Gallery

ICM SdKfz. 223

Posted by MABO on 28 Nov 2018, 22:01

To improve the building of my models waiting in the basement I have invested in some new tools. I have bought them at http://www.zinnfigur.com in Berlin. The side cutter is especially for plastic-sets, I think a lot of you know and I can really recommend. Working with it is a pleasure and really precise. I am wondering who I could live without before.

The plastic scraper is also fantastic and helpful when it comes to removing cast burrs. I chose the colours to get as close as possible to the original colours of the vehicles. So far I have painted with Vallejo colours. The AK colours are a collection recommended on the net for allied vehicles in Europe and North Africa.

But also for German vehicles I bought the suitable colors to perfect the representation of the colors in Africa. Let's have a look.

Of course I wanted to try the whole thing out directly and took the kit of a SdKfz.223 from ICM, which had been in my collection for a long time. Working with the new tool was very good, but I didn't like the ICM model very much. There are many small parts where you can only guess how they have to be attached, e.g. the hooks at the front and rear or the mufflers.

The decals are also crap. The decals almost fall apart when you use them. But look for yourself it is at least finished and also the new colours of AK or Vallejo RAL 7021 black grey and RAL 8000 green brown. I worked with brightened variations of the colors to create a kind of filter and then with the Desert Sand Washing and pigments from Vallejo the final accents set.

But, I can't really recommend the ICM model. Maybe some people don't see it that way. Then contradict gladly.

Last edited by Peter on 15 Aug 2020, 20:01, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed link
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Kekso on 29 Nov 2018, 11:12

It almost look like professional did it :xd:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by huib on 29 Nov 2018, 11:46

The 223 looks very nice. Although it may not have been an easy kit, if I read your description, you did a good job. Maybe next time also use the new scraper tool to remove the casting seam on the tyres.

Did you like to work with the MIG paints? I'm still working with enamels, but sometimes think to change for acrylics.
huib  Netherlands

Posted by Bill Slavin on 29 Nov 2018, 15:03

I think it looks great. Any German vehicle with that bar superstructure on it I always found tricky.
Now if there was just a plastic scraper that worked on soft plastic!!
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by MABO on 29 Nov 2018, 16:28

Thank you all for your nice words

huib wrote:Maybe next time also use the new scraper tool to remove the casting seam on the tyres.

Absolutely right and I asked myself, while taking the pictures: Why I have ignored the lines on the tyres? :oops: :oops: :oops:

For me any acrylics are better than enamel, because you can use just water to work with. Working was ok for me. With the same order I also got two cans of the new "Real Colors" from AK. They are for Airbrush, which I did not have, but I would give them a try with the brush as well. They made a real science out of their new series of colours in my eyes...
MABO  Europe

Posted by Wiking on 29 Nov 2018, 16:31

MABO wrote:
But, I can't really recommend the ICM model. Maybe some people don't see it that way.

Yes like me. I am sorry. :oops:
With your ICM kit you get the best on the market in my opinion. The one from Dragon
and FTF are nice but ICM give us useful etched parts.

I like your build and paint, weathering.
Fine :yeah:
Wiking  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by MABO on 29 Nov 2018, 16:49

Thank you Wiking! Have you build other ICM Models?
MABO  Europe

Posted by Marvin on 29 Nov 2018, 18:44

Looks pretty darn good in my uneducated opinion! :thumbup:
Marvin  United Kingdom

Posted by MABO on 29 Nov 2018, 20:11

Thanks Marvin!
MABO  Europe

Posted by Wiking on 30 Nov 2018, 12:34

Yes, your version but in grey, the radio version and the 2cm type.
I like the ICM kit most. For example, the triangle at the wheels. They are seperate.
Wiking  Germany

Return to Gallery