Gallery

Universial Carrier

Posted by MABO on 27 Aug 2018, 21:59

Here is another new build from me: A Plastic Soldier Company Univeral Carrier. This was my first set from PSC. I have bought it three (?) years ago from Martin at the FIGZ. It took me until this summer to finish one of the three included models.

I like the very cool and relaxed pose of the soldiers in the back. But I must say that the assembly was not so easy with some parts. The gun itself did not really fit in front of the carrier with the soldiers handling it behind, Maybe I have disregard the indicated correct order of all parts. So I have finally decided to add the gun in the back, corresponding with the relaxed pose of the guys driving around in Normandy.

I have used decals from the remainder box and marked them as Guards Armoured 153rd (Leicestershire Yeomanry) Field Artillery Regiment. Bags etc. are once more Sgtss Mess and SHQ.
Hope you like them:

MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Dad's Army on 27 Aug 2018, 22:11

3 years... WOW
I love this carrier, it's on my wish list as well.
I didn't knew the figures are included.
Well done Jan!
Dad's Army  Netherlands

Moderator Moderator

Posted by MABO on 27 Aug 2018, 22:51

Dad's Army wrote:I didn't knew the figures are included.
Well done Jan!

That is really a good aspect on th PSC range. There are always figures included. :yeah:
MABO  Europe

Posted by Ochoin on 28 Aug 2018, 05:31

MABO wrote:. But I must say that the assembly was not so easy with some parts.

Great. :(

I was given a sprue of one just recently but no instructions. Quite a lot of parts for a "fast build".....
donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by MABO on 28 Aug 2018, 06:55

I had this once with another box, but found the instructions easily in the web.
MABO  Europe

Posted by Ochoin on 28 Aug 2018, 09:14

I hadn't thought of that. Thank you very much.

donald

(and here it is:
http://theplasticsoldiercompany.co.uk/i ... 01.jpg.jpg
Ochoin  Scotland

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Bill Slavin on 28 Aug 2018, 13:45

Nicely built! I love Universal carriers, and this model in particular - built a half dozen of them for my Canadian troops in Italy a few years ago.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Ochoin on 28 Aug 2018, 14:02

In Ilfracombe, just outside Longreach*, the road is lined with antique agricultural equipment, including a Bren Carrier some post-war farmer turned into a tractor.

Lovely vehicle still.

donald

* ie about 4000 kms from nowhere
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by Beano Boy on 28 Aug 2018, 17:43

Yes just what Mrs B,and I need for shopping expiditions.

There are so many story`s about these old timers,
and this one happens to be true.

Many years ago a few of the lads from the squadron borrowed one,it was terribly slow going with the 6 Pounder Gun still hooked onto it at the back. There was only one concrete road and no cops! A little later while swerving badly I sort of hit the heavy metal plate gate upon entry at a small well defended compound, and knocked the brick column down which was soon followed by a large section of 18 inch thick mud brick wall. Thump! Thump! Thump! It sounded out as it continued to hit,and clouds of swirling dust bellowed upwards.
On a charge? No way. Where else could you get a 6 pounder and carrier in Oman, Persian Gulf, 1972 for nothing? :mrgreen: " Boys will be boys." The ammo for it was soon after donated too, by the young Sultan. Truth be known he never quiet liked the gun as it was pointed directly at his Palace. :-D

:sst: " not quite true! it was a 20 inch thick wall! Or even thicker! :-D BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Beano Boy on 28 Aug 2018, 19:16

Sorry ;it was remiss of me. Well done Jan,
on your spiffy-looking Bren Carrier. :thumbup: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Ochoin on 29 Aug 2018, 00:31

Ochoin wrote:
In Ilfracombe, just outside Longreach*, the road is lined with antique agricultural equipment, including a Bren Carrier some post-war farmer turned into a tractor.

Lovely vehicle still.

donald

* ie about 4000 kms from nowhere

On a related note, the only surviving WW1 German tank (A7V) was a kiddies' playground for decades until its significance was realised. It now occupies a fenced off place of honour at our local museum in Brisbane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMZvO3iCOBc

donald
Ochoin  Scotland

Posted by vellek on 30 Aug 2018, 19:06

Your painting is always top-notch, and the weathering is very effective as well.
vellek  United States of America
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Beano Boy on 08 Sep 2018, 09:18

Sorry it happened to be a variant 25 Pounder Gun, not a mere 6 pounder.

I have been writing of late of the British light 6 pounders pasting up the Continentals in 1776, so that caused the typing error. ;-) Silly me.

Now because I am three times the size now as I was then I`d never squeeze into one of those carries these days. Have fun guys. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Carlos on 08 Sep 2018, 16:42

A nice job, it has been very good, and those two figures in relaxed positions that go behind make the vehicle very real.
I do not know that particular model and I did not see the assembly phase but it looks very good in details.
When I see such beautiful vehicles and think I still have a few matchbox carrieras waiting in their boxes I realize that I have stayed in time.
This model might be good to do in some of the versions of Italy, maybe in the husky op?

Good job.
Carlos  Argentina

Posted by MABO on 08 Sep 2018, 17:24

Operation Husky is a good option. The figures are not in the cloth for the Mediterranean ToW, but surely there are other figs one could use. SHQ has a wide range. I prefere Mike Brown and his shop, if I have not the opportunety to buy directly on a fair e.g.

https://www.mbmmodels.com
MABO  Europe

Posted by Londoncopper on 11 Sep 2018, 00:58

This model is a scaled down version of the Italeri/Warlord 1/56 carrier, l have built several and had trouble fitting the Bren gun to all of them.......!
Londoncopper  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by MABO on 11 Sep 2018, 06:42

Thanks for the info, Londoncopper. I will give it another try and report here.
MABO  Europe

Posted by Londoncopper on 11 Sep 2018, 12:13

I found that the best method was to add a drop of glue to the crewman, then glue the Bren to the front plate prior to gluing the plate to the carrier itself. You then mate the butt of the Bren to the crewman. I painted everything prior to this stage and just removed the paint from the areas that need glue.
Londoncopper  United Kingdom

Posted by Durruti on 13 Sep 2018, 22:11

Fantastic painting and modelling - I've always loved the Universal/Bren Carrier and had models in various scales.

Just recently found the interview with former Sgt. Charles Eagles of 9th Battalion, Durham Light Infantry who was part of a special rapid-reaction unit formed to deal with mines and booby traps ahead of the Royal Engineers being called in. They also acted as couriers, supply and medics during assaults using their Universal Carriers. This account includes the harrowing attack by 9 DLI on Lingèvres, 14th June 1944, held by elements of the Panzer Lehr Division which led to many casualties on both sides.

https://www.legasee.org.uk/the-archive/charles-eagles/64902985/

In another of Eagles accounts he tells of how he would stand up in his Carrier and was constantly told to sit down because of snipers. One day the Carrier ran over a teller mine and he was the only one to survive because he was standing...
Durruti  

Posted by MABO on 15 Sep 2018, 08:41

Thnaks for the kind words, but most of all for the link. I did not know it yet.
MABO  Europe

Next page

Return to Gallery