Gallery

Turkoman bandits from Orion Basmachi box

Posted by AgaPablo on 25 May 2019, 20:22

Hello all!

Here are some pics of a Turkoman marauding party from Orion Basmachi box.
Orion provides the usual 12 mounted figures all under the same label of Basmachis ("bandits" of course they didn't label themselves that way, but used the name Görbashi - gendarmes) but including 5 turkomen riders, 5 with Uzbek headgear and 2 with Tajik berets. They will make and odd collection if joined together, because although all of them rebelled against the Russians (in 1916) and against the Soviets (from 1918) they did it in places very far from each other.
That's why I choose to begin with the Turkomen raiding party which I introduce you now.
hope you enjoy them.

AgaPablo  Spain

Posted by lobo on 02 Jun 2019, 19:58

Hello Pablo,
Very interesting and unusual object; and very well explication about the origins of each figure. I think you paint with precision, but you can try a wash, especially in the faces, with a little more effort the figure will win a lot. And a base; a simple base made of glue, and a coat of sand painted and with a soft drybrush (pincel seco), highlights the figure a lot. Moreover, if they are for cavalry, they are big enough for adding little bushes…
And if they are bandits or irregulars, you can add a lot of variety of colors on their clothes, and the same with the horses; feel free…I look forward to see next figures..
Un abrazo desde Madrid¡
Antonio Lobo.
lobo  Spain

Posted by Susofrick on 03 Jun 2019, 11:53

Very nice to see these! Agree about the wash, made marvels for me. And it is great to see some painted Orion figures, it's not that often.
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by AgaPablo on 03 Jun 2019, 17:56

Thank you for your tips and kind comments.
I'm back in the learning curve again, and there are lots of new techniques to be mastered, specially as painting 20mm figures requires a different approach than for 54mm.
So, due notice received, let me ask for a bit of patience until production reaches requested standards... ;-)

Pablo
AgaPablo  Spain

Posted by sobrevieviendo1 on 05 Jun 2019, 11:10

AgaPablo wrote:They will make and odd collection if joined together, because although all of them rebelled against the Russians (in 1916) and against the Soviets (from 1918) they did it in places very far from each other.
That's why I choose to begin with the Turkomen raiding party which I introduce you now.
hope you enjoy them.

i dont know if im right but i assume that the figures were based on a charachters of the soviet film 'white sun of the desert' more than on actual historical research. https://www.crossingeurope.at/en/archiv ... styni.html
sobrevieviendo1  Poland

Posted by AgaPablo on 05 Jun 2019, 17:48

It's been a long time since I saw that movie, but I recognized the film's main evil character in the box art at first sight. Of course, the plastic characterization, is enclosed in the box as well.
For the rest of the figures I wont say so. In fact, when I conducted my research I found some shot screens from the movie which I used to choose colors for saddles and other auxiliary items.

The movie, in fact may not be completely accurate sorting so many different folk costumes, because when you search more thoroughly, local characters appear to be much more homogeneous:

For example, Turkmen tribesmen:

And Uzbek tribesmen:

Regards!
AgaPablo  Spain

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Return to Gallery