Gallery

Self made Austro-Hungarians

Posted by gbvarese on 09 Mar 2020, 16:33

Dear Forummers,
I've been always remarkink the lack on the market of Nap. Austro-Hungarians with shako. During the Napoleonic period a lot of Hungarian regiments were part of the various Austrian Army Corps that fought the French and their allies. I've even asked various experts to make a mould for me in silicon- rubber in order to produce my Hungarians myself......nothing to do. I therefore decided to try myself. After studying several videos and reading articles on this topic, I set up to work. The first results were frustrating, but i didn't give up and finally i obtained acceptable models. They are not perfect, but I think they are satisfying enough to stand proudly in the battlefield along with their colleagues made by the various official producers.
The posted pictures represent: the final models duly painted, the mould: obtained modifying a Hat soldier; a few converted figurins ready to become the matrix for the mould.
I would appreciate your comments.
Gio. Varese.
gbvarese  Italy

Posted by Bessiere on 10 Mar 2020, 08:36

Very nice! Looks like HaT grenzer bodies with Austrian line infantry heads. The results look very good - what are you casting them with? metals? I have a similar complaint about the lack of Austrian hussars and don't feel the Italeri French hussars make very good substitutes. Would love to see Hat step up to the plate and make these units for us.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by C M Dodson on 10 Mar 2020, 08:51

Very nice work.

I have the Hat troops both Grenzer and Line.

Franznap are currently discounting Francescos fabulous Austrian range of figures.

They are, as always beautiful and worth a look for your officers etc.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by gbvarese on 10 Mar 2020, 09:28

Dear Bessiere and Dodson,
Basically I modified the marching soldier of Hat set n°8027. I added: Hungarian knots on the breeches, a new cocade and a new pompon both in milliput of the correct size. I've casted them in double component resin. This material is good even if, once dried, is very stiff and brittle therefore the model must be handle with care. It would interesting to know whether a more flexible resin exist on the market.
I'll give a look to Franznap site: are their soldiers compatible with the other plastic 1/72 models?

Best regards from Italy, entirely declared red zone.

Gio.
gbvarese  Italy

Posted by Bill Slavin on 10 Mar 2020, 14:19

Gio, so sorry about Italy! My cross-Atlantic gaming buddy is also quarantined there for the foreseeable future. :(
These look great and are inspirational. Congratulations for taking that big step and making your own - I think the results look terrific.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by C M Dodson on 10 Mar 2020, 14:49

Hi,

The Franznaps are a true 20 mm and can appear small against some of the ‘monsters’ that manufacturers of our scale deem 20mm.

However, they do mix well and the variety of units is very appealing.

Your troops however are lovely and are a lot better than my old attempts at casting.

Plaster of Paris, lead and concerned parents!

If HAT ever get their act together regarding producing their otherwise beautiful troops then they should work very well for you as well.

I would love and indeed have asked for the chance of using their troops for Antietam.

If things stay as they are I will have to proceed without them.

In the meantime, I wish you and your lovely country a swift return to more normal times.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bessiere on 10 Mar 2020, 16:27

I did make a unit of Franznap Austrian hussars but found I much prefer plastic figures. I worked in metals my whole life so I may have a bias but I don't care much for having to glue arms etc. They look fine scale wise beside all my other 20mm. I'm conflicted about getting some of their Austrian Uhlans - I began converting some ESCI polish lancers by shortening the czapka and removing the epaulletes but grew weary of the process - guess it's not my thing. If accuracy weren't important to me I could save myself some headaches but I know many here can identify with that issue. I will go see about this sale at Franznap so thanks for the tip!

Posted by gbvarese on 10 Mar 2020, 19:48

Dear all,
I would like to thank you for your positive comments. This encourage me to go on with my work. I'll soon post other self made model soldiers that I've recently finished.
Best regards.
Gio
gbvarese  Italy

Posted by Bessiere on 10 Mar 2020, 20:11

All praise is well deserved Gio. You have succeeded where many of us don't dare go. I know I have dreamt of molding my own figures but I don't have the perseverance to see through any project like that. I look forward to seeing what else you may conjure up in the future. Good luck with the sickness going around, hope you stay well.

Posted by gbvarese on 25 Mar 2020, 00:12

Dear all,

Thanks to your encouragement, I've finished my first Austro Hungarian battalion, Rgt Hiller N° 2, completely made by myself, as I've said in my previous post. The only original element is the Hat's officer. The difficult with this resin is the bubbles that forms inside the mould; you therefore have to carefully check the entire figure and gently eliminate them away, which sometimes is very difficult. Now I'm much more experienced than in the beginning, but I can't tell you the number of soldiers that I had to throw away before obtaining a satisfying result.

Now I have to prepare other five Austro Hungarian battalions in order to complete Gen. Bianchi's division.

Thanks a lot for your comments.
Gio.
gbvarese  Italy

Posted by Beano Boy on 31 Oct 2020, 01:20

i like them all. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Return to Gallery