Gallery

28th and 29th Regiments of the Line

Posted by Bill Slavin on 23 Oct 2018, 02:48

There is a good story behind these figures that really underscores the generosity of spirit that is at the heart of our hobby. I was complaining about not being able to get my hands on the HaT Peninsular British set on another forum and a forum participant took note and offered to send me a couple of extra sets that he had bought! That's a total of 200 figures shipped from Britain to Canada so you won't be hearing me complain for a while now...

Here are the first two regiments. If you would like read a bit of their history and see more photos visit my blog at:
https://tinywarsplayedindoors.blogspot.com/2018/10/28th-and-29th-regiments-of-line.html

Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by C M Dodson on 23 Oct 2018, 06:06

Very nice indeed Bill and a lovely story to boot.

They ate now available again in the UK as part of the restocks.

Your painting is lovely but I wish you would do larger units. Personally I feel the 'Grand manner' is the best way with Napoleonics.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by PhilC on 23 Oct 2018, 06:39

Nice story indeed, and what a result! These minis are wonderful, your painting style is highly interesting, congratulations!
PhilC  Europe

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Bill Slavin on 23 Oct 2018, 14:49

I agree, Chris, more and larger units on the table would look lovely and I'm looking at some rules for that scale. In the meantime I'm able to get gaming with what I have so I will have to be patient.
I had just heard about the restock - ah, well, it was still sweet to have these sent along!
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by Graeme on 23 Oct 2018, 17:17

Great story, I think your friend will be happy he sent them when he sees the result, they are really splendid looking figures.

The story about the black drummers is most interesting, I'll have to remember that. Did you remember the back badge on the shako of the 28th?
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Bill Slavin on 23 Oct 2018, 18:26

Hi Graeme,

I DID read about the back badge - something about them facing forward and to the rear fending off the enemy in in Egypt?
But no, I didn't tackle the back badge - wasn't sure my painting skills would have been up for it!
Bill Slavin  Canada

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by matgc on 25 Oct 2018, 19:55

Great units, Bill!

How do you do your flags? They look really outstanding!
matgc  Brazil

Posted by Bill Slavin on 25 Oct 2018, 21:34

Thanks, Matgc. The flags are done the simple way - just printed out on coloured paper. I find them as images on line, and have taken to Photoshopping the unit number into the Union Jack.
I simply glue them around the pole, coat them with white glue and then bend them into the desired shape. I was finding white edges were showing up so I now go back in and touch up the edges with paint.
I was particularly proud of my flagpoles for the scratch built ensigns. I'm using a heavy gage metal wire but was having troubles modelling the spear point. Now I just flatten the tip of the wire with a hammer and file down the point! Because the HaT ensign's pole has a cravat I have taken to modelling that with green stuff.
Although I'm sure you could find what you are looking for, when you get around to painting your own British I'm happy to send you along the British flag files I have to date.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by Marc the plasticsfan on 26 Oct 2018, 08:44

Yes Graeme, I was pleased how well the figures I sent over to Bill turned out. I often have spares, and try where possible to pass them on at retail to other enthusiasts. I am not a fan of profiteering - I think we share this hobby so when I see people charging silly prices for an OOP set it annoys me. Each to their own I guess. I was able to share with Mateus as well, and another guy in the UK - I had far too many of those Brits :-)
Marc the plasticsfan  United Kingdom

Posted by Bill Slavin on 26 Oct 2018, 14:04

Yes, Marc made my day, my week, and now it turns out my year. Still 150 figures to paint...
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by Michael Robert on 28 Oct 2018, 17:07

Hello Bill,
very nice painting, also nice groundworks and photography.
I like your flags also a lot.

Cheers
Michael
Michael Robert  France

Posted by Beano Boy on 29 Oct 2018, 12:02

Italeri. did The 28th and are to be seen above with the triangle badge at the back of the shako. :-D

My Top Tip
2nd one in from the right; Give the head a twist so he is facing direction his musket is pointing and you will have a darn good pose. :coffee: I twisted hundreds for my British Square. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Bill Slavin on 30 Oct 2018, 14:17

That's right, they were the 28th! I painted those up a year ago be=efore I laid my hands on the HaT figures but failed to realize at the time that they were in the Peninsula and so didn't paint them as the 28th. Duh.

Good tip...
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by Beano Boy on 30 Oct 2018, 14:30

You are most welcome Bill. :thumbup:
The oddest thing is i remembered the Italeri set and the twist. :-D BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Return to Gallery