Gallery

Late Achaemenid Persian Army

Posted by Fire at Will on 19 Apr 2020, 20:48

Keeping track of my completed units

My Persian heavy infantry archers, that took a while to finish. I've assumed that units are relatively consistent in appearance

Ideally I would have put the helmeted figures in the front ranks, but the posture was wrong and I couldn't be bothered with so many head swaps

The next are the Hat Persian medium cavalry and they split into two poses with and without visible armour, so I decided to organise my units using just one type even though it reduces the variability.

So "mediums" to the left and "heavier" to the right, three units of each.

So these will go with my Scythians that I posted earlier to provide more light troops. Just waiting for some decal paper so I can try printing some shield decals for the Karkardes.
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by Germanicus on 19 Apr 2020, 21:44

I love these bold colorful palettes
Germanicus  Italy

Posted by Bessiere on 20 Apr 2020, 02:35

Germanicus wrote:I love these bold colorful palettes
Me too! Those blue harness and reins just knock my eyes out. I love it. Very expressively colored as it should be. These were Persians after all.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Kekso on 27 Apr 2020, 21:12

Me too
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Marvin on 29 Apr 2020, 09:56

Germanicus wrote:I love these bold colorful palettes

Me too. (This has become a 'me too' post. ;-) )

A very striking and attractive collection.
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by erpapishulo on 29 Apr 2020, 16:55

wonderful colours..waiting to see the persian hoplites!
erpapishulo  Cameroon

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Konrad on 29 Apr 2020, 17:16

Colorful bunch of ancient warriors.
Very nicely done. :thumbup:
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Graeme on 30 Apr 2020, 05:25

I love the look of these colourful and exotic troops. They look particularly magnificent contrasted against the plain desert sand mat. It occurs to me that the original Persian armies must have had much the same effect.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Fire at Will on 30 Apr 2020, 07:12

It's been a while, since with the good weather I have had to concentrate on the garden and repainting the conservatory. These are the HaT Persian heavy cavalry, this time I have kept the mix of armour over/under the tunic.

Posted by Fire at Will on 30 Apr 2020, 07:13

Fire at Will wrote:Keeping track of my completed units

My Persian heavy infantry archers, that took a while to finish. I've assumed that units are relatively consistent in appearance

Ideally I would have put the helmeted figures in the front ranks, but the posture was wrong and I couldn't be bothered with so many head swaps

The next are the Hat Persian medium cavalry and they split into two poses with and without visible armour, so I decided to organise my units using just one type even though it reduces the variability.

So "mediums" to the left and "heavier" to the right, three units of each.

So these will go with my Scythians that I posted earlier to provide more light troops. Just waiting for some decal paper so I can try printing some shield decals for the Karkardes.

Posted by Fire at Will on 01 May 2020, 16:38

So delayed from March due to the lack of decals (and a lack of faith that I could paint a passable design) here are the Karkardes, the Persian Hoplite equivalent.

Some close ups.

I would have placed the more obviously heavily armoured figures in the front rank, but they didn't fit as well

And a rear view

Posted by Fire at Will on 02 Jun 2020, 06:56

Catching up with last month's painting here are the Late Achaemenid Persian Takabara which I have based as Peltasts (LMI)

Having created decals for the Kakardes I did the same for these, but it is not perfect as the shield edges are quite rounded, which meant I had to paint all around the edges to match

The figures are mainly HaT with a few Caesar added

Posted by CliosPaintingBench on 02 Jun 2020, 07:08

Wow look at the diversity of colours on them! Love the shield decals and the overall look of the army.
CliosPaintingBench  Australia

Posted by Mr. Andrea on 02 Jun 2020, 15:10

you are doing an amazing job with those Hät figures! Really, pure eye candy.
That will be my next ancient army. May I ask where have you got the decals for the shields?
Mr. Andrea  Europe

Posted by Konrad on 02 Jun 2020, 17:43

I'm really impressed!
Fantastic work .
Konrad  Germany
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by MABO on 02 Jun 2020, 18:59

Wonderful BIG colourful army!
MABO  Europe

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 03 Jun 2020, 00:09

Very impressive armies of antiquity and quite wonderfully painted. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Fire at Will on 03 Jun 2020, 07:05

Mr. Andrea wrote:you are doing an amazing job with those Hät figures! Really, pure eye candy.
That will be my next ancient army. May I ask where have you got the decals for the shields?

I originally bought 15mm Persian decals from LBM (Little Big Men) in the hope they would work, but they were too small. LBM only made 15mm and 28mm versions and refused to make a 20mm version even though it is a simple matter of up scaling by 50%. So I did what I disapprove of, which was to copy their decals scale them by 150% and reprint on decal paper. It was a lot of expense but it worked out well. I also mixed in a few of my own designs based on Persian symbols on the web. Now I have the paper and the experience I will probably try this for other shields

Posted by Mr. Andrea on 03 Jun 2020, 09:01

Fire at Will wrote:I originally bought 15mm Persian decals from LBM (Little Big Men) in the hope they would work, but they were too small. LBM only made 15mm and 28mm versions and refused to make a 20mm version even though it is a simple matter of up scaling by 50%. So I did what I disapprove of, which was to copy their decals scale them by 150% and reprint on decal paper. It was a lot of expense but it worked out well. I also mixed in a few of my own designs based on Persian symbols on the web. Now I have the paper and the experience I will probably try this for other shields

It work out fantastic!! Really amazing shields
Mr. Andrea  Europe

Posted by Fire at Will on 04 Jun 2020, 06:30

The last of May's output is a pair of Late Achaemenid javelin armed light cavalry units, a brace of bow armed and another unit of Scythians

Figures are quite a mix of Hat and Zvezda, I prefer the Zvezda horses for light cavalry, so I used them with the HaT riders. then vice-versa with the Scythians so they would better match my old Rospaks

As before I have based them so they can deploy either closed up for melee ( as per the javelin armed cavalry) or sirmishing, like the horse archers

In case you hadn't spotted them, the Scythians are on the extreme left.

Next page

Return to Gallery