Gallery

Mars Austrian Uhlans

Posted by Marvin on 28 Jan 2019, 22:00

Hello - I've painted another regiment for the Napoleonic Cavalry Project - the Austrian 1st Uhlan Regiment (Merveldt's Uhlans). I've had a go using some of Mars Uhlans (1805-1815). I know there are some mixed views about Mars the manufacturer but I felt there was something about this set possibly worth exploring (some of the figures had unusual poses, for example).

I say a bit more about them on the blog (and offer a regimental biography too).
https://suburbanmilitarism.wordpress.com/2019/01/27/uhlan-regiment-no-1-merveldt-nappy-cavalry-project-regiment-32/

They're not the easiest set to paint and there was a good deal of flash to remove. :sweatdrop: But anyway, here's what I've managed with them -

Cheers!

Marvin
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by Bluefalchion on 28 Jan 2019, 22:04

You have taken frankly horrible figures and turned them into masterpieces. Thanks for sharing these with us.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Marvin on 28 Jan 2019, 22:09

Bluefalchion wrote:You have taken frankly horrible figures and turned them into masterpieces. Thanks for sharing these with us.

Thank you! :-D I guess I like a challenge!
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by MABO on 28 Jan 2019, 22:25

Bluefalchion wrote:You have taken frankly horrible figures and turned them into masterpieces. Thanks for sharing these with us.

You are absolutely right! :yeah: Super, Marvin!
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Michael Robert on 28 Jan 2019, 23:04

Hi Marvin
Excellent painting, but yes, some of the poses are interesting and some less beautiful...
Why did you not use the Brunswickers as Austrian lancers? Ok, they have Hat standard poses but are convertible with spare arms. Your skills could do much better results on these.
Greetings
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by C M Dodson on 28 Jan 2019, 23:27

You have performed a miracle in bringing these guys to the standard shown.

Well done, super work in my opinion.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Jan 2019, 03:00

The biggest challenge I had with Mars figures was putting them back into their boxes.
Where they stay to this very day.
Brilliant painting style on your figures Marvin. You deserve a medal for above and beyond. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 29 Jan 2019, 04:27

Fantastic!! :yeah: :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Mr. Andrea on 29 Jan 2019, 10:32

I couldn't help but agreeing with what many said above: ugly figures turned into eye-candy. Though, I have to admit that the poses are somehow intriguing.
Mr. Andrea  Europe

Posted by Marvin on 29 Jan 2019, 10:43

Thanks fellas. :-D

Michael Robert wrote:Hi Marvin
Excellent painting, but yes, some of the poses are interesting and some less beautiful...
Why did you not use the Brunswickers as Austrian lancers? Ok, they have Hat standard poses but are convertible with spare arms. Your skills could do much better results on these.
Greetings
Michael

Thanks Michael - one reason I didn't use the HaT Brunswick cavalry set is that I don't have it and sadly I can't find any for sale any more? :( And I'd need three or four boxes to make a complete uhlan regiment as there are only 3 per box. That said, I was also attracted by the unusual poses of the Mars figures themselves.

Beano Boy wrote:The biggest challenge I had with Mars figures was putting them back into their boxes. Where they stay to this very day.
Brilliant painting style on your figures Marvin. You deserve a medal for above and beyond. BB

:lol: They almost scared me off too. But I persevered. ;-)
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by Konrad on 29 Jan 2019, 11:12

Great work.
Like usual.
Konrad  Germany
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by FredG on 29 Jan 2019, 11:56

The best about painting a set like this is that the following sets become so much easier :mrgreen:

A good show from the horse man :yeah:
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Bluefalchion on 29 Jan 2019, 14:04

Marvin wrote: One reason I didn't use the HaT Brunswick cavalry set is that I don't have it and sadly I can't find any for sale any more? :( And I'd need three or four boxes to make a complete uhlan regiment as there are only 3 per box. That said, I was also attracted by the unusual poses of the Mars figures themselves.

I wish I had four boxes of the set in question; if so, I would mail them to you, gratis, just to see what you could make of them. Someone in this forum probably does have a few lying around.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Marvin on 29 Jan 2019, 16:28

[/quote]I wish I had four boxes of the set in question; if so, I would mail them to you, gratis, just to see what you could make of them. Someone in this forum probably does have a few lying around.[/quote]

:-D
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by vellek on 29 Jan 2019, 20:41

C M Dodson wrote:You have performed a miracle in bringing these guys to the standard shown.

Well done, super work in my opinion.

Best wishes,

Chris

I can't say it any better than this.
vellek  United States of America
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Kekso on 13 Feb 2019, 18:49

Beano Boy wrote:The biggest challenge I had with Mars figures was putting them back into their boxes.

Sorry Marvin, your work is great, but this comment is one of the best I've ever read on this forum :xd:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Graeme on 14 Feb 2019, 18:39

These are gorgeous, you really have done something special with them. And I agree there are some very interesting poses here.

I like the wounded man, I think perhaps the man has been hit as well as the horse; I like the dismounted trooper trying to catch a passing horse; and I like the dynamic poses of the lancers. This set really could add some variety to a scene, but if you were trying to make a unit with it you'd probably wish for a few more normal poses.

I wasn't familiar with this set, I don't usually look at Mars Napoleonic sets because I thought their Napoleonic ones were all dodgy knock offs. My first thought was that this looks like an unusually good Mars set, but I'm sure that's mostly down to your painting. I had a look at the original figures on PSR and realised that I must have seen these before because I remember the bonus sprue of extra flash. :mrgreen: That is hilarious.

Once again, great job on these. You've made me believe this is a good set.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Marvin on 19 Feb 2019, 20:35

Graeme wrote:My first thought was that this looks like an unusually good Mars set, but I'm sure that's mostly down to your painting. I had a look at the original figures on PSR and realised that I must have seen these before because I remember the bonus sprue of extra flash. :mrgreen: That is hilarious.

Once again, great job on these. You've made me believe this is a good set.

Thanks Graeme! This is one of Mars' better sets in my opinion, as eccentric as it is. They've also produced Russian Uhlans for example, but that set somehow just doesn't quite have the same quality. I just felt there was something about this particular release that would be worth including with my Napoleonic cavalry collection.
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by Leonid Kireev on 19 Feb 2019, 21:18

Excellent painting figures from Mars!
A good example of how to make "candy" from Mars))
Leonid Kireev  Russia

Return to Gallery