Gallery

French Line Infantry 1815

Posted by Egbert on 17 Jan 2021, 12:56

Hello dear hobby friends,

today I would like to introduce you to another set of old figures from Airfix.
The figures came on the market in 1972 and were another, new and longingly anticipated figure set in the Airfix Waterloo series

This „little men“ was particularly popular with me and, of course,
the winner in my re-enacted battles of Waterloo.
Napoleon eagles flew mighty over the battlefields in my nursery.
These figures had something mystical about them and therefore always held a special place for me.

Painting these figures wasn't easy either.
Unfortunately the uniforms were not displayed correctly from Airfix.
The figures here are more or less modeled according to the new uniform regulations that were enacted in 1812 and generally referred to as the Bardin regulations.
These men carry a sword and bayonet scabbard on a cross bandolier over the right shoulder,
which makes them all grenadiers.
But these figures all have the shoulderstraps of the fusiliers, not the fringed epaulettes of the grenadiers.
Too bad ... but that doesn't diminish my love for this set of figures and you will still get a special place in my collection.

[

Egbert  Germany

Posted by sberry on 17 Jan 2021, 13:08

Splendid, as always!
There is always that tricky balance when painting figures from that era: The uniforms were colorful, but you mustn't overdo it because there is the danger of producing something that looks like toys. This balance is achieved perfectly here I would say.
sberry  Germany

Posted by C M Dodson on 17 Jan 2021, 13:43

Egbert.

Another revisionist triumph for yourself!

As a child these were a godsend from Airfix in the post Waterloo 1970’s but eventually they went to plastic heaven.

However, despite their many production faults, you have given them a new lease of life.

Superb conversions and splendid painting.

Well done.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Peter on 17 Jan 2021, 13:45

Fantastic diorama with this old chaps. :shock: :thumbup:

I still have mine that I bought in the seventies. Without the box but I still have them. ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MABO on 17 Jan 2021, 14:49

I have mine as well. Got them in a summer holiday in Denmark. I like them very much and I am happy to safe them from my childhood.
Your dio is excellent again. The painting top notch.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by despertaferro on 17 Jan 2021, 19:41

These were my first painted figures, around 1973 or 74 ... maybe ...
Lately I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast ... :eh: :-D

You did magic with them ... They were cute figures, but nothing remotely resembling the masterpiece they have become in your hands.

Thanks for sharing...!

Joan
despertaferro  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 17 Jan 2021, 19:54

Wonderful work!! :notworthy: :yeah: :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by gbvarese on 17 Jan 2021, 20:23

Great Egbert !!!!
The old Airfix French bring me back to about 50 years ago when they were first issued: the very first ones in scale 1/72. This also thanks to the movie Waterloo with the great Rod Steiger and Christofer Plummer, and the tv serial War and Peace both directed by Sergei Bondarchuk . These two stimulated the curiosity and desire of adolescents, all over the world, to paint model soldiers for wargaming Napoleonic Battles. Airfix responded as better as it could to the increasing request of del modellers market. I personally find the Airfix French still attractive and I decided to use them for my Saxon army. The problem is that is quite difficult to find them on the market.
Congratulations!
Gio.
gbvarese  Italy

Posted by PaulRPetri on 17 Jan 2021, 21:26

Egbert my feelings for these figures mirrors yours. In 1972 I was nine years old and I had hordes of these for massive sandbox battles. Unfortunatly all of my personel collection never made it out of the sandbox. However in 1993 I recieved a huge box of these figures from my wargaming buddy and they have been in my French Napoleonic armies ever since. In fact that gift put me on the path of switching all of my wargaming stuff over to 1/72 plastics. Well almost all of it.

Your painting of these figures is in a word masterful. It nearly brought me to tears. Thanks so much for posting.
PaulRPetri  United States of America

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 17 Jan 2021, 21:36

Beautifully done, it must be torture to extract such handsome figures from so ugly a set.
Captain Sibourne  United Kingdom

Posted by Kekso on 18 Jan 2021, 10:36

Such poor figures and you manage to make masterpiece out of it.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Harry Faversham on 18 Jan 2021, 12:20

Airfix from the dawn of time, my first love as a wargamer. I still have over 3,000 of these little warriors marching and fighting. These splendid figures show what can be achieved with 'em by a bloke as knows wot he's doing!

:-D
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by tullo on 18 Jan 2021, 16:24

:thumbup: :thumbup: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
tullo  Germany

Posted by Iceman1964 on 18 Jan 2021, 18:02

This diorama is simply perfect, I love it ! Best compliments :yeah: :yeah:
Iceman1964  Italy

Posted by Bluefalchion on 19 Jan 2021, 05:59

You have created a gorgeous diorama with these classic figures. My favorites are the casualties, especially the man being carried, and the mounted officer. What a pity that he has a mold line running right down his hat and across his face!

Now I will have to go and study the originals on the PSR page to see what conversions you have performed.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by bothree69 on 19 Jan 2021, 15:11

ven if the toy soldiers are very chubby .... I like the coloring and the context ......
(even if I passed on to other subjects)
I'm waiting for other jobs ....
bothree69  Italy

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Michael Robert on 19 Jan 2021, 20:18

Egbert,
all has been said, but I'll say it again. These figures recall memories of childhood, and never did I dream that they can be painted like that, the composition, colours, precision, mood, all in harmony and presenting a jewel of a dio. Congratulations
Some of mine I painted some 20 years ago when I started collecting - some of my childhood are still kept unpainted. Makes me wonder whether I should have a go at these again. Just to see what I am able to make out of it - probably never at a point to be presentable like yours
Greetings
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Santi Pérez on 19 Jan 2021, 22:47

I can almost add nothing new to the mates' comments. With your masterful painting technique you’ve got a worthy match for the Airfix British unit shown in a previous thread, Egbert. :love: :notworthy: :love: :notworthy:

I also remember these French from Airfix fondly from my childhood, as they were among the first figures I had...and still have them from then. ;-)

Best regards. :-)

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Bessiere on 20 Jan 2021, 18:03

Gorgeous treatment of a set I first got myself over 50 years ago. I never dreamed they could be painted to this standard of perfection. Superb work Egbert.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Egbert on 02 Feb 2021, 15:24

My dear friends
many thanks for your very warm comments.
As one can see from this, many of you are probably in my age group ...
The feelings match and some of you feel like me in any case!
Simply only a nice memory of our childhood !!!
Egbert  Germany

Next page

Return to Gallery