Gallery

The Battle of Quatre Bras 16th June 1815

Posted by MABO on 16 Sep 2018, 08:55

I can say nothing more than I agree with the other members here! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
MABO  Europe
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by C M Dodson on 18 Sep 2018, 10:14

Thank you to everyone for their kind comments and interest in my project.

It is such pleasantries that inspire me to keep going.

However, I must, once again thank Thomas Mischak for his help and kindness.

Also, a mention to Kai Furman who through Thomad provided me with some of the painted Dutch Belgian casualties. His painting skill is far above mine.

Thank you again.

Best wishes,

Chris
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by C M Dodson on 12 Nov 2018, 20:51

Timeline 3PM

6th Regiment, Chasseurs a Cheval have routed the Dutch 27th Jagers, riding them down mercilessly.

1st Regiment, Chasseurs a Cheval, Colonel Pierre-Joseph Simonneau, have caught 2nd Lieutenant Koopmans horse artillery element in the process of limbering up with disastrous consequences.

This has left the Dutch Belgian left flank in the 'air'.

The Ferme Gemincourt falls to the French 4th Legere and elements of the 2nd French infantry brigade. The original Dutch Belgian defensive position has now been completely destroyed.

Elements of the 1st French Brigade, Marechal-de-camp Baron Jean Joseph Gauthier comanding are advancing into the Bois de Bossu pushing back the stubborn Dutch Belgian resistance.

General Willem, The hereditary Prince of Orange-Nassau establishes his final line of defence centred on the Ferme La Bergerie and anchored to the Bois de Bossu.

However, good news for the Prince arrives in the form of 2nd Netherlands Cavalry Division, commanding officer, Major-General Baron Jean-Baptiste van Merlen. The 6th Dutch hussars, Lieutenant Colonel Willem Boreel commanding is in the vanguard.

Contemporaneously, His Britannic Majesty's 95th Regiment of foot, in the position of honour, begin to arrive after a long march from Brussels. These veteran troops form part of 8th British Infantry Brigade and its officer commanding, Major-General Sir James Kempt supervises their deployment in the absence of his Grace, The Duke of Wellington.

Nevertheless, the French, led in person by Marechal Michel Ney, 'The bravest of the brave' advance relentlessly towards the vital crossroads.

Vive l'Empereur, La Victorie est a Nous!

Posted by Bill Slavin on 12 Nov 2018, 21:27

Oh joyful day! Another installment of Mr. Dodson's epic Quatre Bras retelling.
A pleasure, as always. I especially liked the interior shot of the farmhouse, although maybe could have done without the head blown off by the cannonball a couple of frames later... :drool:
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 12 Nov 2018, 23:45

As ever totally enthralling, bring on the next episode!!
Captain Sibourne  United Kingdom

Posted by huib on 14 Nov 2018, 17:30

Really great mis en scene and photography! You are creating wonderful images very well representing the (perceived) atmosphere of the battle. It is also very nice that you create a story of the different stages of battle in images. Great work!
huib  Netherlands

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Graeme on 14 Nov 2018, 18:10

That first graze is lethal!

Excellent post once again Chris. I love the fighting in the woods, the interior shot with the French boiling through the windows is fabulous, and your Nassauers look splendid. But that last pic is an example of what I like best about your scenes wide angle shots showing real people moving through a real landscape. Stunning!
Graeme  Australia

Posted by MABO on 16 Nov 2018, 15:35

I agree and I am looking forward to enjoy the next chapters, even if we know the outcome.
MABO  Europe

Posted by C M Dodson on 01 Feb 2019, 16:07

Timeline 3.20PM

General situation.

French 9th Infantry Division, Lieutenant-general Maximillien-Sebastion Foy commanding has captured the Ferme de Gemincourt and is advancing towards the crossroads led by Marechal Ney himself.

French 5th Infantry Division, Lieutenant-general Baron Gilbert-Desiree Bachelu is approaching the Gemicourt stream in support. The advance is slow due to the difficult terrain.

Nevertheless the Dutch Belgians have been pushed back across the Gemincourt stream.

French 6th Regiment de Chevau-Leger Lanciers have attempted to charge the 5th Dutch Militia.

However the Dutch, Lieutenant-Colonel Jan Westernburg commanding have formed square in time and repulse the attack.

Contemporaneously, 2nd Legere, Colonel Pierre-Antoine Husson along with 1st Cavalry Brigade, Baron Pierre-Francois Huber have outflanked the Dutch Belgian line of defence and are now advancing down the Namur-Nivelles road towards the crossroads.

However,British 8th Infantry Brigade, Major-General Sir James Kempt has begun to deploy along the Nivelles Namur road.

Simultaneously the Netherlands 2nd Light Cavalry Brigade, Major-General Baron Jean-Baptiste van Merlen begins to deploy to frustrate the French cavalry.

In the absence of his Grace The Duke of Wellington, Lieutenant-General Sir Thomas Picton directs the deployment of the British 9th Infantry Brigade, Major-General Sir Dennis Pack commanding.

Some much needed artillery support arrives in the shape of Brevet Major Thomas Rogers and his No.2 Company Royal Artillery.

By leading from the front Marechal Ney is unaware that the French 6th Infantry Division commanded by Lieutenant-general Prince Jerome Bonaparte has arrived supported by 2nd Brigade 11th Cavalry Division, Marechall-de-camp Baron Marie-Adrien Guiton.

Ney is in his element, L'empereur recompensera celui qui s'avancera!

Vive L'empereur!

Posted by Rich W on 01 Feb 2019, 20:21

Brilliant stuff again Chris!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Posted by Beano Boy on 01 Feb 2019, 22:09

It`s great to see photographs of your splendid display, :thumbup:
Very well presented. Bravo!

:coffee: P S, I hope the mice don`t end up eating your trees. BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 01 Feb 2019, 23:12

Chris, it' such a pleasure to look at these photographs, one can return to them time and time again.
Captain Sibourne  United Kingdom

Posted by vellek on 01 Feb 2019, 23:16

I wish we were next-door neighbors.
vellek  United States of America
Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Posted by Bill Slavin on 02 Feb 2019, 04:24

Again, thank you for this visual treat, Chris. Your panoramas and scenery are an inspiration!
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Graeme on 03 Feb 2019, 18:00

Another wonderful post and the promise of more action to come.

The Highlanders look magnificent and I'm always impressed by your officers.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by FredG on 03 Feb 2019, 20:52

I'm still waiting for Mr Chris to provide us with the much requested videos.
FredG  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Kostis Ornerakis on 03 Feb 2019, 22:03

It's really hard for someone to find an appropriate praise for your fantastic work! :yeah: :-D
Kostis Ornerakis  Greece

In memoriam

Posted by Susofrick on 04 Feb 2019, 10:39

I agree with the others, especially Kurt!
Susofrick  Sweden

Posted by C M Dodson on 05 Feb 2019, 08:51

Thank you to everyone for your kind comments they are very much appreciated.

Thank you to Graeme in respect of the Highlanders. I found them tedious to complete as their uniforms are so complex. However, the finished look, thanks to my new visor I think is satisfactory for my purpose.

The brigades of Kempt , Pack

Posted by C M Dodson on 05 Feb 2019, 08:57

Thank you to everyone for your kind comments they are very much appreciated.

Thank you to Graeme in respect of the Highlanders. I found them tedious to complete as their uniforms are so complex. However, the finished look, thanks to my new visor I think is satisfactory for my purpose.

The brigades of Kempt , Pack and Best are deploying and the action is due to escalate.

Whilst Kellermans Cuirassiers arrived at the field around three to half past they were not used until later in the original event.

I feel that Ney, charging around at the front simply lost a grip of what was going on. Any wargamer would have them in action ASAP.

I have therefore ruled that Ney has to be first found by Kelletmans ADC ( fifty per cent chance) and then physically return before they can be committed.

That should make things interesting!

Happy modelling.

Chris

Previous pageNext page

Return to Gallery