Gallery

French and Indian War game

Posted by John Simmons on 23 Oct 2020, 20:01

The next game I'm scheduled to host (pandemic permitting) is supposed to be set in the French and Indian War, so I'm busy arranging the table and painting troops for that game. We agreed to do a game based very (very!) loosely on the siege of Fort William Henry. I'll show the troops in the next post. Here are some pictures of the table (with some work on it yet to be done). The basic terrain features are a road, a river, the lake, and lots and lots of trees (in which the regular troops will move and fight at half efficiency). The habitations are a settlement (near the fort), an Indian village, and the fort complex. The settlement is a small one:

The Indian village is also small, but houses plenty of potential allies for the French:

I didn't have the time or energy to make a proper model of Fort William Henry, so I decided to just use an old fort that I made from matchsticks and balsa many years ago. I vaguely recall being inspired by (and trying to copy some parts of) a fort pictured in a modelling magazine. The fort area includes a fortified camp, with housing for the rangers, militia, and Provincials. The Brits also get one brigantine (like those burned at the actual first siege of William Henry) for support and supply:

John Simmons  United States of America

Posted by sberry on 23 Oct 2020, 20:15

Wow, that's really impressive! Thanks for sharing these pics!
sberry  Germany

Posted by Ochoin on 23 Oct 2020, 20:48

More than a little impressed. I'm a sucker for boats & the log-walled fort is a gem.

Apart from other wonders, the forest! If you don't have the biggest collection of trees, I'd be surprised.

One reason I've never attempted the F&IW (& also WW2 Jungle battles) is the terrain is a real challenge. You've managed it so well.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Peter on 23 Oct 2020, 21:02

Very impressive gaming table! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MABO on 24 Oct 2020, 08:22

I second the feelings of the other. How big is the table? Can you tell us?
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Rich W on 24 Oct 2020, 10:19

Fantastic! I'm really looking forward to seeing some close ups of the figures and the game when under way. I'm very jealous of what you've managed to put together.

I'm lucky enough to have visited Fort William Henry twice in the last few years. It's in a such an amazing location by Lake George.
Rich W  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by John Simmons on 24 Oct 2020, 15:10

Thank you all for your encouraging comments. I too visited Fort William Henry, but only as a child -- I remember buying a small metal cannon there as a souvenir. I think it was that visit that established my lifelong interest in that period of American military history. The table pictured here is 6' X 10'. It is actually made of four folding tables side by side, each 6' X 2-1/2' and easily disassembled (my wife insisted that the table be removeable, so we can still use that space sometimes for other things). The cloth that I made to cover them is long enough to cover a fifth table, so I've occasionally extended the surface to 6' X 12-1/2' (I once did a Gettysburg game, and that length allowed me to squeeze in the entire Union position). The variable size is convenient, and we sometimes do much smaller games. But I do love the look of a big table full of soldiers.

Posted by Kekso on 24 Oct 2020, 16:12

I hope that you left one table for family dinners :D
I'm impressed as well :thumbup:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by C M Dodson on 24 Oct 2020, 17:28

Hello.

For a war game this scenery really sets the bar.

Absolutely wonderful terrain and buildings.

There is a real ‘feel’ of the period from your lovely pictures.

Some of the houses are a bit wonky in the pics and you might like to use a small spirit level to get them perfect.

The fort is brilliant and so is the water ( crumpled tissue ?) .

Boats, brilliant.

Happy battling.

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by John Simmons on 24 Oct 2020, 20:14

Thanks, Chris. The wonky buildings are just sloppiness on my part -- I cleverly set their front edges on a seam in my cloth. I've been experimenting for a long time with various methods of making inexpensive water for wargames. This one is my favorite. I had a few clear plastic drop cloths left from painting some interior walls in my house. I store them crumpled up in a bag to make the ridges and ripples, then just cut off a piece of the right size and spray the less shiny side with some cheap blue paint. The result is very easy, costs very little, and looks pretty good on the table. We did the battle of Valcour Island a few years ago, and almost the whole table was water, islands, and ships.

Posted by Beano Boy on 24 Oct 2020, 22:16

Congratulations upon some very fine collective works.
An Inspiration table top indeed. Much better than TV. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Bill Slavin on 26 Oct 2020, 13:52

I would echo everyone’s comments! That is a very fine looking table, and as someone who takes as much joy in setting up my gaming table as playing, I really appreciate your effort.
Thanks for the water tips. I use an overhead textured fluorescent light cover panel, painted on the back, but your water would be more adaptable to the table.
Slight worries about the citizens of both camps. I hope they make it to safety...
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Return to Gallery