Gallery

Stonehenge

Posted by stephane42 on 24 Jul 2019, 07:10

Hi every body!
I'm a new on this forum and would like to show you a diorama i have done two years ago:
Stopnhenge !

The trilithons or triliths are five groups of three monoliths of sarsen sandstone raised and arranged as porticoes in a horseshoe-shaped plan leaving to the northeast an opening 13.70 meters wide. The trilithins are arranged symmetrically: the two smaller pairs of trilithes reached six meters in height, the next six .50 meters, while the large single trilithe on the south-west side was to reach 7.3 meters in height, lintel including the pillar of the main trilithone, 6.70 meters high, was straightened in 1901

The large sarsen sandstone circle consists of thirty monoliths erected in a cromlech thirty-three meters in diameter and surmounted by thirty lintels. The average thickness of these stones is 1.10 meters and the average distance between them is about one meter. The orthostats are nearly 4.10 meters high, 2.10 meters wide and weigh about twenty-five tons. The lintels of stone, meanwhile, each measure about 3.20 meters long, one meter wide, with a thickness of 0.80 meters: they weigh about seven tons. The tops of the lintels are suspended, for those who are still, at 4.90 meters above the ground.

I made sure that each stone was identical to the real stone:

for the blue color: The Celts extracted this coloring substance, also used for dyeing clothes, from a native plant, the woad or Isatis tinctoria. Not only did their appearance become quite spectacular and frightening, but the woad also has remarkable antiseptic and healing properties that made it a bit like our mercurochrome.

enjoy ! I let you apreciate the photos
Stéphane
stephane42  France

Posted by C M Dodson on 24 Jul 2019, 10:17

Totally different and very nice.

Great weathering on the stones and super photography to show it off.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Kekso on 24 Jul 2019, 12:16

This is so cool. I wish you could make more photos from outside.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by stephane42 on 24 Jul 2019, 12:56

here are some more photos...

stephane42  France

Posted by Ben90 on 24 Jul 2019, 15:10

Very nice work!!! What happens there?
Ben90  Germany
Golden Brush Winner

Posted by Bill Slavin on 24 Jul 2019, 16:18

Beautifully done and nice attention to detail. It is interesting to have the Celts using it, clearly many millennia after it was built. I’m sure it was employed over the centuries by each subsequent peoples that inhabited the area.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Graeme on 24 Jul 2019, 18:17

Lovely model of Stonehenge and I'm sure I recognise that 4 wheeled chariot from the archaeological record. Lovely group of animated figures too, I like the trophy heads and the woad tub. Terrific scene!

This is the old school interpretation of Stonehenge but that's OK. The story Archaeology tells us is very interesting, but the old beliefs from the age of Romantisism are kind of cool. Even if they're not accurate, they're our mythology and fun to delve into.

As to what's happening; when I see a woman lying naked on a rock and a man and woman playing chase around a stone circle I think 'Fertility Rite'. You might have a different interpretation.

Bill Slavin wrote:I’m sure it was employed over the centuries by each subsequent peoples that inhabited the area.

I tend to agree Bill; I can't believe the Celtic Britons at least the local ones just ignored this thing. The Druids espescially must have had an interest, you'd think an astrological calander would be right down their ridgewalk. And abscence of evidence is not evidence of abscence. People must have had some kind of relationship with it even if it was just "Stay away, it's Taboo".
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Santi Pérez on 24 Jul 2019, 23:20

Hello, Stéphane.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing this superb work. Fantastic reconstruction of the Stonehenge complex in its best days of glory. I can recognize most of the figures used in the sacrificial ceremony, despite the conversions some of them have suffered. :yeah:

Great composition, great research, great paintwork and great...everything. :love:

My very best congratulations.

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Wiking on 25 Jul 2019, 04:28

A very nice idea.

There is something going on.
And outside is action with the cart.

:yeah:
Wiking  Germany

Posted by MABO on 27 Jul 2019, 08:16

Allways nice to see new members with interesting topics.
You did a lot of work on this. Please share other models as well.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by stephane42 on 27 Jul 2019, 11:38

It's hard to know what kind of stonhenge ceremony could be used over time.
Archaeological research has uncovered human skeletons under certain stones, including a man with three arrows in his body. That's why I put this scene in the diorama.
One can imagine a ceremony of fertility. What is interresting is to see Stonehenge as it was with all standing stones and scale.
Thank you for your feedback. It is always rewarding and encouraging to hear from people who share the same passion.
stephane42  France

Posted by Marvin on 28 Jul 2019, 11:50

Wonderful work. A great re-imagining of what the place my have looked like and what these stones may have seen many years ago.
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by Bluefalchion on 29 Jul 2019, 02:33

Fantastic way to burst onto the scene here at Bennos. I hope you stay awhile. Some of us love deep dives into historical minutia, and others just like to paint and model in ways that seem cool to them. And I believe there is room here for both perspectives.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by stephane42 on 11 Aug 2019, 08:20

An American researcher has proposed a very original hypothesis to explain the arrangement of the giant megaliths of Stonehenge in the south of England. The acoustician Steven Waller believes that the prehistoric monument was built to reproduce the effect of sound illusions that are heard in the presence of two instruments playing the same musical note.

The precise role and significance of the famous stone circle erected 4500 years ago is still the subject of much debate, with interpretations ranging from a Druidic place of worship to a purely astronomical use. This new hypothesis will surely not everyone agree.

The Stonehenge megalithic site, located in the south of England and whose origins are mysterious, would be born of a sonic illusion, according to a new theory advanced Thursday by an independent American researcher at a scientific forum in Canada.

For Steve Waller, architecture and art are not only inspired by what we see, but by what we hear. He was intrigued by interactions between two sounds of the same wavelength that can cancel each other depending on where you are. And this phenomenon of dead sound zone, well known in acoustics, can easily deceive the brain.

People with this illusion believe that there is an invisible construction that suddenly prevents the sound from spreading, said the researcher to the first day of the annual conference of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) which brings together 8,000 researchers in Vancouver from Thursday until Monday.

Invisible objects
"While visiting Stonehenge, I was struck by the way sounds spread between these monolithic blocks of stone whose layout seems to create this illusion of sound," he said.

To demonstrate this theory, he asked volunteers to take part in an experiment: they were blindfolded and placed in a circle around two speakers emitting certain sounds.
The participants then turned around and took off their headband. Steve Waller then asked them to draw what they thought was between the source of the sounds and themselves. Some drew a circle of pillars, others solid objects like rocks, others openings or arches, which he thinks is very similar to Stonehenge.

- "I think this same illusion occurred 5,000 years ago, as can be demonstrated today," said the scientist. Thus, if people at that time were dancing in a circle around two people playing the flute, they had the same experience, moving from one area where the sound was loud to another where it disappeared, letting them think that Invisible objects were in the circle, he continues.

Spirit response
- "Such an experience was terribly disturbing and in the past all that was mysterious was considered magical or supernatural". "And I think that motivated the builders of Stonehenge to reproduce the structure recreating the same illusion ... as a vision they had from another world," said the researcher.
stephane42  France

Posted by Peter on 11 Aug 2019, 20:38

First of all welcome to the forum! :thumbup:

Finally we know who made Stonehenge! Thank you for stepping forward Stephane and clearing this out! Must say you did a fantastic job on this one, and it will stand for ages! ;-) :joker: :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Return to Gallery