Gallery

Marquess of Argyll's Lifeguard

Posted by Ochoin on 02 Jul 2020, 01:32

For the Covenanting armies of the ECW - the Campbell's bodyguard :

And he'd need one.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Graeme on 02 Jul 2020, 11:15

Seriously? When did the Campbells ever make any enemies?

Good looking figures though. And the heraldic flag looks great but armour might be a wise choice for the lad carrying it.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 02 Jul 2020, 11:43

That's a nice little unit!
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by Ochoin on 02 Jul 2020, 21:30

Graeme wrote:Seriously? When did the Campbells ever make any enemies?

There is at least one pub - in MacDonald country- that has a sign that says, "Campbells not welcome".

Archibald, the first Marquess, was an unpleasant man of course but in religious wars, pretty well everyone was unpleasant. Scotland, as I'm sure you know, is dotted with places where religious martyrs from both sides were done to death.

slainte, donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Minuteman on 02 Jul 2020, 22:06

Nice figures Donald. Are these by Tumbling Dice?

It remains a (minor) regret of mine that, owing to lack of affordable and readily-available plastic 1/72 TYW/ECW figures and enough different sets , I went for the metal 15mm option instead a good few years ago. The larger scale is by far my preferred one, and even now I could be tempted to go larger still and embark on mid C17th armies in 28mm...but I have far too many projects already.

As a sassenach and therefore less-than-familiar with rivalries amongst the Scottish peoples during the religious wars, can you say whether the unpleasant Archibald had any friends south of the border? Or was he just unpopular everywhere apart from in his own household?
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Ochoin on 03 Jul 2020, 00:59

Minuteman wrote:Nice figures Donald. Are these by Tumbling Dice?

It remains a (minor) regret of mine that, owing to lack of affordable and readily-available plastic 1/72 TYW/ECW figures and enough different sets , I went for the metal 15mm option instead a good few years ago. The larger scale is by far my preferred one, and even now I could be tempted to go larger still and embark on mid C17th armies in 28mm...but I have far too many projects already.

As a sassenach and therefore less-than-familiar with rivalries amongst the Scottish peoples during the religious wars, can you say whether the unpleasant Archibald had any friends south of the border? Or was he just unpopular everywhere apart from in his own household?

My Covenanter & English Royalist armies are Tumbling Dice with a very few plastics.
I really like painting TD figures. The range isn't large for the ECW but covers the important stuff & the amazing array of heads allows you to avoid too much sameness.

Good question. I don't know but I can't imagine he would have. You might think the extreme attitudes of the Covenant would have earned them some approval from the English Puritans (an equally unlovable lot) but Cromwell certainly didn't treat them well. Of course nationalism is a factor here.

It's all a bit muddy. Montrose claimed, just before his execution, his views weren't contrary to the Covenant & I strongly suspect the Campbell was more interested in his own advancement rather than the Kirk's. We do try to include some of these facts in our wargaming with our Event Cards.

eg BURN THE WITCH: one of your P&S units will depart the battlefield to search for witches in the villages of a neighbouring region.

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Gallery