls gives some protection against boarding and to its slingers and small mangonel giving a relentless barrage towards any that try. Its weaknesses are that its units are not well armored and does not have many melee troops to fend off strong boarding parties. Has crew of 24/25 (I will likely use the scorpion in another ship)

Model: Zvezda Greek Trireme kit bashed from many parts from other kits

Minis used: HAT Greek Catapult workers, HAT Alexanders Light infantry, Hat Macedonian Hypaspists, Stretlets Roman senators. HAT roman catapult (may not stay with this model) Mangonel is sourced from some board game that I am not sure which.

Posted by Minuteman on 26 Feb 2022, 11:46

A masterpiece of ancient-world maritime modelling...in 1/72 too! Great work!!
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Howlin on 26 Feb 2022, 23:40

Thank you, a masterpiece for me, in that its better than what I have done, but I am not a master, a novice really. I could do much better weathering techniques, and custom parts for that. I have trouble with my washes getting the right amount of paint on in the right places. Ends up just smudging and darkening some pieces than really getting in the crevices. But I thank you for your support!

Posted by Chariobaude on 27 Feb 2022, 10:09

Howlin, i really love the world you're creating !
Chariobaude  France

Posted by Bill Slavin on 27 Feb 2022, 14:29

Howlin, I think the work on this is remarkable. It's really nice basing and I like your colour scheme a lot. Just beautiful! :yeah: :yeah:
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Michael Robert on 27 Feb 2022, 21:22

Hello Howlin
Looks very elegant, more like a pleasure yacht than a battle ship. Reminds me of Hollywood in the great peplum era.
Very impressive
Greetings
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Posted by Howlin on 27 Feb 2022, 22:43

Thanks! (to all) this definitely is more than a pure battleship, its like a floating royal castle, Which is why I included an old man in a toga, who likely paid for it and insist on taking it wherever he needs to go. Possibly like a secure way to travel as fortified yacht vs pirates and statement of wealth.

I kept the color scheme simple the crew are generally just sailors in tunics with some having portions dyed the blue of the flag. Generally each ship I have planned as a different and contrasting scheme with a main color in mind. I wan't each one to be somewhat distinct with its own character.

Posted by Howlin on 09 Mar 2022, 05:02

This is a mostly unmodified trireme, except for the corvis which was made from the interior rowers benches , the painting is mostly inspired by the box art itself. This come in makers from IMAI, Academy, and MiniCraft. The production quality of the MiniCraft is far superior to the others. Just being thinner and more accurate cast and with no flash. This is an Academy I believe, they are pretty much the same but the plastic is a bit chunkier on this one. I really like this model and they are not hard to convert to a waterline version, and have most of the materials to make a corvis. Its also a great size for gaming to get a few in there.

So its a Roman Bireme warship with a crew of lighter armored troops for a fast and valiant boarding party that strikes hard but is weaker to heavy troops and large ballistics.

Minis used: HAT Republican Romans Hastati & Velites, Orion Roman sailors (for a steersman) HAT Roman Missile troops (for the other steersman and leader), Stretlets Roman senator, Italeri Late Imperial Legion (for the archers) and Zvezda Roman Auxilliary (slinger)

****On a note: I think I need to reassess how I paint these minis. I cleaning with Dr. Bronners soap, and priming with model master acrylic primer, and then painting with tube acrylics. I am finding some older figures are flaking with almost no use and any slight bend to a limb is disastrous. So I may need a new primer method. I hear people use elmers glue? Is this because it just creates a skin around the mini? I didn't think that glue was good with plastic.... and then also find a good sealer. Its too much work to paint these then watch them degrade so fast. Any tips or advise would be greatly appreciated.

These pictures came out a little more blurry but can see some difference light changes make. None of these photos really show it well.

Thank you for your interest. please give a like and or comment!

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 09 Mar 2022, 10:09

You did some wonderful things here Jacob! Like them all! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Susofrick on 09 Mar 2022, 10:11

This is much more than I expected! And I expected much, that is: very nicely built boats. I didn't expect all those nice figures and the water too. Nice!!!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Bill Slavin on 09 Mar 2022, 15:06

Another beautiful boat and figures!
Yes, getting paint to stick to plastic. :eh: I'm not familiar with your primer but there are now some commercial primers formulated to adhere to plastic which I use. I still regularly repaint muskets and swords, although I have taken to covering those with a coat of white glue when I am done painting - not sure if that works or not, but I think the primer makes a difference.

Bill
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by Bessiere on 09 Mar 2022, 19:48

Shame on me for not visiting your thread sooner. These ships are remarkable! I can see lots of kit bashing was done but also you had to craft many parts yourself; I was very curious about the swan, the lion head and the decorative parts on the tower. These are treasures you have created and go way past mere model building. I am very impressed.
Bessiere  United States of America

Next page

Return to Gallery