Gallery

1:72 / 20 mm pulp British/Iraq/Mexico cavalry -HaT 8288

Posted by Umpapa on 16 Apr 2021, 01:12

I love this set, I bought it for its extra limbs. I used upper limbs with rifles, trumpets and pistols to enrich the diversity of my other armies. I added sabers from other sets and created pure swordsmen squadron.

They are quite versatile. I will use them:
- as colonial British dragoons (Boer Wars, North-West Frontier, WW1, Back Of Beyond, interwar, stretching also Dark Africa, Zulu War and WW2).
- as Mexican (and other interwar latinoamerican) cavalry of Huerta and Constitutionalist Army. As Osprey said: "According to the 1923 dress regulations, the sun helmet was to replace the field cap, but regulations were slow to take effect during this decade of military turmoil."
- as Iraq cavalry (both interwar and WW2).

More here:
http://umpapas.blogspot.com/2020/05/172 ... -iraq.html
Umpapa  Poland

Posted by Bluefalchion on 16 Apr 2021, 05:08

I have always had a hard time making most HäT figures look decent. I think it is because the details are blotchly, as if a child sculpted them from play-do. Also the faces are never sculpted very precisely.

You have done about as well with these as can be done. The horses heads are gigantic and their legs are comically skinny. But I appreciate the effort you put towards creating them. The painting guide is helpful, as well.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Minuteman on 16 Apr 2021, 07:54

Excellent painting and basing of these HaT Colonial dragoons!
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 16 Apr 2021, 08:50

What I wrote on your blog:

Peter wrote:We don't discuss these figures on Benno's Figures Forum, we praize them! Wonderfull painted cavalry!
Greetings
Peter

:-D
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Ochoin on 16 Apr 2021, 09:19

Bluefalchion wrote:I have always had a hard time making most HäT figures look decent.

The horses heads are gigantic and their legs are comically skinny. .

I think that like most manufacturers, the quality varies from set to set. I like this set too (not to mention the excellent paint job Umpapa has achieved) but tastes vary, of course.

Can I make a point about 1/72 horses? I think they're often sculpted too beautifully: as if everyone was riding Arab steeds. IMO this is unrealistic & most mounted men would have been riding nags. Again IMO,

The HaT horses are just ugly enough to be believable.
The beautiful Italeri & Zvevda horses, for instance, are almost fantasy.

BTW with regard to Peter's post above, I like that we can discuss things constructively & politely.
I'd probably crawl away if people discussed my figures with too much truth but I do like hearing what hasn't worked & what I could do to improve. Many years ago, it was some one(s) at Bennos that suggested I use washes.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Umpapa on 20 Apr 2021, 22:05

Thank You for all undeserved praises! :)

I like HaT for well designed set of pose and, ease of conversions with soldering iron. Wish they had less elastic plastic.
Umpapa  Poland

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by wilberforcefrog on 21 Apr 2021, 13:52

I like seeing all the different horses in different colors (a horse of another color? I'll take two!) they may not be the most realistic of horses, as noted above, but I think you made them look real.
wilberforcefrog  United States of America

Return to Gallery