Gallery

War of Spanish Succession

Posted by JuneHensley on 27 Oct 2022, 21:20

Wow, man!!! Why do they look so cool? Thanks for sharing!! You've inspired me to try doing some figures too. The thing I love the most about your work is the flag. You've made it look too realistic. I guess if I had tried making those figures, my hands would have shaken.
JuneHensley  United States of America

Posted by T. Dürrschmidt on 28 Oct 2022, 19:28

Everytime it´s a real pleasure to see your WSS minis. This is a quite interesting period for me, because some of the action took place in my area. The town of Amberg was "shelled" by Austrian troops from the hill nearby the city. Nowadays you still can see the "Amberger Knödel" (Amberg dumpling), a cannon ball at the entrance of the church.

T. Dürrschmidt  Germany
Silver Brush winner

Posted by Rich W on 30 Oct 2022, 00:29

Thank you for your kind comments!

Maybe at some point i will get all the bases out at the same time...it is certainly something I enjoy when other members display all their collections combined for one big photo! I do have some units that still need basing (but have been posted on here already), so perhaps then.

Thomas, it is always great when you live near such interesting historical sites. During my recent holidays I wondered whether some of the locals who lived so close to such important historical sites actually have any interest/awareness at all about their local area?!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Rich W on 30 Oct 2022, 00:36

Next up-Grenadiers a Cheval. Once again Strelets have produced outstanding figures that I really enjoyed painting. As part of the Maison Du Roi, this unit did not serve at Blenheim.

Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by JuneHensley on 31 Oct 2022, 12:24

JuneHensley wrote:Wow, man!!! Why do they look so cool? Thanks for sharing!! You've inspired me to try doing some figures too. The thing I love the most about your work is the flag. You've made it look too realistic. I guess if I had tried making those figures, my hands would have shaken.

Please, man, don't stop! You know, I saw a similar work while I was in Amsterdam. We went for a free tour Amsterdam, and there we found a small representation of Amsterdam. It's very detailed work! So, hopefully, I'll manage to do at least one figure. Thanks for sharing. Keep us updated!!!
JuneHensley  United States of America

Posted by MABO on 01 Nov 2022, 07:44

Wonderful painted unit again. I like the "warmer" atmosphere in some of the photos.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Minuteman on 01 Nov 2022, 15:49

Fine work again Rich, and the colours you have used for the uniforms can only denote these as elite French cavalrymen. Once again, you have excelled in painting the unit flag. Well done!
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by Kekso on 02 Nov 2022, 17:21

I love those grenadiers :love:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Rich W on 15 Jan 2023, 23:18

I've not had much time for painting over the past few weeks, but have managed some reinforcements for my dismounted French dragoons, which are now waiting to be based (when I find some suitable barricades to go on the bases). In the meantime, I've finally got around to basing cavalry I painted a couple of years ago. I can see the difference in styles compared to some of my more recent units (and indeed even in the figures in this unit, as I painted them over two different times), but I'm still happy enough with them.

First up, British cavalry-Woods squadrons at Blenheim.

Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Fire at Will on 16 Jan 2023, 07:46

Really nicely painted and based unit
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by MABO on 18 Jan 2023, 21:27

Great horsemen!!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Peter on 24 Jan 2023, 15:31

Every unit is wonderfull painted! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by dykio on 30 Jan 2023, 21:11

very inspirational stuff and perfect painting. :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

thanks to you i bought al lot of the wss figures to start a new periode....so now i have to live for another 146 years in stead of 128 years to finish these :-D
dykio  Netherlands

Posted by Rich W on 30 Jan 2023, 23:32

dykio wrote:very inspirational stuff and perfect painting. :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

thanks to you i bought al lot of the wss figures to start a new periode....so now i have to live for another 146 years in stead of 128 years to finish these :-D

Sounds like the perfect investment of your time!!! I'll look forward to some updates in around 146 years time...
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Minuteman on 31 Jan 2023, 12:13

Somehow I missed your post earlier this month, so allow me to add my compliments on a very fine-looking unit of British cavalry here. Great painting and basing. Well done Rich!

Posted by Bill Slavin on 31 Jan 2023, 14:38

Like Minuteman, I missed this too, but agree, it is a very fine looking unit and a wonderful addition to the collection.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Rich W on 10 Feb 2023, 00:01

Thanks for all your generous comments. This next batch was based recently but painted back in 2021. French Chevau Legers or Gendarmes (I cannot remember which ones I painted these to represent...). Hopefully I'll have some new figures to post soon!

Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Bessiere on 10 Feb 2023, 00:58

Superb work on these cavaliers Rich. Strelets has done a great job with these recent sets and I can feel your inspiration through your painting. It invites you to try your hand at doing some of the same figures. That's about the highest compliment I got. Well deserved.
Cheers,
Bessiere
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Minuteman on 11 Feb 2023, 12:11

Fine work Rich, and one 'from the archive' if you painted these back in 2021. I too have a backlog of almost painted figures from roughly the same date!

Rene Chartrand in one his 'armies of Louis IX' books (Helion press) indicates that (in his opinion) the Gendarmes and Chevaulegers wore basically the same uniform during the early part of the C18th ie: both had red/scarlett cuffs. I am not entirely convinced of this, and having the black cuff differentiation with the Gendarmes wearing this distinguishing colour is fine in my view, certainly 320 years on! And just to confuse the matter further, Kronoskaf indicate that in their view both of these guard units wore scarlett coats with black cuffs. http://kronoskaf.com/wss/index.php?titl ... son_du_Roi

Certainly, as you have painted them these gentlemen look suitably dashing.

With Fire at Will having completed his WoSS figures (for the time being) and you continuing to turn out nicely painted units, I feel that I am in a state of having to 'catch up', but no pressure as I am pleased to say that - after a slow and somewhat difficult few months, the painting table is now awash with British and Allied units, scenery and some barricades, all work in progress.

Posted by Fire at Will on 11 Feb 2023, 15:01

Minuteman wrote:Rene Chartrand in one his 'armies of Louis IX' books (Helion press) indicates that (in his opinion) the Gendarmes and Chevaulegers wore basically the same uniform during the early part of the C18th ie: both had red/scarlett cuffs. I am not entirely convinced of this, and having the black cuff differentiation with the Gendarmes wearing this distinguishing colour is fine in my view, certainly 320 years on! And just to confuse the matter further, Kronoskaf indicate that in their view both of these guard units wore scarlett coats with black cuffs. http://kronoskaf.com/wss/index.php?titl ... son_du_Roi.

In Robert Hall's book Standards and Uniforms of the French Cavalry under Louis XIV 1688-1714
The uniform (of the Chevau-Legers) was always completely red and decorated with gold lace into which silver was mixed to differentiate them from the Gendarmes.

The black cuffs seem to have appeared in 1715. Regrettably I have have used black for my cuffs
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Previous pageNext page

Return to Gallery