Gallery

The Battle of Quatre Bras 16th June 1815

Posted by C M Dodson on 30 Apr 2018, 18:37

Timeline 2PM

Overview of the battlefield from the mill at Thyle looking towards Ferme de Gemioncourt with the crossroads in the top right corner.

Looking west towards the crossroads with the Ferme de Gemioncourt and stream on the left. The Dutch militia are stationed on the chemin Bati-Saint-Bernard showing the difficulty facing 2nd Netherlands Division in covering so much ground with so few troops.

View towards Ferme de la Bergerie with Nassau reserves by Ferme des Quatre Bras.

Looking west towards the etang Materne. Dutch 27th Jagers line the hedge to the right with a Dutch horse artillery element [ 2nd Lieutenant Koopman] looking down the Namur road.

7th Belgian line battalion positioned by Ferme de Gemioncourt. The tall nature of the crops is evident, causing movement and command problems for both sides.

The French artillery commence the engagement by opening fire on the Dutch Belgian artillery, practically the only visible target due to the height of the crops and the dispersed nature of the Allied defence.

The French 5th Infantry Division, Lieutenant-general Baron Gilbert-Desiree Bachelu, begins the advance.

1st Brigade, Marechal-de-camp Baron Pierre-Antoine Husson is directed towards the farms of Lairalle and Piraumont supported by 1st French cavalry Brigade, Marechal-de-camp Baron Pierre-Francois Huber.

The 2nd Brigade,Marechal-de-camp Baron Toussaint Campi advances towards Ferme de Gemioncourt but is hampered by the difficult terrain and the du Pre des Quelles stream.

This movement is supported by cavalry from the 2nd Brigade, Marechal-de-camp Bron-Francois-Isidore Walthiez.

Dutch Jager contest the advance.

9th French Infantry Division , Lieutenant-general Maximilien-Sebastian, Comte Foy commences its advance towards the crossroads of Quatre Bras.

The Emperor will reward every man who goes forward.

Vive L'Empereur!
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by C M Dodson on 29 Jun 2018, 19:02

Timeline 2.20 PM

9th French Infantry Division, Lieutenant-general Maximilian-Sebastion Foy is advancing towards the crossroads.

2nd French Brigade, Marechal-de-camp Baron Jean-Baptiste Jamin advances on Gemincourt.

1st French Brigade Marechal-de-camp BaronJean-Joseph Gauthier is advancing down the Brussels road clearing Nassau opposition into the Bois de Bossu.

Dutch horse artillery, Captain Adriaan Bijleveld commanding are threatened by 6th French lancers, Colonel Nicholas-Marie de Galbois commanding and begin to withdraw from the Gemincourt position.

Belgian Foot artillery, Captain Emanuel Stevenart commanding, contest the French advance.

The view from the Bois de Bossu towards the 7th Belgian line infantry, Lieutenant-Colonel Francois van den Sande commanding.

The Allied line is in danger of being engulfed by the French advance.

Every man must stand and fight.

Lang leve de Koning!

Posted by Paul on 29 Jun 2018, 19:07

Excellent! :yeah: :yeah:
Paul  China

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 29 Jun 2018, 23:50

Absolutely brilliant Chris, can't wait for the next instalment!
Captain Sibourne  United Kingdom

Posted by Bluefalchion on 30 Jun 2018, 04:48

Your pictures capture the feeling of being in the thick of the battle in an excellent manner. At least I think they do; for, you see, I was not present for the Battle of Waterloo.
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by sansovino on 03 Jul 2018, 15:57

I like your special kind of historical foto-documentary. I can still smell the dust of black powder.
One recommendation: use one light more especially for your foreground-figures which are often quite shadowed and dark....
sansovino  Germany

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Rich W on 04 Jul 2018, 20:49

As always Chris, excellent stuff. Look forward to seeing the next instalment.

Once this project is finished, will you be moving on to any other periods, or will you be giving another Nap battlefield the expertise treatment?
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by C M Dodson on 05 Jul 2018, 08:50

Thank you to everyone for their kind comments. I will have a go with foreground lighting but I am wary of ' bleaching' as the intention is to get as realistic as possible.

With respect to Richards query I have all sorts of ideas much to the Feldmarschalls horror, she wants the garage back!

Seriously, Antietam is of interest but Aspern Essling is also. Mr Crynns research is fascinating.

We shall see. In the meantime I am painting Pictons 5th Division for its three PM ( ish) debut.

Thank you again.

Chris

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 05 Jul 2018, 11:17

Wonderful work!!
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by C M Dodson on 05 Jul 2018, 17:19

Thank you again. I must, having forgotten in my earlier thanks, pass my appreciation on to my good friend Thlmas Mischak who kindly sent the Nassau conversions that I have used.

His painting skill is superb and I hope I have displayed them in a manner that befits his kindness.

Chris

Posted by Bill Slavin on 06 Jul 2018, 14:14

I had somehow missed the last two instalments and just spent some time this morning living in the world you have created. Your scenery and staging is mind-boggling and I especially loved the atmosphere that infused this last chapter.
Thank you for all of your crazy hard work in putting these vignettes together!!
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Graeme on 08 Jul 2018, 08:35

Excellent update, i really like the shots of the Nassauers in the wood, the Belgian artillery and the Netherlands troops in front of Gemioncourt. But the defences do look stretched very thin, nail biting time.

The overviews in the previous post are absolutely stunning.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by C M Dodson on 11 Sep 2018, 16:16

QUATRE BRAS 2.40 PM

Overview.

French 2nd Legere, Colonel Pierre-Francois Maigrot commanding, upon discovering the Ferme de Piramount is not occupied by Allied forces, continues its advance towards Thyle.

They are supported by the 1st regiment, Chasseurs a Cheval, Colonel Pierre-Joseph Simonneau commanding. This regiment has occupied the village of Thyle thus cutting the Allied line of communication between Quatre Bras and Ligny.

The Duke of Wellington and his entourage returning from his meeting with Feldmarschall Blucher  discover this uncomfortable fact and are forced to make a wide detour in order to return to his command.

6th Regiment, Chasseurs a Cheval commanded by Colonel Paul-Eugene de Faudouas are engaging the Dutch 27th Jagers, Lieutenant-Colonel Willem Grunebosch.

The French 4th Legere Colonel Vincent Peyris is assaulting Ferme de Gemincourt supported by the advance of 2nd Brigade, 5th Infantry Division ( Marechal-de-camp Baron Toussaint Campi).

As the pressure grows on the Allied position the remaining reserves are summoned.

General Willem, The Hereditary Prince of Orange-Nassau, leads the 5th Dutch militia forward in order to support their comrades in Gemincourt.

Allied forces are heavily engaged in the outskirts of the Bois de Bossu in an effort to slow the French advance.

However, the 7th Belgian Line, Lieutenant Colonel Francois van de Sande whilst attempting to form square, has been attacked by the 6th French lancers, Colonel Nicholas-Marie de Galbois commanding.

The French advance is remorseless but Dutch Belgian resistance is fierce.

Altijd Orange boven!

Leave de Prinsen van Oranje!

Posted by Susofrick on 11 Sep 2018, 16:23

As usual with TV-series, I failed at following. But now I've catched up! And it's much better than any TV-series!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Konrad on 11 Sep 2018, 16:45

One thinks to smell the powder smoke and to hear the noise of the battle.
You bring the photographing and the presentation of a diorama to the highest level.
Outstanding.
And what a work.
So many figs..
My deepest respect.
Konrad  Germany
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Paul on 11 Sep 2018, 16:48

:notworthy:
My Patient wait for a continuation has been richly rewarded and I´ll second what Konrad has written
Paul  China

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 11 Sep 2018, 18:07

Excellent indeed!! :yeah: :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 12 Sep 2018, 13:10

I've run out of superlatives. Have you been hired yet by Spielberg for the Napoleon mini-series?
Captain Sibourne  United Kingdom

Posted by sberry on 13 Sep 2018, 06:45

The art of building dioramas in perfection - it really can't get better than this.
sberry  Germany

Posted by Bill Slavin on 13 Sep 2018, 22:53

Oh, joy! Another installment in Mr. Dodson's epic retelling of Quatre Bras! You are a master of so many things, but I think I love your beautiful terrain and buildings the most.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Previous pageNext page

Return to Gallery