Gallery

The Battle of Quatre Bras 16th June 1815

Posted by Bessiere on 14 Nov 2019, 17:20

There are people who do things and there are people who master what they do. You are obviously of the latter category Chris. It's hard to find words that adequately describe what you do but fantastic, amazing and panoramic come to mind. Very few painters even have managed to achieve what you do in still and after still, capturing the pageantry and heroic struggle of 19th century warfare. Gorgeous, precise, artful, alive. Keep doing what you do, it's bloody magnificent.
Bessiere  United States of America

Posted by C M Dodson on 14 Nov 2019, 19:26

My goodness, I am rather taken aback by your lovely comments, you are too kind.

My skill level like everyone else has increased through practise but I am still in awe of Wolfgang Meyer and his teams efforts. Every time you catch up they jump ahead!

I hope to, whilst preparing Antietam, get the next moves done as this battle reaches its climax.

Thank you once again for your lovely comments.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 14 Nov 2019, 21:22

Words fail me, absolutely outstanding! You could look at each frame for hours and still find new things. Love it.
Captain Sibourne  United Kingdom

Posted by Egbert on 15 Nov 2019, 08:14

Really great chris ... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
This is for me living history.
I am absolutely impressed by your work of art. :o :shock:
Egbert  Germany

Posted by dykio on 15 Nov 2019, 08:33

Dear Chris,

Although i'm not really into the nappy time (yet) i must say that this is really an amazing project. The size of it, the incredible amount of beautiful painted figures, the groundwork, the layout, buildings etc and not to forget the really almost lifelike fotography is really unbelieveble. So chapeau to you sir :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
dykio  Netherlands

Posted by Bill Slavin on 15 Nov 2019, 15:07

What I love is the sheer chaos of it all. From a distance it looks like a massive melee, but then when you go in close you can still see the troops marching forward in some semblance of order. But that all rapidly disappears in the front ranks!
As always, your work takes us into the heart of the battle. It's cinematic and the hobby at its best!
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Mr. Andrea on 15 Nov 2019, 17:39

Mr. Andrea  Europe

Posted by lobo on 15 Nov 2019, 17:59

Chris,
What can I say? This project is a living museum; the closest thing you can create to the real thing… I would like to know a lot of things…”How do you do it?”
Antonio Lobo.
lobo  Spain

Posted by MABO on 17 Nov 2019, 07:26

I am waiting - deeply impressed again - for the great final season of this series.
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by C M Dodson on 17 Nov 2019, 10:56

Thank you to everyone for their kind comments.

It is genuinely humbling to receive such praise.

However, I must mention my wonderful wife, ‘Der Feldmarschall ‘ for those times when the garage was ‘off limits’, the smoke drifted into the lounge, where have you hidden the potatoes etc, for her support and research.

Also a special mention to Thomas Mischak for his support, thoughts and research, all most gratefully received.

With regard to Lobos question, I have posted various tutorials on the forum but the current Antietam, work in progress may be useful.

Thank you once again, it is the members support that provides the morale boost for the next episode.

Best wishes,

Chris.

Posted by Susofrick on 18 Nov 2019, 12:30

Totally speechless!!!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by praga on 18 Nov 2019, 20:11

WOW fantastic - like an old painting in a museum. I have no words - it is nice to look at the pictures. One of the best dioramas i have ever seen.
praga  

Posted by daikaigan on 18 Nov 2019, 21:34

A very geat work :-D :notworthy:
daikaigan  Italy

Posted by C M Dodson on 19 Feb 2020, 17:44

The Battle of Quatre Bras 16th June 1815

Timeline 5.10PM

Overview

The Allied left flank is under serious threat as 6th Chasseurs a Cheval, Colonel Paul-Eugene de-Faudouas, rout their Hanoverian opponents and penetrate the Allied rear.

General Willem, the Hereditary Prince of Orange-Nassau is personally leading the reformed 5th Belgian Light Dragoon regiment, along with Major-General Baron Jean-Baptiste van Merlen to counter their advance.

The Chasseurs are supported by French 5th Infantry Division, Lieutenant-general Baron Gilbert-Desiree Bachelu whose advance has caused the 79th Regiment of foot to retire to a new position as the Allied defence perimeter is threatened with envelopment.

8th British Infantry Brigade, Major-General, Sir James Kempt has been forced to form square as the French cuirassiers of French 2nd Cavalry Brigade, Marechal-de-camp Baron Marie-Adrien Guiton approach.

This has reduced their effective musket frontage and they are being subject to a blizzard of fire from the French of 9th Infantry Division, Lieutenant-general Maximillian-Sebastian, Comte Foy commanding.

Only the professionalism of the British Infantry ( 'that article') is preventing a complete collapse in this sector.

The cuirassiers await their prey.

Meanwhile, Lieutenant-General Sir Thomas Picton, along with Lieutenant-General Friedrich Wilhelm, Duke of Brunswick have stabilised the Allied right from Ferme La Bergerie to the Bois de Bossu.

Heavy fighting continues in the wood with the Brunswick troops acquitting themselves well against their French opponents.

However, events are gathering apace.

3rd British Infantry Division, Lieutenant-General Count Carl von Alten has begun to deploy off the Charleroi-Brussels road and straight into the fight.

Marechal Ney, Prince de la Moskowa just has received orders off his Majesty to move against the Prussian right flank at Ligny, some ten kilometres away. 'The fate of France is in your hands' explains the order!

Furthermore, General Delcambre, d'Erlon's Chief of staff confirms that 1st Corps is already en route towards Ligny in accordance with his Majesty's order.

Ney is incandescent with rage, his victory, surely assured with the the arrival of 1st Corps is now in doubt as further Allied reinforcements are seen arriving.

His impetuosity, no doubt fuelled by tiredness, combat fatigue and exasperation drives him against military protocol.

Refusing the Emperor's specific orders he issues his own to recall 1st Corps back to Quatre Bras.

The fate of France is indeed now in Ney's hands.......

Posted by Paul on 19 Feb 2020, 20:59

:notworthy: :notworthy: Brilliant!!
Paul  China

Posted by Susofrick on 20 Feb 2020, 09:22

This is so good!!!
Susofrick  Sweden

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Egbert on 20 Feb 2020, 09:58

Wow ... :oops:
Hey Chris,
your pictures brought us back into the middle of the battle.
and an incredible photo reportage from the course of the battle.
:notworthy:
Egbert  Germany

Posted by Konrad on 20 Feb 2020, 12:12

A few more such pictures and I think I was there myself. ;-)
I am just impressed.
My deepest respect. :notworthy:
Konrad  Germany
Bronze Brush winner

Posted by Peter on 20 Feb 2020, 13:22

This can be seen as a movie, read as a book, it is just brilliant! :shock:

Thanks for sharing this with us Chris! :notworthy:
Peter  Belgium

Moderator Moderator

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 20 Feb 2020, 15:46

:notworthy: :notworthy: Wonderful! :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Previous pageNext page

Return to Gallery