Gallery

Akagi's Zeros Prepare for Attack on Pearl Harbor

Posted by chules on 28 Mar 2020, 19:29

Hello,

I've collected WW2 1/72 scale figures for more than 20 years. I've been lurking in this forum for a number of years but finally decided to come out of the shadows.

Below are photos of my attempt to recreate in 1/72 scale the Akagi's Zeros as they prepare for the First Wave attack on Pearl Harbor. The deck, island, and flagmast are made completely from scratch. The Zeros are Witty diecast re-decaled with the correct tail numbers. The figures are plastic, resin, and metal and come from several different companies with a couple of conversions in the mix.

If you're so inclined, you can find additional photos at: http://ww2in172.com/

Thank you for your indulgence and I hope you enjoy the photos. Comments, questions, corrections, and observations are welcome.

Best regards,

chules

chules  Kenya

Posted by Paul on 28 Mar 2020, 20:00

Amazing :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
Paul  China

Posted by Bluefalchion on 28 Mar 2020, 20:56

That sir, is how to perform a spectacular entrance. Very well done.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Wiking on 28 Mar 2020, 21:27

Very nice pic with background.
A very rare theme well done.
In your link you collect all the options of figures who are available. Nice.

:yeah:
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Bessiere on 28 Mar 2020, 21:37

"Climb mount Niitake" . Excellent recreation of the flight deck preparing for action. I believe the US knew it was coming since all the carriers were out to sea.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Ben90 on 28 Mar 2020, 22:47

Bluefalchion wrote:That sir, is how to perform a spectacular entrance. Very well done.

I agree! Welcome to the forum! :yeah:
Ben90  Germany
Golden Brush Winner

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by MABO on 28 Mar 2020, 22:53

Super airplanes and carrier! And a warm welcome here!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Bluefalchion on 28 Mar 2020, 23:20

I have always found it so odd that the RJN aircraft carriers had wooden decks.

Posted by Santi Pérez on 28 Mar 2020, 23:46

First of all, welcome to the forum, chules. ;-)

Bluefalchion wrote:That sir, is how to perform a spectacular entrance. Very well done.

I completely agree with Bluefalchion. You have put the presentation in the forum for new members on a stratospheric level. :drool:

I love your diorama, full of details and great work. Congratulations. :thumbup:

Best regards.

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Bessiere on 28 Mar 2020, 23:58

Bluefalchion wrote:I have always found it so odd that the RJN aircraft carriers had wooden decks.

The US steel embargo made the Japanese use wood and paper in aircraft as well. Wood was easy to come by and repair while steel was in short supply. Welding was a sparse skill but the Japanese were master woodworkers and many sailors were experienced in that profession.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by C M Dodson on 29 Mar 2020, 05:09

Welcome to the nicest forum in town!

Your modelling and presentation is superb.

It takes me back to the generally overlooked but excellent film Tora,Tora, Tora.

The airfield attack in that film, before CGI nonsense was spectacular, just like your work.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by sberry on 29 Mar 2020, 08:43

This is a very nice scene, full of interesting details. And beautifully photographed, too.
All in all, a great first entry - and now everybody is curious to see more of your work...
sberry  Germany

Posted by Egbert on 29 Mar 2020, 09:38

Hello chules,
first of all: welcome to this forum. :-D
It's nice that you step out of anonymity with your work and let us all
share in your extraordinary dioramas with very unusual themes.
I have looked at the different models on your website and can only say:
My greatest respect ... absolute top 1/72 work. :oops:
Also that here presented model, shows that you are a true master in detail and research.
Your scratchbuilded works are of the finest quality and the painting is also very amazing.
The whole scene is perfectly coordinated and accordingly fantastic photographed. :thumbup:
Please keep it up and let's all immerse, with your pictures, in your modelmakingworld. :-)
Egbert  Germany

Posted by Konrad on 29 Mar 2020, 11:18

A rare topic that was implemented excellently.
Stunning work !!!
But I'm even more impressed with the incredible research.
The war from the Japanese perspective is rare.
Nice to see that you stepped out of the shadow.
Welcome to the forum.
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Kekso on 29 Mar 2020, 11:43

Fantastic. Welcome to the forum. I hope you will enjoy it as much as we did while watching your work.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Bill Slavin on 29 Mar 2020, 14:59

Extending my welcome to the forum, as well! It is a great place to post - as Chris said, the nicest forum in town.
You have done a wonderful job, full of detail and action. Congratulations!
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bluefalchion on 29 Mar 2020, 16:08

I agree with all the comments in this topic so far. I will also add that a visit to your blog proved quite rewarding. It is truly impressive to see the vast research and collaboration necessary to achieve this astonishing result. A labor of many many years, but quite obviously a labor of love. Tell me, what in particular drew you to this topic?

Posted by chules on 29 Mar 2020, 20:50

First, I’d like to thank everyone for the incredible welcome. I honestly didn’t expect it. Thank you so much for all the kind words.

Paul – I’ve visited your website many times and have marveled at how you can bring life to any figure, even the mediocre sculpts. When I saw your comment I was honestly thrilled.

Wiking, Egbert, and Bluefalchion – Thank you for checking out the website. We all have our vices and playing with my one-inch soldiers is mine. The website provides an opportunity to share the hobby with like-minded guys. We're normal after all!

C M Dodson – “Tora, Tora, Tora” is one of my favorite movies. I’ve seen it at least a dozen times over the course of the last 40 years and it never gets old.

Sberry and Egbert – Indoor photography has always perplexed me. Until this diorama, I had always taken my photos outside. This is probably the first time that my indoor pictures came out ok. As they say, “even a stopped clock is right twice a day.”

Konrad – To me, the research is always the most challenging – and fun – part of a project. Executing it into a diorama can sometimes be a drag.

Bluefalchion – I find everything about the Second World War fascinating – not just the Pacific War. I think in this case I bit off more than I could chew. In fact, I regret somewhat having started this project, as it took so long to complete and kept me from focusing on my primary interest – the Desert War.

To everyone who commented – I was so encouraged by your comments that I started working on a diorama I had been contemplating for quite some time – one of Marseille and his Bf 109. It'll be a few months but it'll be a lot of fun.

At any rate, I’ve included four more photos that I thought you might like. Just curious: I wonder if anyone out there can figure out how I made the glass lantern in the third photo.

chules

chules  Kenya

Posted by Bluefalchion on 30 Mar 2020, 05:39

Was the lantern made by pouring water-effect epoxy into a small cylandrical mould?

Posted by Egbert on 30 Mar 2020, 06:54

chules wrote: Just curious: I wonder if anyone out there can figure out how I made the glass lantern in the third photo.

I once turned a kerosene lamp out of a 3 mm acrylic stick ...maybe you used the same technique.

Egbert  Germany

Next page

Return to Gallery