Gallery

British Personalities of the Crimean War

Posted by Marvin on 16 Mar 2019, 22:35

Following on from my Russian character figures from the Crimean War - http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22451, I present a handful more British figures which come from Strelets "Heavy Brigade" big box set of figures.

If you are interested, my blog post contains a more complete biography of each personality and also compares them with Roger Fenton's original photographs of each.

https://suburbanmilitarism.wordpress.com/2019/03/10/british-personalities-of-the-crimean-war/

Roger Fenton - A pioneering photographer who captured many astonishing images of the Crimean conflict in 1855.

General Simpson - British commander Lord Raglan's Chief of Staff until Raglan's death at which point Simpson took over command. After the fall of Sevastopol, Simpson resigned.

Lt-General Sir George Brown - A Scottish Peninsular War veteran who was invalided home after being wounded at the battle of Inkerman leading French Zouaves!

Major-General Colin Campbell - Another Scottish veteran of the Peninsular War. He found fame for commanding the 'thin red line' of Highlanders at Balaklava.

Brigadier-General Sir George Buller - A controversial officer who fought at the Alma and was also invalided home after being wounded at Inkerman.

Lieutenant-Colonel Prince Edward of Saxe-Weimar - German born aristocrat who fought in all the British army's major battles in the war, commanding the Grenadier Guards. He would rise to the rank of Field Marshal later in life.

Captain Charles Halford - An officer of the 5th Dragoon Guards, his claim to fame appears to be being photographed by Roger Fenton on a number of occasions.

Bye for now!

Marvin
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by Santi Pérez on 16 Mar 2019, 23:35

Great paintwork on these Strelets figures, Marvin. :yeah:

Congratulations.

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Bluefalchion on 17 Mar 2019, 06:11

Thanks for posting these! Excellent paint jobs to recreate the images from the famous early photographs.

One of my favorites is the photographer, Fenton, with his striped trousers. Rarely have I ever seen pants so dressy!

I also liked the general with the white hair. As for the mystery of why Fenton took so many pictures of the little-known dragoon captain, maybe they became enamored of one another during Fenton's long visit and became personal friends?
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Konrad on 17 Mar 2019, 09:29

As always very nice work of you.
And a very accurate search of historical persons.
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Wiking on 17 Mar 2019, 09:43

Very nice painted individuals as always.
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Marvin on 17 Mar 2019, 11:25

Thank you fellows! I'm really enjoying painting these little characters.

Bluefalchion wrote:Thanks for posting these! Excellent paint jobs to recreate the images from the famous early photographs.

One of my favorites is the photographer, Fenton, with his striped trousers. Rarely have I ever seen pants so dressy!

I also liked the general with the white hair. As for the mystery of why Fenton took so many pictures of the little-known dragoon captain, maybe they became enamored of one another during Fenton's long visit and became personal friends?

Well, Bluefalchion - this is a photograph of Mr Fenton wearing the very dapper striped attire that inspired my own! :mrgreen:

and here is the general with the white hair photographed by Fenton in comparison with the Strelets figure;

and General Simpson with Fenton's photograph;

Marvin  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Graeme on 17 Mar 2019, 11:58

Wonderful painting once again marvin, I'm impressed at how you have preserved the very good facial details of these figures after painting. I love the photographer figure.

Prince Edward's teacup looks like it was half inched from the railways.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Bluefalchion on 17 Mar 2019, 13:38

For those who have not seen it yet, Marvin's blog entry on this topic is well worth the visit.

Posted by Susofrick on 18 Mar 2019, 14:28

Have the set and this is great inspiration to start painting it! Ooops! That will probably be in 2135!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by Marvin on 18 Mar 2019, 20:52

Graeme wrote:Wonderful painting once again marvin, I'm impressed at how you have preserved the very good facial details of these figures after painting. I love the photographer figure.

Prince Edward's teacup looks like it was half inched from the railways.

Thanks Graeme! Railway crockery it could be but I reckon that tea cup looks more like a mug :eh:

Susofrick wrote:Have the set and this is great inspiration to start painting it! Ooops! That will probably be in 2135!

We want it sooner! :mad: 2089? :xd:
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by C M Dodson on 18 Mar 2019, 21:04

Very nice indeed.

Great to see who is who and a little information on what they did.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by FredG on 18 Mar 2019, 21:05

The horses must be just out of shot 8)
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Marvin on 18 Mar 2019, 21:55

FredG wrote:The horses must be just out of shot 8)

Oh, don't worry, there are LOTS of mounted figures in this set too... ;-)
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 19 Mar 2019, 13:21

Those figures are some I have but not painted.
However , Wonderful painting style on yours. :thumbup: Bravo! BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Kekso on 19 Mar 2019, 18:44

One of your worst works so far :xd: :xd: :xd:
Still, 100 times better than mine ;-)
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Marvin on 31 Mar 2019, 21:01

An update - I've been painting some more British Crimean War officers from Strelets...

https://suburbanmilitarism.wordpress.com/2019/03/30/british-personalities-of-the-crimean-war-ii/?c=1504#comment-1504

Field Marshal FitzRoy James Henry Somerset, 1st Baron Raglan

Lieutenant General Sir Charles Ash Windham

Lieutenant General Sir Henry John William Bentinck

Major General James Bucknall Estcourt

Major General Sir Henry William Barnard

This last figure is based on a pose in a photograph taken by Roger Fenton during the war in 1855.

Marvin  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bluefalchion on 31 Mar 2019, 22:07

Are those cannonballs under the officer's foot in the final photograph?

Posted by Marvin on 31 Mar 2019, 22:18

Yes! :thumbup: There appears that there might be a feature projecting from the ball so could be shells?
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by Bluefalchion on 01 Apr 2019, 02:08

Talk about a hot-foot!

Posted by Graeme on 01 Apr 2019, 06:08

Marvin wrote:There appears that there might be a feature projecting from the ball so could be shells?

They've got a diameter of about a foot so I think they might be some kind of mortar shells.

Terrific painting on these figures Marvin, with perfect shading on the uniforms and real character in the faces. The Raglan figure is great, I really like the way you've done the dancing plumes on his bicorn. :yeah:

Credit to Strelets for not doing Raglan in the ubiquitous 'holding the telescope to his eye with one hand' pose; even though this is the one time it would have been appropriate. :mrgreen:
Graeme  Australia

Next page

Return to Gallery