Gallery

Dragoons!

Posted by Bill Slavin on 16 Sep 2019, 14:00

I finished up a brigade of French Dragoons this week, figures I began work on a year or two ago with the 2nd Regiment and completed in the past weeks with the 9th and the 14th. These units weren't necessarily brigaded together but all fought in Spain, notably, for these three, within the 2nd Dragoon Division of Latour-Maubourg at the Battle of Talavera in 1809
I have also always wanted to have a dedicated General de Brigade for my dragoons, and although there is a good figure in the Italeri French Command set, he is standing beside his horse. So, out with the knife!

Here are some shots of the results. I have a few more photos on my blog if you are curious.
https://tinywarsplayedindoors.blogspot.com/2019/09/dragoons.html

Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Beano Boy on 16 Sep 2019, 15:24

i well remember being able to paint hundreds of these many years ago. i too twisted heads slightly, replaced cut off heads, and had many a quiet time of fun hot pinning them onto their mounts too.

i believe these are still some of the best plastic figures ever made and they still sell upon the open market place today. However they have been re-boxed several times now over the years. So anyone who does not want double copy`s it is best to check before you buy.

Here high above upon that scene presented very well, they look really Fantastic .
Well done Bill. :thumbup: BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Konrad on 16 Sep 2019, 15:30

Great work on great figs!
Well done!
Konrad  Germany
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Bluefalchion on 16 Sep 2019, 16:20

Love them! Especially the converted General. He looks familiar...

But wouldn't the dragoons have dismounted to fight? Here many have drawn swords as if to mount a cavalry charge...
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Wiking on 16 Sep 2019, 16:21

And once more from you a colorful unit.
Nice painted with a nice background.
:yeah:
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Bill Slavin on 16 Sep 2019, 17:00

Hi Aaron,

My understanding is that although dragoons did dismount and fight their primary role would be operating as mounted cavalry.
And yes, your recent dragoon general painting duel inspired me to cobble together this guy. At least on a horse it makes sense that the other hand might be holding the horse’s reins!
Bill Slavin  Canada

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Santi Pérez on 16 Sep 2019, 18:42

Fantastic work on these wonderful Italeri figures, Bill. :thumbup:

Congratulations. :-)

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by XbriX on 16 Sep 2019, 18:43

Not my period, but these are truly wonderful! :-)
XbriX  Poland

Posted by Harry Faversham on 16 Sep 2019, 19:27

Those Dragoons look splendid, thoroughly deserving of the distinguished looking General to command them.

:yeah:
Harry Faversham  England

Posted by Bluefalchion on 16 Sep 2019, 19:55

Bill Slavin wrote:Hi Aaron,

My understanding is that although dragoons did dismount and fight their primary role would be operating as mounted cavalry.
And yes, your recent dragoon general painting duel inspired me to cobble together this guy. At least on a horse it makes sense that the other hand might be holding the horse’s reins!

I am humbled that an artist as skilled as you are could be inspired, in any way, by my modest efforts. And the conversion you have achieved looks very natural. Good show.

Posted by Marvin on 16 Sep 2019, 21:54

Beano Boy is quite right - one of the best sets produced. And when a classic set gets classic treatment like this, it's a joy to behold. The general works perfectly in my opinion and can I just also say that your horses are looking top notch!
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by Bill Slavin on 16 Sep 2019, 22:45

Yes, Marvin! You can say that anytime! Thank you. I still remember reading your post on different horses’ nose flashes and I never looked at a cavalry figure the same after that.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by Rich W on 16 Sep 2019, 22:50

Well this all looks distinctively average............................................ :shock:
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Bluefalchion on 17 Sep 2019, 03:19

Rich W wrote:Well this all looks distinctively average............................................ :shock:

Nothing average about it, my man.

Also, the thing you need to know about Bill is that he cranks out large numbers of units, whole battallions, at an astonishing pace.

Posted by C M Dodson on 17 Sep 2019, 06:19

Excellent work as always Bill.

Lovely painting and I really do like your horses.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Susofrick on 17 Sep 2019, 10:04

A splendid display as usual! Have some boxes of these and a couple of Hat's dragoons. I think they sleep very well in their tea-boxes in the cellar. Really fond of your contributions!
Susofrick  Sweden

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bill Slavin on 17 Sep 2019, 13:22

Thanks all. I DO think my horses are getting better, Chris, and mostly from seeing what others do on this forum. And the Dragoons really are a nice set to paint. I still need three more regiments to mount Talvera, however!
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by Bluefalchion on 17 Sep 2019, 14:11

Bill Slavin wrote:Thanks all. I DO think my horses are getting better, Chris, and mostly from seeing what others do on this forum. And the Dragoons really are a nice set to paint. I still need three more regiments to mount Talvera, however!

It's cool that we can all improve together as painters. When I first started painting horses for duels, I looked at Marvin's and despaired. I am still no where near his level, but I have taken hope back up. And my brush.

Can't wait to see your next three regiments, Bill.

Posted by C M Dodson on 17 Sep 2019, 16:28

Hi Bill.

You mentioned Talvera.

I do not know if you know of Jonathan but he has a wonderful blog and has spent a lot of time doing this battle.

His knowledge of the Spanish campaign and his excellent battlefield tours are very useful indeed.

http://jjwargames.blogspot.com/search/label/Talavera

I hope this is of help.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Rich W on 17 Sep 2019, 22:31

Rich W wrote:Well this all looks distinctively average............................................ :shock:

Anyone who thinks I was being serious...I'm obviously joking...

Bill, those figures are superb as always. The detail on the horses in particular is ridiculous!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Next page

Return to Gallery