Gallery

Belgium 1940 - Assault on the Albert-channel.

Posted by GumSmith on 22 Jul 2019, 18:00

This small scene takes place in the afternoon of 10.05.1940, the day the fall of "Yellow" began, the attack on France and the neutral countries Belgium and Netherlands.

An important obstacle in Belgium was the Albert Canal and the fortress belts around Liège. The most important defensive point was the Belgian Fort Eben-Emael, which was located near the village of the same name directly on the Albert Canal and secured several bridges over it.

On the morning of May 10th, paratroopers and pioneers took off in Germany with cargo gliders and Ju 52 transport planes to take the fort out and the bridges at Canne, Veldwezelt and Vroenhoven. Although the Belgian defenders succeeded in blowing up the bridge of Canne, the German airborne troops had mostly switched off the Fort Eben Emael by noon, captured 2 bridges intact and secured bridgeheads at all 3 bridgeheads and held them until the ground troops arrived.

My scene shows a few paratroopers at one of the bridgeheads at the Albert Canal after the replacement by infantry. One has leisure to search for memorabilia in the ruins of a metal workshop and a abandoned Belgian tank T 15, while one of the fighters instructs the leader of an armoured reconnaissance group.

I hope, you enjoy the pics.

cheers Oke
GumSmith  Germany

Posted by Bluefalchion on 22 Jul 2019, 18:08

Fantastic overall presentation! Also it was very fun to follow this WIP.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by C M Dodson on 22 Jul 2019, 18:35

Very nice indeed.

Super attention to detail and I love the ‘fag breaks’, you have really captured the ‘ feel’ of the time in my opinion.

Well done.

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Wiking on 22 Jul 2019, 19:21

Fantastic work. Great craftsmanship.

Early WW II theme are not so common.
And para units so much more.

A lot happen on these unregular curved base. :yeah:
With people in live like pose and action.
So much details from the metal storage, the paper sheet in the top floor and the dusty boots of the paratroopers. Just to name a few.

And not too much figures. So each one can "breathing".

The funny thing in such Dio is, for me, that the most work is not direct for military people or vehicle.
It is the surrounding area. And that is so important to bring live the story for the vehicles and people.
The house ruin alone is so much work with all windows the floors and the furniture and, and, and ...

There is clearly a lot of work, historical research, time, ideas and love to details in it.

Congratulation !
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Konrad on 22 Jul 2019, 19:24

Great!
I was sure that Wiking love this. :-D
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Santi Pérez on 22 Jul 2019, 23:10

A masterpiece, GumSmith! :notworthy:

Fantastic general composition, amazing paintwork and superb attention to detail. I love specially the house interior with all its furniture and the big deal of small accesories everywhere. :shock:

My very best congratulations. :thumbup:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by kursktiger.cn on 23 Jul 2019, 07:04

nice work,
Characters pose naturally and the scenes are ingeniously conceived.The historical background description of the scene is also interesting.
kursktiger.cn  China

Posted by Bill Slavin on 23 Jul 2019, 14:05

I just wanted to add my enthusiastic praise for this work. It is really nicely done, a beautiful portrayal of a pause in the dirty work of war. The figures are very lifelike - I love the cock of the soldier's head, looking at the map.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Return to Gallery