Gallery

'Varus, give me back my legions'

Posted by Rich W on 07 Mar 2021, 00:27

Thought I'd give a new time period a go to give me a change from the WSS and Boer War that I'm usually painting. These are my first attempts at any ancients. The figures are from the new Linear A range and I really think it is a well produced set. Any feedback and suggestions on how I can improve these are most welcome!

Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 07 Mar 2021, 00:37

Excellent painting!!! :yeah: :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Bluefalchion on 07 Mar 2021, 04:47

I really like your legionaires. Bold colors really pop. The only advice I would give is to try to eliminate mould marks prior to painting.

Good work.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by PhilC on 07 Mar 2021, 08:09

Very nice first attempt at Ancients :yeah:

As a well drilled army, the Romans certainly took great care of their equipment, so I suppose that some parts of their metallic weapons might shine a little more . That's why I add some silver enlightenments on the metallic parts, especially the sword (but not on the chain mail which usually looks darker).
But I am not a Historian, so my advice has probably more to do with aesthetic than history. And of course, the weapons would not remain shiny very long for legionaries engaged in a muddy zone.

I will add that I paint enlightenments on almost every part of the figures after the dark wash, but then the painting process is much longer.

Hope it helps ;-)

PS: by the way, let me show you my first attempt at painting ancient:

It was the guy in the middle (on the left: colored with pencil - the famous Playmobil Colors, and on the right another Egyptian painted a few years ago).

Just to say how good I find your own "first attempt" :mrgreen:
PhilC  Europe

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by MABO on 07 Mar 2021, 08:28

Very nice to have a close look at the new figures from Linear-a. I like their range and I thinkin a combination they allow to create a very dynamic diorama full of action. I like your brushwork, but share some of the ideas of Aaron and Phil. But that is only one point of view.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by MABO on 07 Mar 2021, 09:07

But I must point out, what a great painter you are, compared to your style not long ago. I found this picture in one of your first posts.

And now have a look at your fantastic romans. :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

And since I had a short but agressive discussion with a (now) former member of this forum, that we are not critical here, I would like to say: To put someone down because you think you are an elitist club is fortunately not the way we are going here. We are all colleagues here and the forum thrives on support and goodwill and a culture of welcome. It's Sunday, but I didn't want to preach a sermon, sorry. :oops:

So keep up your good work and I will follow you! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
MABO  Europe

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Minuteman on 07 Mar 2021, 09:18

I like the figures and the painting is to a high standard I'd say. Well done Rich!

I tend to hold with the sort of image portrayed in the great film 'Gladiator' for the visual look of a Roman army on campaign in Europe at the height of the Empire. Not quite as shiny as we might imagine, and with colours a bit muted. So I think the colours and armour here are just about right.

Interesting also to hear that you have embarked on these Romans as a break from other periods. As you know I am painting mainly Strelets WoSS right now, but I did retrieve a couple of sets of Revell Gauls this week and continued a part finished painting project with them. I am not happy with the results however, and I now think that adopting a distinct mindset for ancient and medieval periods helps; the WoSS is all about colours, lace and uniforms; the ancient Gallic tribes are all about skin tones and subtle colouring, hair tones, muted tartan-weave trousers and shield designs! Very different.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 07 Mar 2021, 10:03

Oh you're getting good my friend. These are marvellous painted! Keep them coming. :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by PhilC on 07 Mar 2021, 11:12

MABO wrote:And since I had a short but agressive discussion with a (now) former member of this forum, that we are not critical here, I would like to say: To put someone down because you think you are an elitist club is fortunately not the way we are going here. We are all colleagues here and the forum thrives on support and goodwill and a culture of welcome. It's Sunday, but I didn't want to preach a sermon, sorry. :oops:

Even if I am not a preacher myself :mrgreen: , I totally agree with what MABO has written. What do we need here ?
1. Good company (even from people with shocking avatars :mrgreen: )
2. Encouragement
3. Constructive criticism and advice
4. Satisfaction for the job done (yes, I CAN get satisfaction sometimes)
PhilC  Europe

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Konrad on 07 Mar 2021, 11:15

I am always pleased when I see well-painted Romans.
Well done.
Konrad  Germany
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Ben90 on 07 Mar 2021, 14:39

They look very good to me, no improvements needed!
Ben90  Germany
Golden Brush Winner

Posted by C M Dodson on 07 Mar 2021, 15:38

Really very nice indeed.

En masse they will look terrific.

We advance our skills through practise, failure and supportive ideas.

I had hoped that my stored ACW guys were ok but they were terrible and hence the mass repainting programme now underway.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Bill Slavin on 08 Mar 2021, 14:44

:yeah: Those look great! No suggestions for improvements - I think you nailed them.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by wilberforcefrog on 08 Mar 2021, 14:54

I think that they look so good, especially the artwork and colors on their shields!
wilberforcefrog  United States of America

Posted by Susofrick on 08 Mar 2021, 15:24

Like these a lot! When I have painted Romans I always re-read old Asterix comics. Nice colours and good literature at the same time. I do remember my first painting attempts, I even remember my first competition entry here and that was so bad I repainted the figures and sent them to Bonn.
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Kekso on 08 Mar 2021, 18:01

I think that these are one of your best painted figures so far. I like them a lot.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by tullo on 08 Mar 2021, 19:03

sorry
find the figures somehow
unpropozonial
or is that fooling me ...

but the painting is very good
tullo  Germany

Posted by MABO on 08 Mar 2021, 20:26

I would not say so, what do you mean exactly? Head, arms., weapons...?
MABO  Europe

Posted by tullo on 08 Mar 2021, 21:30

hallo
mmh... the legs to short and the weapons to big.......
tullo  Germany

Posted by MABO on 08 Mar 2021, 22:11

For me it is ok. I have them and they look good.
MABO  Europe

Next page

Return to Gallery