Gallery

SCW Catalan Battalion

Posted by despertaferro on 11 Dec 2018, 16:00

Hi. I'm in hurry so just some pictures...

Unit: Catalan Macià-Companys Column. Republican side, of course...
Figures: Metal Minairons and Under Fire, plàstic one's by BUM.
Vehicles: Pegasus

Later I'll upload some close ups.

T-26

BA-6

despertaferro  

Posted by Bluefalchion on 11 Dec 2018, 16:53

Wonderful stuff as always. And now a topic close to your heart. What an epic tragedy that forces moved Spaniards to hate their own countrymen enough to take up arms in anger.

And now in 2018 nearly the same thing is happening. despertaferro, have you ever seen the film Pan's Labyrinth? It is one of my favorite treatments of the SCW.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by despertaferro on 11 Dec 2018, 19:00

Hi again..

Here you have some close-ups of the infantry bases...

Many thanks for your kind words Bluefalchion! And yes, I have seen the Pan's Labyrinth... If you're interested on the subject, a very good movie about SCW is Ken Loach's "Land and Freedom". Loosely based on George Orwell's experience, explains in a very realistic way how things were going inside the Republican side, the bitter rivalry between Anarchists and Communists... and I did work on it as a cameraman! :-D

Command unit base

Platoon Commands bases

Infantry Squad bases

Maxims Machine Gun base

Stokes-Brandt 81 mm Mortar base

despertaferro  

Posted by Kekso on 11 Dec 2018, 21:25

Awesome close ups. Thanks.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by huib on 11 Dec 2018, 21:35

A nice and not very common theme. Lovely vehicles and beautifully painted figures. I like it very much!
huib  Netherlands

Posted by Bill Slavin on 13 Dec 2018, 02:18

Really nice painting. And I love those early war Russian armoured cars and tanks!
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by carlosfaro on 13 Dec 2018, 08:38

Indeed very unusual topic in the hobby, what however is an important -and hard-part of our recent History in Spain;
Very good job Despertaferro, as always! I am not quite sure why you included writings in the T26 ; soviet instructors and material were indeed sent by Stalin in support of Spanish republic an gvrnmt. , but don't think those men men crewed the combat units..
Answering to Bluefalchion when he compares actual times with those- well, these are actually difficult political and social times in Spain and mostly Catalonia; but I prefer to believe we are still quite far from those horrible situations from 80 years ago. Labyrinth of Pan by the way takes not place during SCw but shortly after, those soldiers are already troops of the winning Franco,s regime against last guerrilla resistors in the mountains, known as Maquis,who were active in some border-mountain territories for some years after SCW and WWII
I did not watch Land and Freedom,but I should.. as little familiar memory,George Orwell fought in some trenches near my hometown in Zaragoza; in the other side was my grandfather 16y old.. If something went different there,maybe I was not here or maybe "1984" was never written....
carlosfaro  

Posted by sansovino on 13 Dec 2018, 11:06

Wonderful painted figures!
I regret only that your photos were been spoiled with photobucket´s advertisements.
sansovino  Germany

Posted by despertaferro on 13 Dec 2018, 15:34

Hi, many thanks for your interest and your time...

Carlosfaro: As far I know, at list at their first combat actions when trying to release the fascist pressure over Madrid, the soviet tanks were commanded and crewed by Russians. Even at the time of the Teruel's battle, quite latter on the war, Ernest Hemingway wrote about the lack of fighting spirit of the soviet crews who were at the last weeks of their turns and tried to avoid being killed or wounded so close to their return home. But in fact, most probably, the Russian writings came from the factory and was made by the workers who build the tanks.
In accuracy terms, most of the Republican tanks wore not tactical signs. Some of them had some numerals portrayed on the turret's sides or rear. The reason why I put some signs on them is just to identify them as a Republicans and because some of the crews could have painted their vehicles that way. But it was not the norm and most of the period's pictures did'nt show any tactical sign at all.

sansovino: Nothing is free on internet... always you pay something: Money, personal information or advertising... :-D
despertaferro  

Posted by carlosfaro on 13 Dec 2018, 18:05

Thank you so much for that researched info! Did not know about that!! Sounds quite similar to the poor fighting reputation of the Italian CTV troops...
carlosfaro  

Posted by Bluefalchion on 13 Dec 2018, 22:53

This thread started with some well painted soldiers and has expanded nicely from there. Thanks to all for the informative and respectful responses.

Did I mention that I really love this forum?
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by santifernandez on 14 Dec 2018, 20:15

Joan I am very happy to see a new work of yours, good painting and better photos ... the theme personally is to my liking.
Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.
A hug.
Santi
santifernandez  Spain

Posted by KenzoSato on 16 Dec 2018, 21:11

Great work, excellent painting
KenzoSato  Italy

Posted by Peter on 16 Dec 2018, 22:01

Good to see friend Joan back in action! Again a wonderfull painted army! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Return to Gallery