Gallery

WW2 British 37mm portees

Posted by Fire at Will on 13 Nov 2018, 14:37

After a lot of effort, I've completed the pair of Morris portees with 37mm Bofors anti tank guns. They are marked up for the 106th RHA during the period of Compass/Beda Fomm 1940

The basic vehicles are Morris trucks from Frontline Miniatures that were surplus as I added newer models to my 8th Army. it involved some careful sawing of the rear body to reduce it to a flat bed. The Bofors is the First to Fight model carefully assembled to fit in the available space.

A shelf was added at the rear of the flat bed and various stowage added. Crew was a significant problem and the only "gunners" I could find to fit were HaT British tank riders.
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by Bill Slavin on 13 Nov 2018, 15:05

These are fantastic. I love the portees and there are no models of them out there that I am aware of (perhaps something in metal?) You have done a really good job with these.

Years ago my friend Steve Guthrie scratch built me three portees with 2 pdrs. Here they are...

His crew was a motley collection of various figures he had kicking around, modelling the relaxed uniform standards of Montgomery's 8th Army.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Fire at Will on 13 Nov 2018, 22:14

Rather similar to my earlier attempt on the 2pdr version. The 2pdrs are all Zvezda and the portees converted Airfix Austin Fire Tenders.

The main points of assembly are seen in the progress picture. The white or dark grey parts are from the original Airfix kit, the mid grey from an Airfix QLT and the brown from the Zvezda. Note it was easier to cut and fit the undeployed sub-frame for the gun.

or even earlier using the Chevrolet chassis
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by Bill Slavin on 14 Nov 2018, 15:21

Those are really good as well. The Zvezda 2 pdr. and crew is a very nice set and works well there. Nice conversions!
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by huib on 14 Nov 2018, 17:25

Lovely kitbashing and conversion!
huib  Netherlands

Return to Gallery