Gallery

The Mötley crew of 2021 duellists

Posted by Michael Robert on 19 Jan 2022, 18:51

Hi there,
just a quick look at my duelist gang of last year. Jane the virgin is missing and 2 intruders. One of them a first version of a Persian immortal which I didn't like - but the second version was a flop as well. Sadly so, because I really love the figure. Sure I will give it another try.
I liked that the duels allowed me to make progress in painting. Usually I never give so much attention to single figures. I paint armies.

Hope you can reckognize them again.
Let's see the next duels for 2022 :winky:

Greetings
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by PhilC on 19 Jan 2022, 19:11

Hmm, some cork plugs, ok (french wine, I hope :mrgreen: ?) ... I recognize every single figure, except for the one on the bottom right, a musketeer ?
PhilC  Europe

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Kekso on 19 Jan 2022, 19:11

Awesome collection... it was pleasure to duel with you. Thanks.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Bluefalchion on 19 Jan 2022, 19:36

Great collection here! You were an excellent Mr. X even though you only won a few of your duels.

I would counsel against calling any of your figures "a flop." Each of the entries you published were thoughtfully conceived, well painted, and very well photographed (no small factor in determining a duel's outcome).

Some of the best duel entries I have ever done lost, and some even lost in a landslide. I am thinking of my dwarf gladiator, my Ashikage spearman, Mounted Napoleon, and my Zulu War British Officer. But I am still fond of each of those figures, and they hold a proud place amongst all the projects I have attempted.

I know how much work it is to be Mr. X, and how disappointing it is to work hard on a figure and the forum members just don't seem to be feeling it. But, as many commentators mentioned during each of your Mr. X duels, both entries are usually outstanding and it comes down to personal preference as to color selection, painting style, angle of the photo, lighting, and the like.

Deepest respect and thanks again from one Mr. X to another.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 19 Jan 2022, 20:28

As the founder of the Mr X tradition I congrat you with what you have done! You did a fantastic job, even when you didn't win all the duels! It was a pleasure to duel against you! :thumbup: :notworthy:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Bluefalchion on 20 Jan 2022, 07:29

What happened to Joan d'arc anyway?

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Susofrick on 20 Jan 2022, 09:12

A great display and it was a very nice MrX-year. And I am very happy that the lady seems to have beer for everyone!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Michael Robert on 20 Jan 2022, 17:06

Thank you for your kind replies,
To your questions

Hmm, some cork plugs, ok (french wine, I hope :mrgreen: ?) ... I recognize every single figure, except for the one on the bottom right, a musketeer ?

PhilC, I am a wine Chauvinist, only Bordeaux, mostly Côte de Blaye et Haut Médoc and sometimes Chablis for white. That gives me high quality cork plugs and makes me paint even better.
The bottom right guy is a Spanish arquebusier from Mars.

Awesome collection... it was pleasure to duel with you. Thanks

An honour to duel with you, Kekso :-)

I would counsel against calling any of your figures "a flop." Each of the entries you published were thoughtfully conceived, well painted, and very well photographed (no small factor in determining a duel's outcome).

Aaron. I feel like you and like my figures. Just this one did not meet my own expectations. That's why I said flop. Thank you anyway and I admired your duel work just as much.

What happened to Joan d'arc anyway?

Yes, what happened to her? Actually, Jane was abducted by my son :-) His girlfriend has sophisticated photography stuff. So when I complained again not having a good lens and blabla he took her to his place and let his girlfriend have a go at her (the result you've seen). And I lost again :-)

As the founder of the Mr X tradition I congrat you with what you have done! You did a fantastic job, even when you didn't win all the duels! It was a pleasure to duel against you!

Thank you, Peter. And you also do a great job in keeping all the individual duels going. By the way, will there be any in the near future. No we have the 52nd group competition.

So now I am back to mass painting again, but I still have the project to paint now and then single beautiful figures... and participate in duels

Many greetings
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Posted by Bluefalchion on 20 Jan 2022, 18:24

Well then they are supposed to bring Joan back for the group shot!

I look forward to seeing your future projects.

Posted by Emperor on 20 Jan 2022, 19:41

I like Motley crew a lot...They are good painted...
Emperor  

Posted by Dad's Army on 20 Jan 2022, 20:13

Fantastic post, for me it's always cool to see the whole conversation between 2 duelers.
It's also not always easy to keep quiet so as not to tell who Mr. X is, luckily I always succeeded :)
And everyone does there best, and bad painted figures don't exist in my opinion.
The fun we all have in our hobby, is a part of it. I am a bigger looser but I don't mind.
Others will paint better than me for sure, but everyone has his own speciality.
When Benno shows me a figure, I think wow, but sometimes I am happy with my own work as well.
And I know you did as well, dueling is for fun and a cool way to paint figures you wouldn't paint yourself.
A whole new experiance, and you where another member who had the guts to take on this task.
So you can be proud to have done mr. X 2021, thats for sure.

For me it is a big disappointment that with so many members, we can find so few opponents.
The number of voters is also scandalously small.

Thanks for these 12 fantastic figures, let's hope Mr. X 2022 has as much fun with it like you had.
Ohw and just put up his first duel, so let's vote all!
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by PhilC on 20 Jan 2022, 20:22

Michael Robert wrote:PhilC, I am a wine Chauvinist, only Bordeaux, mostly Côte de Blaye et Haut Médoc and sometimes Chablis for white. That gives me high quality cork plugs and makes me paint even better.
The bottom right guy is a Spanish arquebusier from Mars.

Thank you for the info regarding the arquebusier. SInce I live in Lyon, I don't drink Bordeaux very often, rather wines from the Rhône valley or Burgundy, and I prove it:

Tain stands for Tain l'Hermitage, a city between Lyon and Valence, where you can find the following wines: Saint-Joseph, Crozes-Hermitage, Cornas, Hermitage... Nice place indeed :mrgreen:
PhilC  Europe

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Peter on 20 Jan 2022, 22:28

@Michael: 52nd Painting Competition is up and running! ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Ben90 on 20 Jan 2022, 23:25

You did a very good job on all these figures! It was a pleasure to vote!
Ben90  Germany
Golden Brush Winner

Posted by MABO on 22 Jan 2022, 11:33

Dad's Army wrote:
When Benno shows me a figure, I think wow, but sometimes I am happy with my own work as well.

I would love to see some if Bennos fantastic figures again as well!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Michael Robert on 22 Jan 2022, 20:03

Salut Phil

so we have a wine duel :-D
Excellent figure by the way.

These 3 Gentlemen greet you from the South West - home of the bold and courageous

Are you ready to duel :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Je tire mon chapeau
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Rich W on 23 Jan 2022, 02:27

Great to see all the figures together Michael. I think you were unlucky with a few of your duels. And thanks for taking part, I really enjoyed the duels last year!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Graeme on 23 Jan 2022, 06:38

Wonderful collection of figures Michael and they produced some fabulous duels. To deliver a top class entry every month is a most impressive achievement.

The challengers entries were also first rate which means, I think, the real winners were us the audience.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Santi Pérez on 02 Feb 2022, 21:17

Wonderful collection of very well painted and detailed figures, Michael. :love:

Or must we call you Mr. X Robert? :mrgreen:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Return to Gallery