Gallery

Hanse Kogge - Revell

Posted by Paul on 23 Mar 2019, 17:47

A lot more pics including the build HERE
Paul  China

Posted by Wiking on 23 Mar 2019, 19:01

First of all congratulation for the stand to finish your biggest project. Hanse Kogge.
Look nice done and paint. The full blow of the sail. The wave of the flags.
I only miss the spray in the front of the ship.
The figure are nice colored.

Maybe I am wrong but what I do not like on the Hanse Kogge (not your fault) is the poor deck.
No small rowing boat, and for a freighter no goods.
Finally it look so empty. And it is each Hanse Kogge I have seen.
Wiking  Germany

Posted by sberry on 23 Mar 2019, 19:08

Great project, thanks for showing! The ship itself is really good, especially when this was your first attempt at it. But the figures are also nice, and the water effect adds a perfect realistic feeling.
sberry  Germany

Posted by Bluefalchion on 23 Mar 2019, 19:15

Very well achieved! Nice detail work. So how long did it take, start to finish (including pics, post, and blog entry)?

:thumbup:
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Ben90 on 23 Mar 2019, 19:53

Fantastic job, I love it!
Ben90  Germany
Golden Brush Winner

Posted by Paul on 23 Mar 2019, 20:52

Bluefalchion wrote: So how long did it take, start to finish (including pics, post, and blog entry)?
:

It was started 4 weeks ago but I lost a week due to injury recieved from a car crash, so about three weeks. I didn´t work on it everyday though.
Wiking wrote:Maybe I am wrong but what I do not like on the Hanse Kogge (not your fault) is the poor deck.
No small rowing boat, and for a freighter no goods.
Finally it look so empty. And it is each Hanse Kogge I have seen.

I´ve just started the Zvezda version which comes with a rowing boat but I won´t add it as it looks more like an 18th century one.
I think the The main reason for the Zvezda/Revell Cogs have a lot of deck space and therefore look empty is they don´t seem to be 1/72nd scale more like 1/56th. I´ve put a Perry medieval bod on the deck of the one I´m making now and it looks not too bad.

And i did think of adding spray but that would mean the sea would be a bit more choppy and TBH, I didn´t want to go too far out of my experience (which is virtually None) of making water effects. ;-)
Paul  China

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Wiking on 24 Mar 2019, 06:52

Paul wrote:
I think the The main reason for the Zvezda/Revell Cogs have a lot of deck space and therefore look empty is they don´t seem to be 1/72nd scale more like 1/56th.

I think exactly the same.
Maybe it is a marketing strategy to sell more in the popular 1/72 market.
Airfix did a similar thing with labeling her 1/76 stuff to 1/72 a few years ago.

But finally all in all a nice Dio WITH livelike weaves.
Wiking  Germany

Posted by MABO on 24 Mar 2019, 10:23

Hello Paul,
interesting WIP. I share your interest in ships, but I always has the respect you had before the start. The result is very nice. I also had the impression that there could be some more small parts on the deck, so I am interested in the Zvezda version with the boat.

21 years ago I thought about starting again with building plastic models. So I had bought the HMS Victory from Revell. I started and painted which wass really hard for me, since my last model, the Revel HMS Bounty, was finished another 15 years earlier. And during the slow progress, that did not convince me the pearl of the Royal Fleet looks really as it should do, I went to the loacal - really big - toy store and saw the ESCCI Scots Grey painted in a showcase. Thinking about the figures I have played with and being really hooked, I have bought the box with the red riders. Maybe figures are interesting??

The Victory stood on the windowsill for 9 years and when we moved into another appartement I bring it to the trash can. Maybe I will try someday another one.

Sorry for boarding your topic :mrgreen:
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Graeme on 24 Mar 2019, 12:53

Now your Medievel armies can go on Crusade.

Very nice job, the ship looks great and the water effects on the base are very realistic. And, of course, the crew figures are excellent as usual, I really like the monk sitting in the sterncastle, he looks a little subdued, perhaps he's feeling a bit queasy?

A few thoughts on the large empty deck area:

1. It's good for the gamers who want to fill a ship with figures.

2. I don't know about the scale of the model but I think these ships did have large upper decks simply because the decks were covering a huge cargo hold below, the ships were basically designed as giant floating grocery boxes.
As for the upper decks being bare I think that's right too. In reality ships don't have a lot of stuff lying on the upper decks, it's just too dangerous. If you saw the cruise ship on the news tonight you'll appreciate the threat of shifting objects. The other issue is that the upper decks are working, and sometimes fighting, surfaces that need to be free of all unnecessary obstacles; If a farmhand trips over a bag of wheat he skins his knee, If a sailor trips over a bag of wheat he drowns.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Kekso on 24 Mar 2019, 13:14

Great build Paul :thumbup:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Wiking on 24 Mar 2019, 19:47

Graeme wrote:
Now your Medievel armies can go on Crusade.

Amber in exchange for kangaroo ?
Wiking  Germany

Posted by sansovino on 26 Mar 2019, 21:13

Thanks for your informative blog, Paul! Your ship looks great... eventually you should add more figures and freight on the deck...
sansovino  Germany

Posted by huib on 28 Mar 2019, 21:45

Beautiful work, Paul!
huib  Netherlands

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Mar 2019, 00:53

:thumbup: A big thumbs up from me.
I liked all the comments too. :coffee: BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Marvin on 31 Mar 2019, 20:36

I don't know much about ships, looks very impressive to me, from keel to crow's nest. :yeah:
Marvin  United Kingdom

Return to Gallery