Gallery

My 1/72 Nappies

Posted by MikeRC97 on 25 Apr 2018, 01:03

Here is the first of my many planned 1/72 Napoleonic units for the period 1808 – 1812, Italeri 6015 French Dragoons. I painted them as the 23e Régiment de Dragons. This regiment was part of the Dragoon Division attached to III Corps at the battle of Wagram in 1809 and the 6th Heavy Cavalry Division of the III Cavalry Corps at the battle of Borodino in 1812.

A work in progress thread can be found for this unit here

http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=21427

The figures are organized on 4 bases for Lasalle. The Lasalle rules are very flexible when it comes to base size and the number of figures per base; I opted for 40mm square bases, two figures to a base.

Each Dragoon regiment was organized as follows:

I Squadron: 1st and 5th company
II Squadron: 2nd and 6th company
III Squadron: 3rd and 7th company
IV Squadron: 4th and 8th company

The first company was considered elite and comprised of men selected from the other companies in the regiment. The first base includes a converted figure with a tall bearskin representing a member of the elite company; the head comes from a grenadier from the Zvezda Napoleonic HQ Staff.

In the picture above you can see the guidon carried by Dragoons from 1804 to 1812. The Italeri guidon has an eagle in the center which is the version used by the Dragoons of the Guard. As I'm painting these as a line regiment I have just left it white (there should be an inscription in the center but I wasn't going to attempt to paint that in this scale).

This set is one of Italeri’s best, the sculpting is excellent, the plastic is bendable but holds details very well, and the poses are very natural. Minor details have all been sculpted which make the figures a joy to paint. If you look closely at the picture above you can see that the trumpeter's checks are filled with air as he prepares to blow the trumpet.

The figures were painted with Vallejo, Privateer Press, Wargames Foundry and Coat D’Arms paints. Details of the colors used can be found in the WIP thread.

The helmets and swords were painted in non-metallic metal colors. I used this video of a NMM Games Workshop Stormcast Eternal as a tutorial for the helmets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VepXVggrfiE

As noted in the PSR review none of the figures are looking directly into the mold so that the horsehair mane on the Dragoon helmet could be sculpted accurately. I repositioned the head on the figure on the right in the picture above so that the head is looking forward as I thought it looked odd to have all of the figures in the unit looking to the side.

I have a lot of 1/72 Napoleonic figures in my stash waiting to be painted so my plan is to keep adding to this thread as each unit is completed.

Any feedback or comments are appreciated
MikeRC97  

Return to Gallery