Gallery

The Battle of Quatre Bras 16th June 1815

Posted by C M Dodson on 04 Apr 2018, 12:59

The Battle of Quatre Bras 16th June 1815

Napoleon, Emperor of France, employing his favourite strategy of the central position has invaded Belgium on the 15th June. The Prussian army covering the frontier has retreated towards Sombreffe whilst the Allied army has failed to mobilise.

' Napoleon has humbugged me ' states the Allies premier general, Sir Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington on hearing the invasion news.

Having split the Allied armies successfully, Napoleon appoints Marshal Ney to command his left wing advancing on Frasnes. Ney arrives at approximately 5 PM with his ADC, Colonel Heymes to assume his duties. He finds his new command strung out on the march and attempts to find out where everybody is.

Meanwhile, a short distance from Frasnes, at Quatre Bras, Prince Bernard Von Sachsen-Weimar, commander of the 2nd Nassu brigade decides to ignore the Dukes orders to concentrate at Nivelles and advises his commander of his decision. As a result of this action Baron Perponcher-Sedlnitsky, commanding the 2nd Netherlands Division decides to concentrate at Quatre Bras too. This act of insubordination means that there is at an Allied presence at Quatre Bras as opposed to none at all.

The strategic importance of this junction is that whilst being the main highway to Brussels it also through the old Roman road of Nivelles to Namur, that Wellington's army is still tentatively linked to Blucher's Prussian army.

Possibly due to a lack of staff officers, tiredness ( allegedly hung over) or a desire for specific orders from his Majesty as operations evolve, Ney has made no effort to close up his command or advance on Quatre Bras on the morning of the 16th June.

However, around noon an Imperial messenger arrives with specific orders from his Majesty to march forward and destroy all opposition.

The scene is set.

Timeline Morning 16th June 1815 to 2PM.
French Chasseurs from the 6th Chasseurs a cheval question local refuges about the whereabouts of the Allied Army.

Polish lancers from the Elba squadron, Chevau-Legeres-Lancers de la Garde Imperial reconnoitre the Dutch Belgian position near the Bois de Bossu.

Prince Bernard von Sachsen-Wiemar, commanding 2nd Infantry Birgade discusses the situation with his commanding officer, Baron Perponcher-Sedlnitsky at the Ferme de Quatre Bras.

Belgian foot artillery commanded by Captain Emanuel Stevenart position themselves between the Bois de Bossau and Ferme de Gemincourt.

Gemincourt farm is occupied by elements of the 2nd Regiment Oranien-Nassau.

Nassau troops enter the Bois de Bossu to take up position.

The Duke of Wellington together with William Frederik, Prince van Oranje, commanding 1st Corps examine the French activity from outside Ferme de Gemincourt. The Duke having approved the Prince's dispositions will shortly depart to meet with Feldmarschall Blucher at Brye.

Dutch skirmishers from the 27th Jager Battalion engage with French voltigeurs in an attempt to keep the French off guard and exaggerate the Allied presence.

7th South Netherlands Line Battalion arrives from Nivelles and is directed into position.

Marechal Michael Ney, Duc d'Elchingen, Prince de la Moskowa observes the Allied positions from the Bois de L'Hutte. Lieutenant-general Honore-Charles, Comte Reille commanding 2nd Corps is vary of being ambushed by the Allies. The undulating terrain and tall crops mean that the Allied dispositions are almost invisible to the French.

However, the Emperor's orders must be obeyed, Avant mes braves, a Bruxelles!
Last edited by Paul on 18 Apr 2018, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Post transfered due to broken pic links
C M Dodson  United Kingdom

Posted by Paul on 04 Apr 2018, 13:07

...and we´re off! :yeah: :yeah:
Paul  China

Posted by Susofrick on 04 Apr 2018, 14:24

Oh, yes! My favourite TV channel have started a new series! This is something I must follow!
Susofrick  Sweden
Supporting Member (Gold) Supporting Member (Gold)

Posted by Kekso on 04 Apr 2018, 15:24

Another story with pictures? Great! :thumbup:
Kekso  Croatia

Moderator Moderator
Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by FredG on 04 Apr 2018, 18:15

Get that video camera out Chris. The dio deserves it.
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Konrad on 04 Apr 2018, 18:23

You bring history to life.
Very nice scenes.
Very nice pictures.
Great.
As usual. ;-)
Konrad  Germany
Bronze Brush winner

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by Captain Sibourne on 04 Apr 2018, 21:44

Dear Chris, another masterpiece, bravo! Do you think Prince Bernhardt's staff would have been in Nassau green?
Captain Sibourne  United Kingdom

Posted by C M Dodson on 05 Apr 2018, 04:04

Hello Captain and thank you to everyone for their kind comments.

A good spot indeed. The group is meant to represent the meeting of Baron Perponcher-Sedlnitsky the commander of 2nd Netherlands Division and young Bernhard. The painting shows the two command elements of the division.

You are right I have overemphasised the Belgian presence at the expense of the Nassau contingent.

Perhaps, Prince Bernhard reporting to the Baron would be a more appropriate headline to get me out of a tight corner?

In the meantime, I would like to thank my good friend, Thomas Mischak for all his help with this and previous projects. He and my wonderful wife make a brilliant research department and I am truly grateful.

Happy modelling,

Chris

Posted by Beano Boy on 05 Apr 2018, 11:02

Really great to see it all come together with the figures now included. The HAT figures seem very content to march along through it. Epic scratch building by the way, and well worthy of Oorah ! :thumbup: BB
Beano Boy  England

Posted by DickerThomas on 06 Apr 2018, 16:39

... Yeah a new show .. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

can't wait to see more :drool: :drool: :drool:
DickerThomas  Germany

Posted by Fire at Will on 06 Apr 2018, 20:12

Excellent, I'm looking forward to further instalments, bravo
Fire at Will  United Kingdom

Posted by Graeme on 07 Apr 2018, 01:04

Susofrick wrote:Oh, yes! My favourite TV channel have started a new series!

Exactly!

As I suspected, your wonderful streetscapes do look even better with figures marching along them. And the Jaeger skirmish line is a terrific scene.

Excellent start.
Graeme  Australia

Posted by MABO on 08 Apr 2018, 17:57

Excellent show. So many great painted figures in a perfect setting. To be continued...
MABO  Europe

Posted by Bill Slavin on 09 Apr 2018, 14:27

Late to this but I wanted to add my enthusiasm for seeing a new project of yours come on line. Your work is beyond marvellous and a real treat for the senses! So good...
Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Wiking on 09 Apr 2018, 18:05

There are still rumors that Steven Spielberg as Quentin Tarantino don`t want to pass a single part of your work.

Impressive !
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Rich W on 09 Apr 2018, 22:40

Really great stuff Chris. I will enjoy following this!
Rich W  United Kingdom

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by C M Dodson on 18 Apr 2018, 18:50

Apologies but it seems that Post Image has had problems with its server meaning all forum links are severed. The advice is to repost the links.

I have done this and perhaps a moderator could remove the first post as the links are currently dead.

Posted by Paul on 18 Apr 2018, 19:32

C M Dodson wrote:Apologies but it seems that Post Image has had problems with its server meaning all forum links are severed. The advice is to repost the links.

I have done this and perhaps a moderator could remove the first post as the links are currently dead.

Done :-D
Paul  China

Posted by C M Dodson on 18 Apr 2018, 20:00

Thank you Paul. Your help, as always us very much appreciated.

Will it be ok to do the same for the closing Ligny shots as these are also now failed due to the same issue?

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted by Paul on 18 Apr 2018, 20:16

No probs :yeah: IMHO, it´s a shame the way these pic hosts are carrying on as they are and I can´t imagine what their Marketing strategy could possibly be by annoying virtually every user.
Paul  China

Next page

Return to Gallery