Gallery

Battle of Austerlitz

Posted by ADM on 19 Sep 2019, 19:26

This is a diorama I've finished more than 25 years ago, the ground represent the Pratzen hill where took place most of the action for this famous battle, of course it is used also for others battle (wargames). It's the french against the Russian, Prussian and Austrian coalition.

At this time (in the 1990) there was not much 1/72 napoleonic figures available in plastic (what a big difference with today !) so you will recognize plenty of Esci, some Airfix and a few revell, that's all. For this period I had to paint some Revell 7th years war Austrian artillery and cavalry because the subject wasn't available for the napoleonic period, I think it's still relevent for the early battle of 1805. There's few figures in metal : (Napoleon himself, a french marshal, Koutouzov) and some french ammunition wagons.

So, enough talk ! :-D here is the result with plenty of photos, it also show my skill many years ago, with my new work in progress (1812 campaign of Russia) I'm painting now even more details, more figures and it will be bigger than this one !

ADM  

Posted by Michael Robert on 19 Sep 2019, 21:38

Ohé l’amiral
It’s grand and epic. Everybody or nearly, has painted these figures. So these are classics. Like old feelgood movie
One thing is obvious from the diorama. The Russians a d Austrians have not a wink of a chance and the lonely Kutusov seems lost and sad
Thanks for your contribution
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by XbriX on 20 Sep 2019, 07:08

Now this is cool! Love the painting and just how big it is.
XbriX  Poland

Posted by Susofrick on 20 Sep 2019, 08:27

Great to see all these oldies! Have them all except the artillery. Are the ammunition-wagons home-made?
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Emperor on 20 Sep 2019, 13:11

Nice diorama and very detailed... I wanted to make something like this...
Emperor  

Posted by Bill Slavin on 20 Sep 2019, 14:53

That's an impressive number of painted figures! And the base you have built is nicely done - that must take up a lot of real estate in your house. (I'm glad to hear you get other uses from it!)
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bluefalchion on 21 Sep 2019, 11:12

Pretty impressive setup! Have you created the photographs recently, or were these taken back when the diorama was first built?

And what are your plans for these figures once you are no longer using them?
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by dykio on 21 Sep 2019, 17:44

Hi Thiery,

Amazing and for your standard this must be an average amount of figures :-D . For me this is already huge !! Now i was calculating a bit but i think you paint at least 1000 figs every year and being busy for at least already 25 years means at the very least 2 5 0 0 0 figures :shock: :shock: :shock:

i dont even have that much unpainted soldiers :-D

Laterrrrr
dykio  Netherlands

Posted by ADM on 21 Sep 2019, 18:48

Sosufrick, the brand for these white metal ammunition wagons is "Fine Scale Factory", it was the only one available in 1/72 scale when I built them. It's like Franznap, few parts to glue and great quality.

Bluefalchion, I took those photos a week ago, and I will still make some battle on this diorama in the future !

dykio, I don't have that much painted figure because I'm also building houses, planes, tanks, vehicules, warship, diorama and so on, I dont know exactly how much figures I have already painted, but it's several thousands, and still painting more every years.
Napoleonic project require much more figures than WWII for example.

I have some others big diorama already finished to show for others period of History, you will see this next year !
ADM  

Posted by Bessiere on 04 Oct 2019, 18:59

This is incredible... the number of figures and the quality of painting represent an investment of time and attention that is staggering. I started painting 1/72 figures perhaps 6 months ago for me this looks like 5 years of work. I do have a question as to the bicornes on the Austrian artillery - were those historical uniforms of Austerlitz carried over from the SYW? Inspiring work and thank you for sharing with the rest of us.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Graeme on 05 Oct 2019, 17:41

Finally my computer decided to show all of your pictures.

This is a fabulous dio, excellent rendition of the Pratzen Heights, hordes of splendidly painted troops and pictures that give a real sense of the action. You've really made the most of what was available too.

I love the shots of the Guard Chasseurs smashing through the infantry.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Beano Boy on 06 Oct 2019, 00:27

Thank you for posting.
The old figures certainly give me that feel good factor,
as i too along with my then steadier brush style painted
two or four boxes a week.

Good memories of my rainbow colored times.BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by ADM on 10 Oct 2019, 00:31

Bessiere, in my dio the austrian artillery wear the tricorn instead of the bicorn, but it's not wrong because the tricorn was still in use in 1805, some in the french infantry should wear the bicorn too but the Shako was already available in 1804 ans equiped many french regiment in 1805

So it's all about how may troops were wearing the tricorn, bicorn and Shako in 1805, but all those hat were worn by troops as well as civilians. and the early bicorn look like a tricorn :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicorne#/ ... .1_(1_of_4).jpg

So no problem with historical accuracy, just some arrangement from what was available at that time.
ADM  

Return to Gallery