Gallery

My first 1/72 car

Posted by Santi Pérez on 08 Sep 2020, 13:29

Here is the reason why I have temporarily stopped the advance of my diorama with the Pope and the Swiss Guard. :shock:

After seeing some posts on the forum in which fantastic car conversions appeared, I felt like making an attempt in order to include them also in some future dioramas.

These were some of the sources of inspiration, both from Carlos and Quepwik:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23783&p=260280&hilit=Jurassic+reserve+hunters#p260280
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23709&p=259423&hilit=jeepers+is+the+creeper#p259423
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19941

After reading Carlos' very interesting tutorial on reducing cars from 1/64 scale to 1/72, (http://unosetentaydosaventuras.blogspot.com/2018/04/), I realized that was too complicated for me, so I decided on a Cararama-Hongwell car in 1/72-1/76 scale.

The model chosen to experiment was a Hummer I got on eBay, which I wanted to convert into an armored vehicle of one unit of the Spanish Guardia Civil, specifically the GAR (Grupo de Acción Rápida = Rapid Action Group).

The transformations and the painting were not too complicated. The really difficult thing was the realization of the decals, totally handmade with models obtained from internet, modified, passed to scale and printed on virgin calca paper. :sweatdrop:

This is just a first test, which I won’t use in any diorama (please don’t be too hard with your criticisms). I hope to improve with practice and I already want to start with the next of a lot of cars I have bought. ;-)

But first I must finish the Swiss Guard sergeant to continue advancing with the diorama in which he will appear. :lol:

Here are the pictures. The first one with a Caesar Miniatures figure for size comparisons and some more of the car before and after the conversion. I hope you like them. :winky:

Thank you very much for watching. My best wishes for all. :beer:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by MABO on 08 Sep 2020, 14:53

Really cool conversion, Santi. Looks quite impressive. The only thing, due to the way you made them, are the decals, which destroied some of the details, but this might not be a real "problem". I did not know, what virgin calca paper is, so I cannot say if one can improve the development of secial decals can be done in another way.

But generelly speaking: :notworthy: :occasion: :wave:
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 08 Sep 2020, 17:20

MABO wrote: :notworthy: :occasion: :wave:

+1 :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece
Silver Brush winner

Posted by Wiking on 08 Sep 2020, 18:06

Santi Perez wrote:
My first :-D car.

Your first car is an armor plated Hummer! (Remember Santi decided who will be the Pope ! in 1/72)
From the Guardia Civil.
Get it for one €.
And paint it in silver.
:joker:

Santi Perez wrote:
please don’t be too hard with your criticisms.

Puh ! Where to start ...

The concrete camouflage of the whole figure is a bit to homogeneous for my taste. :-D

The hit are really all the decals.
Nice result.
:thumbup:
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Bill Slavin on 08 Sep 2020, 18:52

That is an interesting and original project. The decals are very good!
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by santifernandez on 08 Sep 2020, 19:39

Nice job,Santi.
santifernandez  Spain

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Carlos on 11 Sep 2020, 17:01

It's very good!.
Remember that I warned you that it is a path of no return.
If you can make resin copies of the cars (wich is very, very easy, believe me Santi, "es una zoncera", is more easy make a resin copy of a die cast car than a one figure, really), you can make modifications and scratch as if it were plastic and the possibilities of fun in combination with figures, are unlimited.
From mad max, to race cars, to abandoned and rust...whatever is.
Carlos  Argentina

Posted by Santi Pérez on 13 Sep 2020, 22:51

Thank you very much for your kind words, friends. :thumbup:

MABO wrote:...The only thing, due to the way you made them, are the decals, which destroied some of the details, but this might not be a real "problem". I did not know, what virgin calca paper is, so I cannot say if one can improve the development of secial decals can be done in another way...

Bill Slavin wrote:...The decals are very good!

Wiking wrote:...The hit are really all the decals...

It has been the first time not only that I paint a car but I make and apply my own handmade decals. I hope to improve my technics with the time and much more practice. ;-)

Wiking wrote:...Your first car is an armor plated Hummer! (Remember Santi decided who will be the Pope ! in 1/72)...

Wiking, I don't forget that I must make a Popemobile...and I think I already have the suitable vehicle for the conversion. It will only be a matter of time that I will build it, sooner or later. :mrgreen:

Wiking wrote:...From the Guardia Civil. Get it for one €. And paint it in silver...

Don't think that it's so easy to find a complete painted Guardia Civil vehicle in this scale and less for 1 €. Otherwise, your suggestion could be very interesting. :tongue:

Wiking wrote:...The concrete camouflage of the whole figure is a bit to homogeneous for my taste. :-D...

Well, it depends completely on the enviroment, doesn't it? Perhaps the concrete camouflage isn't very good for a rainforest, but could be perfect for an urban action among concrete buildings under construction, don't you think so? :winky:

Carlos wrote:It's very good! Remember that I warned you that it is a path of no return.
If you can make resin copies of the cars (wich is very, very easy, believe me Santi, "es una zoncera", is more easy make a resin copy of a die cast car than a one figure, really), you can make modifications and scratch as if it were plastic and the possibilities of fun in combination with figures, are unlimited.
From mad max, to race cars, to abandoned and rust...whatever is.

I remember your warning, Carlos, but I received it too late, so I have already begun that path with no return. :lol:

I can imagine the wide range of applications it has, but the making of resin copies both from vehicles or figures is an unattainable goal for me at the moment. :(

My best regards. :-D

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by OwenChpw on 14 Sep 2020, 01:15

The decals do look difficult, but even if detail is damaged you could always chalk it up to weathering? Maybe my eye is unpracticed but it looks fine to me, I like the overall impression, and don't really have any obvious criticisms. I just think it's neat.
OwenChpw  Australia

Posted by Peter on 14 Sep 2020, 12:43

Pity you didn't give this car to your Swiss Guards! ;-)

Great work Santi! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Santi Pérez on 16 Sep 2020, 22:28

OwenChpw wrote:...I like the overall impression, and don't really have any obvious criticisms. I just think it's neat.

Peter wrote:...Great work Santi! :thumbup:

Thank you, OwenChpw and Peter. I promise you that my next car will be better, though it won't be yet the Popemobile. :mrgreen:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Return to Gallery