Made in 2018.

Vehicle: Gazelle / Airfix.
Figures: Shapeways, Aries.
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Bluefalchion on 09 Sep 2018, 23:20

You work quickly. Good job.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Wiking on 10 Sep 2018, 06:53

I should admit that a lot of details I add are seen by the forum Brit modeller.
Nigel Heath do a Syrian Gazelle.
That is a thank you to his great step by step report and how to do.

The glasses of the one figure who touch the door was a heavy decision for me.
I cut it from a very nice made (OOP) Calibre 72 figure head, headgear.
(The one with the helmet in this set and glasses who will fit perfect to my idea was already used :mad: )
It is better to cut and use the glasses as to store the nice bit unused the next ten or more years, I decide.
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Susofrick on 10 Sep 2018, 07:50

I think their arms look pretty normal ... oh! It was the other kind! Very nice as usual!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Santi Pérez on 11 Sep 2018, 19:56

Wiking, I'm getting convinced that you're something like a diorama maker machine, right? I don't know where you get the time for that...and all of them are always small masterpieces. :love:

(I hope that you don't realize that is the envy who is speaking through my fingers, haha).

My very best congratulations, mate. :yeah:

Santi.
Santi Pérez  Spain

Posted by Wiking on 11 Sep 2018, 21:20

Hello Santi,

thank you very much for your kind words.
I have holiday. And was a bit absent the last time. But still modelling a bit each evening.

It is like to give comfort that you are the one who call it a masterpieces. :-D :yeah: :thumbup:
At the competition in Mol ( KMK Scaleworld) they don`t think so.
I got with this Dio the flowerpot. :mad:
Wiking  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Carlos on 17 Oct 2018, 22:55

Well, you have made a diorama that some friends had asked me and I did not want to do it (I do not like to model on malvinas).
It is one of the gazzelles shot down by the conscripts of the combat team Guemes.
If I knew you were working on that, I would have sent you some photos and information. One of the guys from the Guemes team is my friend, he was in the 25 mechanized ).
What you represent is true, the guemes team was behind the British lines, near the coast sending information by radio about the British landing and the position of the ships in the water for the aerial raids (the bombs avenue).
Work type "deep recognition team".
They avoided those of the British infantry, even when they had some encounters with the SBS, but could not hide from the helicopters, every time a helicopter discovered them, they used Vietcong techniques, they concentrated the fire of light arms on the machine, they say they shot down 4, the British said officlay 2.
With that gazelle in particular was a "far west" duel between conscripts of the guemes team and the helicopter. The gazelle was armed with rockets "air earth" and when he saw them, the pilot began to turn and lower the nose to fire the rockets at very close range (they said 50-100 meters distance) , if he got it, the conscripts were dead ...
In that situation "lost for lost" the boys all fired on the helicopter, at least two clips of FAL 7.62 each (20 bullets each) , it was 30 soldiers, so the apparatus was received at least 600 shots.
when the helicopter fell, they went to see and it was dramatic, because they had fired on other helicopters and even on the boats or nigth enconuters with the SBS, but they had never seen what their bullets did on people.
They were 18 years old and they were not professionals, they realized that they had killed someone.

When his radio was without batteries they retired and walked 20 kilometers until a helicopter brought them back to their lines.
There are some filming on you tube sibre these guys if you want to see them.
The journalists filmed them when they back to the qurater to rest, the journalist filmed a lot because it was the first fight on the lines.
Film was not edited, is "crude" and long. may bored, but showw a lot if infomation abouth uniforms, weapons, equipment etcetcetc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PAHAN6KrJg
Carlos  Argentina

Posted by Bluefalchion on 18 Oct 2018, 02:47

Carlos--

Thanks for sharing. If only we as a community of humanity could get past war and work together to make the world a better place instead.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by Wiking on 18 Oct 2018, 16:35

Thank you Carlos for the info and the link.
A few points are new to me.

My basic idea was that pic:
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... tedIndex=2
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Carlos on 19 Oct 2018, 16:00

I went to check the information I had collected when they told me the diorama (which I did not do in the end). The guys in San carlos Bay down, two Gazelle, first the GR1 XX411, which could make a landing,
the copilot was rescued and the pilot died, and is the one you show in the photo. Same hours or minutes later the XX402 (in the page of photos whose URL you uploaded there is also a photograph of that gazelle) and it is the one that the soldiers approached to see after.

Another photo.

[urlhttp://fdra-malvinas.blogspot.com/2017/09/gazelle-down.html][/url]
Carlos  Argentina

Posted by Carlos on 19 Oct 2018, 17:49

I do not know what happened that the last post appears twice.

I did something wrong and I can not eliminate it.
Bluefalchion, I think you're absolutely right.
Luckily today we have this marvelous communication tool called the internet.
Thanks to that people can talk and when people talk everything is different.
Perhaps if we had had internet in the past, the Falklands would never have happened and so many other wars.
We would not have so much material for modeling, but the world would be better. :yeah:
Carlos  Argentina

Posted by Wiking on 19 Oct 2018, 21:58

Thank you Carlos for the info with the "another photo".
I already know it and it is new to me to be the "other" Gazelle.

If you spend some time and follow links and open pics you get some interesting things.
Behind the lines.

The biggest problem I run in are not (thanks to Airfix and some minor model makers) the planes, vehicle.

NO FIGURES !
My stash is 75% WWII figure. A few converted will fit.
Some of the clothes are very different to the 80ies !
Matchbox, now Revell (a set that I did not own!) did a box. TQD (great) did (British again) two small sets. CMK did a Harrier pilot.
That`s it !
For the Argentina side it is "dark" in 1/72.
I read several time to use the US WWII, Vietnam stuff. During the Gazelle build I make one conversion try.
NO ! Will not fit. No 1/72 figure set are close to the Argentina army look in US clothes.
Shapeways US (expensive) give a bit hope. But figures in anorak that look like Argentina soldier are still a problem.
But I think with some luck I find a acceptable way to get a few soldier in parka.
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Carlos on 20 Oct 2018, 05:47

Yes, you are rigth, there are not figures with the Argentinian uninforms of the 80's, and the winter clothes make it more difficult, we must also consider that all the uninforms were not the same, the regiments of the north, with subtropical climate went to war with little sheltered jackets, while the regiments of the south (cold weather) wore coats more thick.
Although Galtieri did not want to send special forces to the Malvinas, (this provoked criticism after the war, since while in the islands almost all the soldiers were conventional infantry, the parachute brigades, most of the marine infantry battalions, and the troops better equipped and trained for that type of war that were the mountain brigades stayed on the continent with the crossed arms) there were some eceptions, some special troops were there, a marines battalion was sent as a "symbolic presence of the navy", and two commando companies went, these in turn had a different unifroms, the army commands used a uniform with camouflage and green bugs used other types of jackets fom the army.
There are a common mistake between modelers in more large scales. It is to use the commandos anphibious figures in the dioramas of the late war. Its becasue the photos of the invation.
They were there just in the first phase of the war, wich was the invation, and the commandos of the navy wich were from two gropus,( the Tactical Divers and the Amphibious Aommandos(, were only 60 in otal during the invasion, (the Malvinas/Falklands invasion was done just by 60 commandos, supported from far by a company of Marines in LVTP, it was cause the invation had to be done without british blood, for further negotiations, Commandos made a good job and its was not necesary that marines leave their vehcles, so the whole invation was done by a few argetinian man), inmediately aftherthe invasion, before thw war startedm casue galtieri didnt like special forces in the falkands, both the naval commandos and the marines company was returned to the continent with their vehicles. Later, another marines battlon was sended, but was a different battlon and went just for a quetion of symbolism, at he end they had to figth facing the Scots Wards, and there were problems, cause they refuse the order of retreat). So use the Commandos Anphibious figures wich became famous because the photos and pictures, in trenchs (late war) is wrong.
Some fellwos asked me to sculpt some figures of the Falklands war, but I never made it.
Think the best way to make argentinian figures of the 80's could be make convertions from the nato troops from esci.
Carlos  Argentina

Posted by Wiking on 20 Oct 2018, 10:46

Thank you for your long information.
I came across the most data. But not so compact.

Yes, the long announced Italeri (ex Esci) Nato troops are in my opinion the best (only) option. A few of them.
The Airfix Nato troops do not fit.

Or that option:
Huge guys!

Wiking  Germany

Posted by Carlos on 20 Oct 2018, 15:40

t's a good option. for the jacket could be but the jackets that they gave us at that time in the army were more chubby, had stuffed, and buttons covered to the middle, I never had one of those because I was with the Infanteria de monte brigade (jungle infantry, or jungle hunters) and where I was at 40 degrees of temperature, we only used shirts and rain ponchos, but I remember that our captain had one of these winter jacktes and it was very good.
If I had to make an Argentine infant in malvinas I would use maybe the chest of the figures of the WWII Germans in winter equipment of waterloo (removing the backs of the handles and replacing the holsters), the heads with US marines of any kit, or with berets (almost all the regiments there were of mechanized infantry and they wore a black beret) for the legs any of the NATO of esci with lateral pockets.
Carlos  Argentina

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Oct 2018, 11:29

The clothing is quite clear on this lucky guy.

With respect: Glad to be going home.

I remember well lots of these guys wore goggles as can be viewed in the first picture, right hand side towards the back. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Hobbyinovator on 09 Nov 2018, 00:16

A very different diorama and first of that kind I have seen. A nice job.
Hobbyinovator  

Return to Gallery