Gallery

Etruscans Class IV infantry

Posted by ToneTW on 11 Nov 2018, 22:58

A few painted examples of Newline Designs resculpted Etruscan class IV infantry. I just painted a couple as they came, I intend to use the rest as Roman Leves as shown in Duncan Head's Armies of the Macedonian and Punic Wars, unarmoured and without shields. Very useful figures and could make their way into a lot of different armies of the era:

http://showparade.blogspot.com/2018/11/etruscan-class-iv-infantry.html
ToneTW  United Kingdom

Posted by Kekso on 14 Nov 2018, 19:37

Cool painting. Simple but effective.
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by PhilC on 19 Nov 2018, 17:56

Nice figures, ToneTW, I like your painting style.
Just a question about the shield: did they have the same pattern, or not ? What do you think about it ? Is it a question of behaviour (individual combat vs unit coordination) ?
PhilC  Europe

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Peter on 20 Nov 2018, 21:11

Nice work again Tone! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by bilsonius on 22 Nov 2018, 07:17

Very nicely painted, Tone, and very useful-looking figs)
How does the size compare with regular 1/72?
(A bit perplexing when Newline have both 20mm and 1/72 ranges... :eh: )
bilsonius  United Kingdom

Posted by MABO on 22 Nov 2018, 08:02

Me either, but they are really comparable and mix quite well.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by ToneTW on 23 Nov 2018, 01:31

Hi sorry for not getting back sooner!

Phil, with the shields these guys came with these large types that I have seen in some plates a while ago I am not too sure how the Etruscans fought I vaguly remember that these guys may have fought close order like very poor hoplites? The others that are on my desk I have given a few spears and all javlins as Roman Leves that seemed to be very poorly equipped skirmishers before the advent of the Velites.

Bilsonius, yes Newline seems quite variable. Their early lines for example Republican Roman legionaries and Napoleonic Austrian German infantry are slightly smaller than 1/72 plastics. Then some of their later lines Greek Thureophoroi and Napoleonic Austrian Hungarian are a good match to 1/72 but a bit bulkier in build. Whilst these newest sculpts seem to be the same height as the later sculpts but slighter builds.

I have a few Newline 1/72 Late Romans there doesn't seem much difference between their later sculpts. I have in the past done some comparisons, a couple here: http://paradegroundworkshop.blogspot.com/search/label/Comparisons and their was one of Napoleonic Austrians posted somewhere. I hope this helps rather than hinders!

EDIT: Austrian comparison if the pics still work: http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5217&p=66006

Thank you everyone for the kind comments!
ToneTW  United Kingdom

Return to Gallery