Gallery

Ensigns (Fanions) and Marching French1808

Posted by Bill Slavin on 08 Aug 2020, 14:41

I was inspired to create some French line infantry command stands carrying ensigns as a break from the 1804 pattern flag with its eagle tipped standard. You don’t see too many examples of these, with a search on the Internet only turning up a few ensigns still surviving. The ensigns (ensignes, often confusingly referred to as fanions which were the pennant carried by companies as rallying points), created in 1811 were in response to the directive of 1808, that had limited the eagle to one per regiment.

Here are a few pictures of the results, along with a pic of the HaT set of early to mid war marching French I painted up at the same time. There is lots more information on the fanions, my build, and a sheet of generic ensigns I created on my blog.
https://tinywarsplayedindoors.blogspot.com/2020/08/ensigns-fanions-and-marching-french1808.html

Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 09 Aug 2020, 02:10

Well those are impressive. I'm reminded of old oil paintings in the art gallery for some reason, it has that vibe for me.
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by Bessiere on 09 Aug 2020, 03:50

Knockout job with both these sets Bill. The marching set I did last year and really like them despite some crudely sculpted bits. They have character and a nice set of options; like the command set only as you say the details on it can be challenging shall we say? These require a good deal of added work to make nice figures and kudos for showing the way to handling this set. Considering the importance of the command figures every gamer out there should have at least a couple of these sets. Being fairly new to war gaming the historical accuracy isn't a game changer for me but I suspect as the years go on one becomes more and more minded to have these kinds of details accurately represented and ranks appearing as realistically as possible.
You have done a bangup job with both these sets and I'll be looking hard at your examples to help me put mine together in the future. Regards, Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Bluefalchion on 09 Aug 2020, 05:47

I wonder if human beings will still be wargaming the Napoleonic period in the year 2115? Two centuries have passed, and the fascination with those men has not really waned.

Simply beautiful work on those fanions and marchers, Bill. The comment about the similarity to an oil painting was apt indeed--I had a similar reaction when I saw these pictures.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Thomas Mischak on 09 Aug 2020, 06:47

Dear Bill,

thank you for the new pictures.
Very interesting - and very good painted figures!

Bye
Thomas
Thomas Mischak  Germany

Posted by C M Dodson on 09 Aug 2020, 07:27

Fantastic work Bill.

These chaps look just the part and your painting is excellent.

Lovely photography as always.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Konrad on 09 Aug 2020, 08:14

The time of Napoleon is not my epoch.
But you can see a lot of figs and dios from that time in the forum.
But I have to say that the composition of figure and photo is particularly successful here.
Very nice work.
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Bill Slavin on 09 Aug 2020, 14:10

Bessiere wrote:The marching set I did last year and really like them despite some crudely sculpted bits. They have character and a nice set of options; like the command set only as you say the details on it can be challenging shall we say?

Yes, I remember seeing your figures here, I think, and was inspired to get some. Challenging is to say the least!

Thanks for the kind comments. I think the "oil painting" aspect (I like that!) is because they were shot under an incandescent light which gives that yellowy hue. Old oil paintings often yellow with age, if stored in the dark.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by lobo on 09 Aug 2020, 20:18

Congratulations. Your are improving your techniques constantly...
Antonio
lobo  Spain

Posted by Peter on 10 Aug 2020, 12:52

Excellent painted figures again Bill! Keep them coming! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Santi Pérez on 10 Aug 2020, 22:04

I agree with everyone, another fantastic job, Bill. :thumbup:

It’s always the same with your works: I don’t know if I like more the figures themselves, so well painted, or the environment that surrounds them, so well achieved. :love:

Congratulations. ;-)

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Return to Gallery