Gallery

French and Indian War game: Battle Report

Posted by John Simmons on 19 Apr 2021, 22:47

Finally, after many weeks of waiting, we managed to get together to play our F&IW game. The main features of the table (which I've shown before on this forum) were the Indian village, settlement, fort, and lots of trees.

The French players began unluckily, taking three turns with the dice before the Indians were persuaded to join them. That delay allowed the patrolling the British rangers to block the road, set fire to the bridge, and herd the settlers to the safety of the fort.

Not defending the settlement or the river gave the French side a potential victory point, but it also resulted in the Indians operating at low morale throughout the rest of the game (no scalps, loot, or prisoners from the hated settlement). The Canadians and Indians saved the bridge and skirmished with the rangers, while the British sent both the brigantine (with settlers) and a second company of rangers in whaleboats off the table (following off-table water movement rules). The Indians' numbers allowed them to force the rangers back to the fort, burn the settlement, and surround the fort.

As the French regular infantry began to arrive (their siege train was delayed at the roadblock), the British and Provincials pushed back the Indians on their flank long enough to allow construction closer to the fort of a barrier of whaleboats.

As the French infantry continued to deploy, the British again tried to push the Canadians and Indians back from their flank. But the arrival of the remaining French infantry with their siege train pushed the British forces back inside their defenses.

The French, under fire the entire time, succeeded in digging in their siege (along with some light) artillery with relatively few casualties, and the battle became for a while a protracted and costly artillery duel.

I'll report on the rest of the game (which involved a few surprises for the French players) shortly, when I have some more time.
John Simmons  United States of America

Posted by Bluefalchion on 20 Apr 2021, 03:30

One of the more elaborate wargaming sets I have ever seen for F&IW. Or, any war, actually.

Well done. I will look forward to pt II of this report.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Peter on 20 Apr 2021, 08:33

Thank you for sharing John! It is a pleasure to see such a nice report here on the forum. As said somewhere else, I don't know a thing about wargaming, but I love to see the pictures of it just for the nice painted figures and a nice organized game table with nice made buildings and vegetation. :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Emperor on 20 Apr 2021, 10:08

Great wargame lots of details I especially like the cannon redoubts and fort...
Emperor  

Posted by Minuteman on 20 Apr 2021, 10:56

A great looking game with spectacular scenery. The photo showing the river, the occupied small island and the palisaded Fort is particularly notable for the realism of the water - difficult to achieve. Excellent photographs and all quite fantastic!
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by praga on 20 Apr 2021, 12:22

Beautiful. A period of time that I like very much. A great pleasure to look at the pictures. Would like to play along.
Regards, Jens Hilgraf
praga  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bessiere on 20 Apr 2021, 19:21

What a grand and gorgeous playing field. You have everything. I can't imagine how long it took just to set it up to play. Thanks for sharing pictures of your game, its a pleasure to look at even without playing. Was this up in Fredericksburg or Charlottesville by chance? Regards, Bessiere.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by wilberforcefrog on 21 Apr 2021, 14:00

That is definitely one of the most remarkable game boards that I have ever seen! Every picture is just a joy to see.
wilberforcefrog  United States of America

Posted by Michael Robert on 21 Apr 2021, 19:51

Hi John,
epic set-up, nice conversions and looks a huge game.
All what I like - that's what our minis are all about

Greeting
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Rich W on 21 Apr 2021, 22:27

Surely this board is too big for you to be able to reach all the units?! Looks wonderful, a love of effort has gone into this!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by John Simmons on 21 Apr 2021, 22:38

Thank you all for your encouraging comments. To be honest, I think I enjoy setting up the table almost as much as I do playing the games. This particular game was very entertaining -- partly, I'd guess, because we had to wait for so long to play it. We take turns hosting games (this one, Bessiere, was in my basement in C'Ville). My table is 6' x 10 ', and the very middle is indeed a bit of a stretch; but we all seem to manage OK. The next game I'm scheduled to host will be a real challenge for me, with very different terrain and buildings: the siege of Khartoum.
John Simmons  United States of America

Posted by MABO on 25 Apr 2021, 18:54

Fantastic and huge table. Must be a pleasure to play with it.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by C M Dodson on 25 Apr 2021, 20:22

Really very nice indeed John, especially as this is war games scenery first and foremost.

As in your Fredericksburg battle there is a real ‘feel’ of the period.

This brings to mind ‘The last of the Mochicans ‘ film with its glorious vistas and superb action sequences.

Marvellous.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Graeme on 26 Apr 2021, 02:26

Fabulous looking table and figures, I've come back a few times simply to look at this. Some of the shots just seem to take me there.
Graeme  Australia

Return to Gallery