Gallery

The 18th King's Irish Hussars

Posted by Marvin on 21 Aug 2019, 15:59

Hello! More Napoleonic cavalry from me - this time an old classic: Italeri's Light Dragoons set painted as the 18th Light Dragoons (Hussars), in their Waterloo uniforms.

https://suburbanmilitarism.wordpress.com/2019/08/18/18th-kings-irish-light-dragoons-hussars-regt-35/

Cheers!

Marvin
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by Graeme on 21 Aug 2019, 17:47

I really like these. Your cavalry are always excellent but hussars are not just ordinary cavalry.

And I do like British hussars in busbies so I really enjoyed this post.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by C M Dodson on 21 Aug 2019, 17:52

You have brought these old classics to life!

Brilliant painting and a real ‘feel’ to them.

The pity is that Italieri chose not to give them reins for some reason which is a shame.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Bluefalchion on 21 Aug 2019, 17:55

I was just fiddling around with an unpainted version of this set yesterday. What a coincidence. You have done an excellent job with them, as always.

But, the large circular injection mould spots on the horses make me sad.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Konrad on 21 Aug 2019, 18:32

Again great work from you.
Love the horses.
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Marvin on 21 Aug 2019, 19:14

Thanks guys. Such lovely delicate sculpting make them a delight to paint. :-D

C M Dodson wrote:The pity is that Italieri chose not to give them reins for some reason which is a shame.

Yes, I thought that was odd too, Chris. To sculpt the horses so brilliantly and then just not bother with the reins! :eh:

Bluefalchion wrote:I was just fiddling around with an unpainted version of this set yesterday. What a coincidence. You have done an excellent job with them, as always.

But, the large circular injection mould spots on the horses make me sad.

Thanks, mate. Love to see your work on these too when they're done. A classic set for sure, and I've two more boxes I got really cheap lying around, so...

Ah, those circular marks... to me they are like seeing two coffee cup stains left on the Mona Lisa. Why, Italeri, why?!! :( Shaving them off makes them look scarred - well, when I do it. ;-)
Marvin  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bluefalchion on 21 Aug 2019, 21:49

Marvin wrote:To sculpt the horses so brilliantly and then just not bother with the reins! :eh:

Perhaps, as Hussars, these men are such master horsemen that they do not need reins!

Posted by Bluefalchion on 21 Aug 2019, 21:54

Marvin wrote:Thanks, mate. Love to see your work on these too when they're done. A classic set for sure, and I've two more boxes I got really cheap lying around, so...

Ah, those circular marks... to me they are like seeing two coffee cup stains left on the Mona Lisa. Why, Italeri, why?!! :( Shaving them off makes them look scarred - well, when I do it. ;-)

First, I never said I was going to paint them, just that I was fiddling around with them. But maybe now I will paint at least one of them, because:

Second, I wonder if it would work to build up the structure around the injection mould marks, thereby concealing tem, using modeling putty or greenstuff or pva glue. I might have a go...

Posted by Bill Slavin on 22 Aug 2019, 01:56

No reins??! Wait a minute - how come I never noticed that when I painted mine?
Lovely work, as always, and an inspiration.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Graeme on 22 Aug 2019, 03:30

Those horrible circular extractor pin marks have to be a candidate for the most annoying thing found in plastic figures; and I've never heard of any magic trick technique for fixing them. At least Italeri didn't put them in the middle of the braiding on the dolman like Airfix did with one of their RHA figures, that was totally incomprehensible.

Bluefalchion wrote:Perhaps, as Hussars, these men are such master horsemen that they do not need reins!

Cavalry are trained to ride with their arms crossed, controlling the horse just with their knees, an exercise in balance and control. But just because you can do something it doesn't mean that you should.

It occurs to me that most Italeri cavalry figures don't have a hand anywhere near the reins anyway but that's not an excuse for leaving the reins off. If there's no reins, What's the point of the bridle?
Graeme  Australia

Posted by MABO on 22 Aug 2019, 07:43

Despite all complains on this old ESCI (!) set you made the figures look brilliant again, Marvin...
MABO  Europe

Posted by Susofrick on 22 Aug 2019, 11:11

They look great! Bought these and their Criminal .... NO! Crimean!!! brothers back in the day in ESCI-boxes. A bit disapointed that Italeri didn't make new ones, but it was probably a lot cheaper this way.
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Marvin on 22 Aug 2019, 21:03

Bluefalchion wrote:First, I never said I was going to paint them, just that I was fiddling around with them. But maybe now I will paint at least one of them, because:

Second, I wonder if it would work to build up the structure around the injection mould marks, thereby concealing tem, using modeling putty or greenstuff or pva glue. I might have a go...

Excellent idea - go for it! More painting - less fiddling! :mrgreen:
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by Bluefalchion on 22 Aug 2019, 21:08

Graeme wrote:Those horrible circular extractor pin marks have to be a candidate for the most annoying thing found in plastic figures; and I've never heard of any magic trick technique for fixing them. Cavalry are trained to ride with their arms crossed, controlling the horse just with their knees, an exercise in balance and control. But just because you can do something it doesn't mean that you should.

It occurs to me that most Italeri cavalry figures don't have a hand anywhere near the reins anyway but that's not an excuse for leaving the reins off. If there's no reins, What's the point of the bridle?

I was joking about no reins, but reading your post has me thinking about a potential solution to this problem...

Posted by Beano Boy on 22 Aug 2019, 22:13

First of all we older ones can remember when it was either AIRFIX figures or these figures we see brilliantly painted today. :thumbup:

In those days there were no other choices around, you had to make do and mend.
I filled up the holes with glue,but they still showed their round mark. I hot ironed the horses to their loose platforms,and i also tied cotton horse reigns and painted them along with everything else.

There was no internet, and no sharing of my hobby style work. i only painted for my own sweet self during the quiet times of solitude. For years on end i painted the figures and placed them back into their boxes. This compulsive behavior paid off however when i went on the internet and eventually ended up here in my second home.

:mrgreen: Yes BB, pulled up a cosy chair and put his feet up near the mythical fire,
and began to open up a few boxes.
:sst: the dust from those boxes was something fearsome indeed to suffer.
:cowboy: I thought i were in Kansas! i had ta fasten one of me old socks over my nose and mouth.
;-) Yuck!

So what did my highly prized Hussars back in the day look like?
Blooming awful! :shock:! :shock:! :shock:!

To Conclude,
i kinda like to see the old sets painted up with reins or not.
So thank you Marvin, :thumbup: for sharing your superb painting and basing.
:coffee: Keep it up, and i will follow along with my dreamy eyed wishful thinking . BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Michael Robert on 22 Aug 2019, 22:43

Wow Marvin
I join in the choir: these classics are marvellously painted! The more so, as nearly everybody as I can see has his own version painted. Hey wait, Bluefalchion, now we encourage you to paint yours :-)
For better horses, there is the Emhar set of Crimean Lights where you have to wiggle and fiddle the reins. The other extreme. Otherwise a most interesting set with great conversion potential due to bendability of limbs
Back to Marvin: Hats off for continuing delivery of beauties
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Santi Pérez on 24 Aug 2019, 23:09

Another masterpiece addition to your Napoleonic Cavalry Regiments collection, which never stops growing, Marvin. :notworthy:

I'm a fan of them. My very best congratulations. ;-)

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Rich W on 26 Aug 2019, 10:44

As always Marvin, superb job with the cavalry!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Kekso on 30 Sep 2019, 21:33

I'm catching up some older unread posts. This is awesome. It makes me to take a break from taking a break form historical figures.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator

Return to Gallery