Gallery

The Battle of Quatre Bras 16th June 1815

Posted by Bessiere on 21 Feb 2020, 02:33

Forgive my coarse language but Gosh this is a great scene. i like to see the French winning. nothing personal.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by FredG on 21 Feb 2020, 09:18

Did I mss the video? :read:
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 21 Feb 2020, 16:20

I used up all my superlatives last time. As ever, this sets an impossibly high standard!
Captain Sibourne  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 21 Feb 2020, 21:43

Will it easily transport to a museum though?
i love it loads. BB
Beano Boy  England
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Bill Slavin on 22 Feb 2020, 23:58

Another beautiful and jaw-dropping instalment. Thank you!
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by C M Dodson on 27 Feb 2020, 08:46

Thank you to everyone for their kind comments.

I have a hankering to loop the pictures to music when the project is completed Mr Fred.

Unfortunately, the table will be cleared at the end of the action so that I can landscape Antietam, so no museum place Mr BB.

Picton’s Division is being slaughtered, Nosey’s left flank has started to fall apart, only Alten’s arrival can stop a disaster......

Thank you again.

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by C M Dodson on 03 May 2020, 14:58

Timeline 5.30PM

The 28th Regiment of foot commanding officer, Lieutenant-Colonel Sir Charles Belson, and the 32nd Regiment of foot, Lieutenant-Colonel John Hicks commanding have disintegrated under a galling storm of French musketry.

Seizing their chance the 11th Cuirassiers, Colonel Eleonore-Ambrose Courtier commanding ruthlessly ride them down capturing the regimental colours of the 28th.

Their compatriots in the 8th Regiment, commanded by Colonel Antoine-Laurent Garavaque charge the Brunswick Leib Battalion, Major Friedrich von Prostler commanding.

However they are subject to a crossfire from the Brunswickers, elements of the Gordon Highlanders, Lieutenant-Colonel John Cameron commanding, in Ferme La Bergerie and the 44th Regiment of foot, Lieutenant-Colonel John Hamerton commanding, who are in square by the Bois de Bossau.

The French advance is contested by English artillery using cannister.

1st Hanoverian Brigade, commanded by Major-General Count Freiderich von Kielmansegge and 5th British Infantry Brigade, Major-General Sir Colin Halkett are deploying rapidly on the Allied left centre.

The Divisional artillery under Brevet Major William Lloyd is already in action at the crossroads.

Nassau and Dutch-Belgian troops, the remains of the 2nd Netherlands Infantry Division are bravely resisting the French in the Bois de Bossau.

2nd French Infantry Brigade, commanded by Marechal-de-camp Baron Jean-Louis Soye are urged forwards by Lieutenant-General Prince Jerome Bonaparte in the quest for victory and military glory!

Pour le Empereur,,,,,

Posted by Peter on 03 May 2020, 20:11

Great movie I'm looking at! Wonderfull work Chris! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 03 May 2020, 22:17

Another triumph! I do hope you are going to bring all this together in a big and glossy book?
Captain Sibourne  United Kingdom

Posted by Graeme on 04 May 2020, 17:35

The tension just keeps building up.

great post once again, terrific photos. The scene of the taking of the colours is very well done and I like Your use of the figures unloading the wagon.

All of the cuirassiers look quite magnificent but I'm still hoping they'll have their come-uppance. I make no apologies for my partisanship.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by Bessiere on 04 May 2020, 19:31

The picture of the cannon firing point blank in to the French is just amazing. i had a thought about a diorama showing such a scene and you have realized it just beautifully. Frozen moments in history where the pain and suffering are up front and center where it should be. Just bloody brilliant!
ETA: no pun intended.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by Egbert on 05 May 2020, 07:13

Hey Chris
one can only describe your job with the following words ...
outstanding, wonderful, amazing,.. :drool:
Oh ...and something very important ...
Take care that you as photographer and reporter are not injured in the fight. :oops: :oops:
Because it's a dangerous job that you have to do as a war reporter. ;-)
My deepest respect! :notworthy: :notworthy:

Captain Sibourne wrote:Another triumph! I do hope you are going to bring all this together in a big and glossy book?

It would really be great if you made a book of your battle report!
Egbert  Germany

Posted by MABO on 05 May 2020, 14:05

Outstanding project! The last picture is really unbelievable. But I can hardly imagine, how everybody could stay in contact with his unit, since there are so many men on the field everywhere. ;-)

I am really looking for the next season dealing with Antietam. :mrgreen: :yeah:
MABO  Europe

Posted by C M Dodson on 08 May 2020, 08:32

Thank you to everyone for their kind comments.

The action is in its critical phase and it will be interesting to see what happens when the die roll!

I must mention a special thank you to my good friend Thomas Mischak who supplied the Art Miniturian Brunswickers several years ago. The painting is wonderful, especially the running dogs on the back Pack’s.

Several of the crashing cuirassiers were also painted by Thomas, a superb painter, and were gifted when visited his splendid Waterloo diorama a few years ago.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted by Konrad on 08 May 2020, 12:10

What else can i say?
It's like traveling through time.
Konrad  Germany
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by John Simmons on 08 May 2020, 19:24

Thanks so much for sharing this with us, Chris. I suspect that imagining a battlefield like you've created is why many of us started collecting and painting figures in the first place way back when. That's certainly true for me. This is wonderful stuff, and I'm only capable of imagining doing anything remotely like it. I will hold my breath until this glorious battle concludes and you apply your extraordinary talent to Antietam, the bloodiest single day in American military history.
Best,
John
John Simmons  United States of America

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by C M Dodson on 16 Aug 2020, 13:55

Timeline 6PM

The advance by French 2nd Infantry Brigade, Marechal de-camp Baron Jean-Louis Soye has been seriously impeded by the retreat of the mauled 8th Cuirassiers , Colonel Antoine Laurent Garavaque commanding.

The now disordered formation is swept by Allied musketry, arresting its advance.

Lieutenant-General Count Carl von Alten, commanding 3rd British Infantry Division has been wounded by a French cannonball, temporarily delaying the deployment.

The Allied centre, anchored on the Ferme La Bergerie is under a furious assault from the French 9th Infantry Division, Lieutenant-general Maximillian-Sebastian, Comte Foy commanding.

They together with the 11th Cuirassiers, are stretching the Allied centre to breaking point.

General Foy is presented with the spoils of war by a proud 11th Cuirassier.

Having seen off the French chasseuers the 5th Belgian Light Dragoons temporarily fall to the lure of easy prey and chase down stray French infantry. General Willem, Prince Orange-Nassau attempts to rally his countrymen.

Hanoverian reinforcements, supported by artillery, are pushing the French right wing back, putting the French central assaults flank in danger.

The French Cuirassiers having routed the Royal Scots, Lieutenant-Colonel Colin Campbell commanding , retire with their horses blown believing the Allied centre is about to crack.

The brave French infantry surge forward in a final supreme effort to be met by the fresh 3rd British Infantry Division and its firepower.

It is heroic, magnificent and doomed!

Contemporaneously, the Dukes receives further reinforcements in the shape of the British 1st Infantry Division Major-General George Cooke commanding, via the Nivelles road.

The French have lost the initiative, Ney has no reserves left whilst the Dukes command has been swelled,with more troops enroute.

The exhausted French infantry sense that the tide has turned and await Wellington's next move.

Posted by Peter on 16 Aug 2020, 14:09

Again a wonderfull update from this fantastic topic! :thumbup:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by cooey2ph on 16 Aug 2020, 15:39

fantastic!
cooey2ph  Philippines

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 16 Aug 2020, 16:52

:notworthy: :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam