Gallery

Spanish Civil War

Posted by Peter on 04 Aug 2021, 20:15

Great work again Joan! :thumbup:

These look a bit glossy? :eh:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Graeme on 05 Aug 2021, 06:22

You are doing an excellent job of depicting the many and diverse participants in this conflict, with help from Minairons of course. Keep it up, I'm sure we all want to see more.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Kekso on 05 Aug 2021, 15:18

Awesome. I could not expect less from you.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Santi Pérez on 05 Aug 2021, 18:54

Another wonderful unit joining your great and growing armies of the Spanish Civil War, Joan. And so well historically documented as always. :love:

Great work. :thumbup:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by despertaferro on 05 Aug 2021, 19:43

Hello, thank you very much for your words.

Peter, as you probably know, I’m still tied to my old Humbrol enamels. And I don’t know if because of Brexit or Covid or both, it is impossible to find them in Barcelona`s shops. Just what it is remaining from the old stocks. And I'm running out of matte coate (I was well provide, believe me... :xd: )
Since this is an essential step in my painting style, I am forced to find alternatives that, at the moment, do not work very well. Sometimes a little shiny, often leaving a sediment in the cracks, which covers the contour effect of the dark wash.
Still working on it... :-D

Graeme, Spanish Foreign Legion and the Catalan "Karl Marx" Militia Battalion are next... ;-D

Kekso, I can feel the pressure... :stressed:

As for the 13th International Brigade ... (Brigade Drombrowski, poles mostly)
It wasn't the most glamorous of all ... Unlike the 11th (Thälmann) and its role in defending Madrid (advertising efforts were made at the time to exaggerate their acchievements, because the Republican government was interested in giving value to communist forces and hiding the key role played by the different militias who really had the weight of defense, but over whom the governement had none or very little control) or the 15th (Abraham Lincoln) with its British, American and Canadian battalions (which I am planning to do, all of them... 8) ), the 13th only played a discreet role on secondary battlefronts.
But I chose the 13th for only one reason: in its Palafox battalion was the Naftali-Botwin company, made up exclusively of Jewish volunteers. And this I absolutely want to do.

Figures are the usual mix of everything that could fit the period. This time I wanted to give them a winter look because, maybe one day, I can make something suitable for Teruel's battle (the SCW Stalingrad...) and I wanted to see how they could look like...

The two Renaults are from First-to-Fight.

All the best!

Joan
despertaferro  

Posted by despertaferro on 05 Aug 2021, 19:45

Thank you very much Santi for your encouragement ...

Joan
despertaferro  

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Peter on 08 Aug 2021, 10:52

I hope you find a solution for it Joan! I don't have a shop near by that sells humbrol enamels, but maybe someone else on the forum can help you. :-)
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by despertaferro on 10 Sep 2021, 13:24

Reinforcements for the nationalist side, the Spanish Foreign Legion.
More information later ...
Enjoy
Hello
Joan

despertaferro  

Posted by Kekso on 10 Sep 2021, 13:40

Not my period of interest but still great and enjoyable work.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Minuteman on 10 Sep 2021, 13:54

Superb! great modelling, figures, groundwork and painting; those Panzer 1s look formidable in this context, despite becoming obsolete just a few years later. Great photography also.
Minuteman  United Kingdom

Posted by huib on 10 Sep 2021, 16:01

Fantastic, what great and interesting armies. I'm much fond of the eclectic collection of guns, vehicles and uniforms. All in a lovely style.
huib  Netherlands

Posted by Flashcad on 10 Sep 2021, 16:27

These are absolutely superb photos.
Cheers
Flashcad  China

Posted by Peter on 10 Sep 2021, 20:08

Wonderfull work again Joan! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Michael Robert on 10 Sep 2021, 21:02

Great dios, Joan
do I see some conversions of Orion figures?
Felicidados

Michael
Michael Robert  France

Posted by despertaferro on 12 Sep 2021, 16:34

Hi gents...

Sorry Michael, there are no conversions this time (except for the tank commander, with Hat's body and Minairons' head, a small change in the position of the arms in one of the gunners and the flag bearer). All figures are Minairons metal and BUM's plastic. The BUM set is SCW Spanish Foreign Legion and I have turned Minairons ’generic nationalist infantry into legionaries by choosing the most appropriate figures and painting them appropriately.
Bum is well known for their shitty stuff, but surprisingly, in a rare moment of common sense, they produced 2 excellent plastic sets and an acceptable 3rd one, all related to SCW.
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=625
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=784
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=1045

The PzKpfw IB painted panzer gray is S-Model, while the camo one is First to Fight, as is the 10.5 cm leFH 18 provided by Germans in support of nationalist forces.
The captured T-26 is plasticmade Minairons. The turret completely painted as a Spanish nationalist flag may seem a bit out of place, but it is based on a real model.

Many thank's for watching!

Joan
despertaferro  

Posted by Santi Pérez on 14 Sep 2021, 19:52

despertaferro wrote:...Bum is well known for their shitty stuff, but surprisingly, in a rare moment of common sense, they produced 2 excellent plastic sets and an acceptable 3rd one, all related to SCW.
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=625
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=784
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Rev ... ?id=1045...

I completely agree with you, Joan. I also have those three sets and I really like them. In fact, I have some legionnaires ready to paint from time ago, but I can't find the right time to do it due to the many projects I try to do at once. :sweatdrop:

By the way, you have done a wonderful job with your legionnaires. Congratulations! :love:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bill Slavin on 17 Sep 2021, 14:31

Thanks for these, Joan. Another beautifully painted addition to your SCW forces. And your armour painting is as excellent as your figures! I love the Spanish flag on the turret.

Bill
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by despertaferro on 18 Sep 2021, 11:10

Catalan Anti-Fascist Militia.
Karl Marx Battalion.

There are a few interesting details and curious things on this unit...

First, I have included some real characters on it: the female machine gunner is the dutch militiawoman Fanny Schoonheyt. She joined the Militia from the first days and fought in Barcelona to help stopping the fascist coup and later on the Aragon front. On the Bookmobile truck base, with leather jacket, Muriel Rukeyser, an american poetess who's german lover, Otto Boch, joined the militia. He died in combat in 1938. And with skirt and black beret, the polish journalist Gerda Pohorylle. Better known by her pseudonym, Gerda Taro, she was lover and companion of the world famous Robert Capa and was the first woman to become war photographer. She died at the age of 26 in the battle of Brunete, run over by a tank.

Second, vehicles: The tank is an IGC-Sadurni manufactured by Benach, a factory located in the Catalan town of Sant Sadurní d'Anoia that before the war produced excellent caterpillar tractors for industrial and agricultural uses. Three versions of this vehicle, an artillery tractor, troop transport and an armored one, were manufactured. They were reliable vehicles that worked well. But the chief engineer belonged to the CNT, an anarchist union. And when the Communist took control of the Republican army, he was removed from office and the works stopped after just a few copies of each type were built. So, a very rare model this one.
The Ford Bookmobile truck. The two main aims of the Republican government were to take unproductive land from the hands of the large landowners (mostly members of the aristocracy) and redistribute it among the peasants who worked it, often in conditions of semi-slavery, and to put an end to the endemic illiteracy of the lower classes. Great efforts were made on education and, once the war broke out and in order to continue this task, the Generalitat (Catalan government) distributed these mobile libraries among the units at the frontline. They provided not only books and newspapers to read, but also help iliterate soldiers to write letters home.

Third, petrol bombs. There is a base with a couple of militiamen making use of them. The two main types are portrayed: the one with a piece of cloth stuck inside the bottle neck and the most professional with a lab test tubes with sulfuric acid and potassium chlorate attached to the bottle. This last one is better because is safer to transport and in case of night combat there is not ignition flame that could delate your position.

Minairons vehicles (resin and metal) and Minairons (metal), BUM, Zvezda and Caesar figures.

Thanks for your time!

Joan

despertaferro  

Posted by T. Dürrschmidt on 18 Sep 2021, 18:08

Impressive army. I like the different types of tanks....Russian, German, French.....and the weird armored cars and lorrys.
T. Dürrschmidt  Germany
Silver Brush winner

Posted by Bluefalchion on 19 Sep 2021, 06:00

Fantastic stuff! You had me racing for wikipedia for more information on your named historical figures from this unit.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Previous pageNext page

Return to Gallery