Gallery

More Strelets Crimean War Personalities

Posted by Marvin on 24 Mar 2019, 22:16

Hello! Following on from my recent Crimean War figures, I've some more Strelets figures, mostly Russians, to share with you. You can read a little more about each character on my blog:
https://suburbanmilitarism.wordpress.com/2019/03/20/russian-personalities-of-the-crimean-war-ii/

General-Adjutant Alexander Sergeyevich Menshikov
The initial commander of the Russian forces until he was dismissed from his post.

2nd-Lieutenant Lev Nikolayevich Tolstoy
Yes, that Leo Tolstoy, though looking older than he was at the time he commanded an artillery battery in Sevastopol.

Lieutenant-Colonel Eduard Ivanovich Totleben:
Celebrated engineer of baltic German descent who masterminded much of the defences of Sevastopol.

Some Cossacks and a balalaika!

A Soldier carrying a religious icon

And finally, a British, not Russian, character.

Major General James Brudenell, the 7th Earl of Cardigan, 11th (Prince Albert's Own) Hussars

The Earl of Cardigan was the commander of the Light Brigade at the Battle of Balaclava. He is here riding his horse "Ronald" at the head of the charge into the Russian guns. You can read a little about the remarkable Ronald leading the Light Brigade here -
https://suburbanmilitarism.wordpress.com/2019/03/24/ronald-and-the-earl-of-cardigan/

Cheers!

Marvin
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by Bluefalchion on 25 Mar 2019, 12:57

Your Crimean War personalities series continues to impress. After reading your blog entry, I see you researched both the Earl and his horse extensively. How curious that a foolish military debacle, the "Charge of the Light Brigade," could be so celebrated in story, song, parade and public appearances at the time. I suppose similar things are still happening to this day.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Marvin on 25 Mar 2019, 22:26

Bluefalchion wrote:Your Crimean War personalities series continues to impress. After reading your blog entry, I see you researched both the Earl and his horse extensively. How curious that a foolish military debacle, the "Charge of the Light Brigade," could be so celebrated in story, song, parade and public appearances at the time. I suppose similar things are still happening to this day.

Yes, particularly curious that Cardigan was celebrated as his performance at the charge is considered by some to be terrible. On reaching the Russian guns he lost touch with his men, turned around and rode back again to enjoy breakfast on his yacht in the harbour, leaving his men behind enemy lines and without their senior commander!
Marvin  United Kingdom

Return to Gallery