Gallery

Seven Years War Austrians

Posted by Rich W on 09 Apr 2020, 16:09

Here is my attempt at Austrian Seven Years War Infantry. These are from the Hat set. I tried a few different washes for the white coats including Army Painter quick shades and a Vallejo grey wash. However, I'm not particularly happy with any of them. Could anyone recommend a good wash to use for white coats in the future?

Thanks for looking and any feedback is very welcome.

Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by MABO on 09 Apr 2020, 16:21

White is allways difficult. But as far as I know the uniforms have been a little off-white and since they are made of wool the colour you gave them is not bad at all. Maybe you could highlight them with a white dry-brushing. Maybe the result will suit you then...?!

And in this case I would recommend some blacklining for the white belts, maybe.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Bessiere on 09 Apr 2020, 18:12

Mabo's advice is solid. Blacklining of the belts and distinct sections help set things off. I've ended up using black wash that I water down quite a bit and build up gradually in questionable areas. Your painting looks very good, a few touches and i think you'll have figures you're really happy with.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Emperor on 09 Apr 2020, 18:52

Great painted...As for washes for white, I remember Carlo Antonio instruction on painting white parts...In stead of whashes first you paint part that is white with light gray...Than apply two medium tin layers of white...
Emperor  

Posted by Marc the plasticsfan on 09 Apr 2020, 23:04

I give them a coat of Klear first, to make them shiny (and smooth) and then use Army Painter dark tone (the black tint). I “water” it down a bit with white spirit, and drag it away if it clumps. Works for me.

The gloss varnish reduces the tendency of the Dip, or a wash, to stain the underlying colour. It does still darken though, so if you want brilliant white (say, for straps) then reapply after the matte varnish stage
Marc the plasticsfan  United Kingdom

Posted by Graeme on 10 Apr 2020, 05:31

You're a brave man for attempting all white uniforms Rich and I think you've got a good off white appearance with these. I think that's probably what white looks like in the field.
Graeme  Australia

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by CPN on 10 Apr 2020, 10:07

Hi ,
Great attempt. White is difficult but we know the uniforms were not really white at least for the soldiers.
Can I suggest you a tutorial http://waterloo-miniatures.over-blog.co ... hiens.html
And the results are very good.
I used it for some Austrian dragoons and I will take pictures later today.
Hope this helps.
Stay safe everyone.
CPN
CPN  France

Posted by Michael Robert on 10 Apr 2020, 23:03

Hi Rich,
white in former times never compared to today's white. All white pigments - well, the immense majority today - is titanium dioxide. This stuff only existe since roughly 100 years. All former whites were pigments which never had the same brightness nor covering.
Textile "white" means basically, bleached and "not dyed". So, all "white" textile before 20th century should be broken. I like your choice. Some manufacturers propose broken whites: eggshell, cream or other names.
Leather was treated with zinc oxide or cheaper - chalk - so more white than just bleached textile.
Also, soldiers wore their stuff until it fell off their body. So it was not necessarily freshly washed when on the road. When on the march, they even had to sleep in it.
Other times - other habits

Slight blacklining helps to create contrast.
Have fun and keep up the good work
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Return to Gallery