Gallery

My first project this year …

Posted by sberry on 28 Jan 2020, 17:00

… is actually not a new project. Rather, I have put together unused photos that I had from all my old projects of the last 20 years and made a little movie.

Around the turn of the millennium, I had started collecting figures, buildings, vehicles and all that stuff. I took me several years before I really had time to start diorama projects around 2004, and it was in 2008 that I finally had completed my first two scenes. Since then, I have completed 19 scenes (plus three Sci-Fi scenarios, which I have omitted here, because that’s another story).

It would have been tempting to put the latest = best projects at the end of the movie, to get a sort of climax with respect to the quality of the dioramas. But I decided to sort the scenes rather according to their intrinsic chronology, so we start in pre-Roman times and end with Late Antiquity.

Now what can you expect when you are willing to sacrifice half an hour of your time and watch the movie? It’s a pretty typical sword and sandal movie, I’d say: You will see decadent emperors (well, one emperor to be precise), lots of soldiers in shiny armor and lots of barbarians in exotic costumes, of course some epic fighting, hard working slaves, but also impressive monuments, golden statues, scenes of utter opulence and even … yes, some nudity.

Direct embedding of Youtube videos seems to work no longer, but you can click on the GIF:

sberry  Germany

Posted by Michael Robert on 28 Jan 2020, 17:50

Hi Sberry,

your movie idea is great and your dios are - well, we've said that before and I'll repeat it again with pleasure - also super great.
One point however, the pictures jump too quickly. I want to take a look and - plouff - already the next one. To my mind, you can multiply the duration for each picture by 3. It will be more a slide show than a movie, but better effect.

Cheers
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Peter on 28 Jan 2020, 18:08

Hey Stephan it looks real nice but as Michael says the pictures pass to quick. If you send us a code we can replace it! ;-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by sberry on 28 Jan 2020, 18:47

I wanted an animated GIF as a teaser for the movie, but now I realize that some people might mistake that GIF file for the movie itself. I’m sorry if this created confusion; I have replaced the GIF by a plainer version without the flickering. I hope this creates an incentive to really click on the link!
sberry  Germany

Posted by Michael Robert on 28 Jan 2020, 21:32

Works crazy well, your film.
Didn't watch all yet, but what I saw is already a real film with most interesting content
This is really an opus on its own - cutting it all into a story, adding the music etc
Thank you very much

Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 28 Jan 2020, 23:21

Great stuff dreams are made off. Yes i like your You Tube presentation a worthy project in its self. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bessiere on 29 Jan 2020, 04:26

Really top notch work all around, video included. I really like the format which I think show your scenes even better than the pictures many of which I have seen before. Next video coming in 2040? I hope so!
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Susofrick on 29 Jan 2020, 09:12

Looks great! Already one of the best movies this year! And I liked the shorter GIF-version too.
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 29 Jan 2020, 11:11

Wonderful presentation of your excellent work! :yeah: :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Santi Pérez on 30 Jan 2020, 20:08

You have left me speechless, sberry, both for your wonderful dioramas (most of them already known and admired here in the forum) as for the amazing video you've made to present them. I have added it to my YouTube favorites. :love:

My very best congratulations. :yeah:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by lobo on 01 Feb 2020, 09:41

Really a useful project. I have seen it with my daughter that is studying “the Romans” at the school. And I´m going to send the link to my teacher at the university…
Congratulations Sberry¡
lobo  Spain

Posted by sberry on 04 Feb 2020, 11:03

Many thanks for all your comments! It was a tremdous amount of work to get this finished; I've been working on the project since March 2019. But it was also a tremendous amount of fun I have to say.

Bessiere wrote:Next video coming in 2040? I hope so!

There is some hope that already in 2020 another movie will be released! But the bad news is that it will be one of my absurd and freaky Sci-Fi projects again…

lobo wrote:Really a useful project. I have seen it with my daughter that is studying “the Romans” at the school. And I´m going to send the link to my teacher at the university…

Wow, I feel honored, many thanks again!
sberry  Germany

Posted by Beano Boy on 04 Feb 2020, 12:25

i look forwards to the Sci- Fi topic... it all makes for a bean feast of fun. BB
Beano Boy  England

Return to Gallery