Gallery

Ottoman Artillery

Posted by Paul on 20 Dec 2018, 16:08

FredG wrote:OK so you use the mallet to knock the quoin in and lower the trajectory. :-D :yeah: What do you do if you need to suddenly increase the trajectory? There's no handle or ring to pull it back :eh:

That´s what the handspikes were for, both to move the carriage and to lift the breech of the gun so that the elevating quoin or screw might be adjusted .
As far as I remember, some of the guns on the HMS Victory had (have) quoins without handles/rings.

Maybe some sort of correlation with gun size, the bigger the gun =Need to hammer the quoin so the quoin can´t have a handle/ring (?)

FredG wrote:Hang on! In that clip they knocked the quoin in and the trajectory went up :shock: Errrrrrm! :eh: :sst: :eek: :wink: ooooooops!

That is a bit odd eh?
Paul  China

Posted by Paul on 20 Dec 2018, 17:56

I´ve watched it again and there´s something different (or entirely incorrect) to the usual way a quoin would be used..ie; hammering it Forward, with the quoin under the breech, would lower the muzzle. In the film, the quoin is nowhere near the breech but under the support for the Serpentine style arms. I can´t imagine how, or if that would ever work to raise the barrel by bashing the quoin forwards..and if it was possible, it seems a bit long winded. ..

Still, we now know what the mallet is for :xd:
Paul  China

Posted by FredG on 20 Dec 2018, 20:49

Emperor wrote:I don-t know about hammer, but I do know that guns need to be cooled after some use, because it will explode if it reach critical temperature...

Barrel droop was a common problem during prolonged use. :eh:
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Marvin on 21 Dec 2018, 22:39

Paul wrote:Still, we now know what the mallet is for :xd:

Thanks for that video, I have learnt something today :-D (although the fine details need to be taken with a pinch of salt).

We can now all sleep soundly in our beds once again. :coffee:
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by Rich W on 27 Dec 2018, 23:22

All looks really good Marvin-top job!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Previous page

Return to Gallery