Gallery

The Battle of Antietam ( Sharpsburg) 17th September 1862

Posted by Bessiere on 12 Jan 2022, 22:34

Funny how you "mislearn" things like names sometimes. Thank you for the edification. Poffenberger it is. I know your plate is more than full but perhaps someone with the video editing skills and desires might be able to further your audience. Videos can reach many who would otherwise not see your work and to me that is a shame. Just a basic overview of the battle with a couple personal stories would be a great educational tool. There simply aren't enough paintings of the battle and getting copyright permission can be impossible at times. I know for fact there are many young people with the right skills looking for opportunities. Just planting a seed that I hope will grow to fruition when the time is right. Yes, I am also pitching the idea to Capt. Siborne. The work by both of you deserves a much wider audience. Today's youth are missing out on history almost entirely and yes it's a bit of a personal crusade with me to address that. Cheers, Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by huib on 13 Jan 2022, 14:23

Beautiful made images with your story, Chris. Like an old picture novel.
huib  Netherlands

Posted by PhilC on 13 Jan 2022, 22:32

Excellent scenery! The fight in the cornfield is the one that impresses me the most, as if you took pictures from a movie.
PhilC  Europe

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Susofrick on 14 Jan 2022, 09:21

Not only "Lots to do", but Lots to see! And another great TV-show from you! And just as the last, one of the best!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by despertaferro on 15 Jan 2022, 17:54

This is one of the most interesting posts in all Benno's to me...
Very cinematic way to aproach the subject, not to mention the huge work involved to depict it this way and the care for detail and accuracy you show on every picture.
Some how reminds me Mr. Cryns style, posts that I enjoyed so much, time ago.
Keep them going, please...
Joan
despertaferro  

Posted by Graeme on 16 Jan 2022, 05:59

Excellent stuff once again. The pictures of the skirmishers in the cornfield and the artillery moving along the road are just sublime, real living landscapes.
Graeme  Australia

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by C M Dodson on 04 Mar 2022, 12:34

The Battle of Antietam ( Sharpsburg) 17th September 1862 6.30 AM to 6.45AM

Union artillery from the First Division, First Corps , Captain Munroe commanding are engaging the Confederate batteries on the Nicodemus hill.

The Union First Division, Brigadier General Abner Doubleday commanding, is attacking the Confederate left flank on the outskirts of the West Woods.

Sharpshooters from the Second US sharpshooters, Colonel Henry post commanding lead the way as skirmishers.

The Iron Brigade, Brigadier General John Gibbon commanding, is engaging the Virginians of Jones and Winders Brigades.

The advance of Brigadier General George Meade’s Third Division has been disorganised by a misunderstanding over orders ( bad movement roll) and coordination is being re-established.

In the meantime Brigadier James Rickets Second Division is heavily engaged in the East woods with Georgians from Trimbles Brigade ( Colonel James Walker commanding) alongside the Louisiana troops of Brigadier General Harry Hays.

However, the First Brigade,Second Division, Brigadier General Abram Duryee has passed through the woods and is advancing towards the Smoketown road. The confederate skirmishers have been driven from the Miller cornfield as a result.

Brigadier Ripleys North Carolinian Brigade ( Brigadier General Roswell Ripley commanding) has taken up a reinforcing role adjacent to the Mumma barn and cemetery.

Union artillery, described by General McClellan as ‘batteries of position’ are beginning to bombard the Confederate gun batteries around the Dunkers church position.

These Twenty pounder Parrots are being restricted in their efforts by the reduction in visibility due to the gun smoke. Nevertheless their positions on the Antietam heights give them a panoramic view of the action.

Confederate artillery positioned in front of Sharpsburg attempt counter battery fire on the Union gun positions on the Antietam heights.

On to Richmond!
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 04 Mar 2022, 13:52

Amazing. It's been said Chris' stuff before- they look like photos of the real thing- but I'll write it again.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Minuteman on 04 Mar 2022, 14:41

Splendid modelling work and truly remarkable photography. The sense of distance achieved in these images is very realistic indeed. The gunsmoke and haze is very well done, all adding to the atmosphere. All we need is some 'sound effects' and you might imagine yourself as a 1/72 scale observer at the battle!
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Bessiere on 04 Mar 2022, 16:29

This is like Christmas morning to me, looking at new pictures by Mr Dodson. It's exciting! Very naturalistic scenes and atmosphere with amazing depth of field. Even details like the direction of the sunlight are correct. I'm stunned by the variety of poses and the sheer number of figures that are conversions. Each scene is a masterwork in itself and represents many hours of work but somehow he makes dozens of them. I do love those explosions! I recognize a few Spiera figs in there too. I have a hunch there's more to come and this is just the opening scenes. I had a great-grandfather who was in the 1st Texas and should have been there that day. He must have been a quartermaster as he survived the war and opened a general store. Fantastic preparatory work and photography Mr D. These are superb!

Posted by Patrick71 on 04 Mar 2022, 17:33

What can i say more than what's been said above?
My knowledge of the English language isn't simply good enough...
Maths maybe? These pictures are (fantastic)^2
Thanks for sharing!
Patrick
Patrick71  Belgium

Posted by Bessiere on 04 Mar 2022, 22:26

Where is Hooker? Coming in the next installment? I knew something was missing.

Posted by MABO on 05 Mar 2022, 06:43

I like most the Union artillery on the higher ground. Looks really prefect to me.
MABO  Europe

Posted by C M Dodson on 05 Mar 2022, 06:49

Hello Mr B.

The good general with his staff and Corps flag are on the third picture behind Meade, by the D R Miller farm on the 6.15 AM section.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Mar 2022, 08:54

Hi guys this is an Epic post. :thumbup: Yes indeed! :thumbup:

For larger sized pictures click on any picture for larger sized ones upon postimage.
Or upon here upon Full Editor. :mrgreen: Or increase your screen size of viewing.

:coffee: O Y did i not think of that? BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by John Simmons on 05 Mar 2022, 16:58

Yet another wonderful post, Chris. I confess that I find your period scenery a remarkable achievement all by itself. But the way you integrate the figures into the scenery is equally wonderful. And your photography gives us not even the slightest hint that it's all being done in your garage, Thanks for sharing this terrific stuff with us.

Best,
John
John Simmons  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Iceman1964 on 05 Mar 2022, 19:17

I'm totally addicted .... I want more, I want more ..... Unbelievable work !
Iceman1964  Italy

Posted by Bill Slavin on 06 Mar 2022, 02:11

Another remarkable addition to this fantastic project. I agree with others that the sense of depth and atmosphere, especially from the high ground, is fantastic. It feels like it would be impossible to create such depths of field in a space any smaller than a stadium!
I appreciated this little nod to your gaming background:
“The advance of Brigadier General George Meade’s Third Division has been disorganised by a misunderstanding over orders ( bad movement roll) and coordination is being re-established.”
Bill
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Graeme on 06 Mar 2022, 02:26

Sometimes when I see really good posts I feel like the figures might step out of my monitor. With these shots I feel like I could step into it. :shock:

Astonishing realism!
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Graeme on 06 Mar 2022, 02:26

Sometimes when I see really good posts I feel like the figures might step out of my monitor. With these shots I feel like I could step into it. :shock:

Astonishing realism!
Graeme  Australia

Previous pageNext page

Return to Gallery