Gallery

Spanish Horse Grenadiers of Fernando VII

Posted by Bill Slavin on 24 Feb 2018, 15:08

I posted some WIPS of these a few weeks ago, but here are the finished stands. I had wanted to paint up a few light cavalry for my Spanish army as all I had so far were bicorne-hatted line and dragoons. I settled on this regiment because their uniform was quite similar to the Italeri French hussars I wanted to use. Horses are from the ItaIeri Prussian Cuirassier set, and I did some remodelling on both. If you are interested in the full adventure, including a bit of background on this unit, visit my blog at: https://tinywarsplayedindoors.blogspot.ca
For a brief moment, on finishing these, I thought I had discovered that they spent the entire Peninsular war in South America but I've since found evidence that they were indeed in Spain. But information is slim on these guys, possibly because they weren't officially designated as Hussars until 1812, before that being horse grenadiers in name, although hussars in every other respect.

Bill Slavin  Canada

Supporting Member (Bronze) Supporting Member (Bronze)

Posted by Bill Slavin on 25 Feb 2018, 21:28

Bill Slavin wrote:I posted some WIPS of these a few weeks ago, but here are the finished stands. I had wanted to paint up a few light cavalry for my Spanish army as all I had so far were bicorne-hatted line and dragoons. I settled on this regiment because their uniform was quite similar to the Italeri French hussars I wanted to use. Horses are from the ItaIeri Prussian Cuirassier set, and I did some remodelling on both. If you are interested in the full adventure, including a bit of background on this unit, visit my blog at: http://tinywarsplayedindoors.blogspot.ca/2018/02/spanish-horse-grenadiers-of-fernando-vii.html
For a brief moment, on finishing these, I thought I had discovered that they spent the entire Peninsular war in South America but I've since found evidence that they were indeed in Spain. But information is slim on these guys, possibly because they weren't officially designated as Hussars until 1812, before that being horse grenadiers in name, although hussars in every other respect.

Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by Wiking on 25 Feb 2018, 23:53

Again great done. Man as the horses.

The trumpet ... there is no hole for the signal.
Listen !
Yes, there is no sound.
:mrgreen:
Wiking  Germany

Posted by Bluefalchion on 26 Feb 2018, 05:52

Wiking wrote:Again great done. Man as the horses.

The trumpet ... there is no hole for the signal.
Listen !
Yes, there is no sound.
:mrgreen:

The appearance of an opening in the trumpet's bell is artfully created using a darker color. I can hear it just fine. :D
Bluefalchion  United States of America

Posted by FredG on 26 Feb 2018, 08:44

He's playing a colourful tune. :beer:
FredG  United Kingdom

Posted by Bill Slavin on 26 Feb 2018, 15:06

After the surgery that had the trumpeter's arm pried off another figure and attached to him he was completely blown. :winky:
Bill Slavin  Canada

Help keep the forum online!
or become a supporting member

Posted by sansovino on 02 Mar 2018, 19:34

I like your group of horse grenadiers which are looking like hussars. You have achieved a very vivid group with wonderful colours....
sansovino  Germany

Posted by Bill Slavin on 03 Mar 2018, 03:21

Thank you! Eventually they were designated hussars, in 1812, I think, which is about when these guys would date from, given the pelisses an yellow breaches.
Bill Slavin  Canada

Posted by Erich von Manstein on 03 Mar 2018, 05:21

Good & strong paint job on these very nice Italeri figures & horses. :thumbup:
Thanks to your skilful work they really look excellent.

If only Italeri would return to their former greatness. :mad:
Erich von Manstein  Aruba

Posted by PhilC on 04 Mar 2018, 11:51

Impressive conversions, and original subject, It is the first time I see this uniform!
PhilC  Europe

Supporting Member (Silver) Supporting Member (Silver)

Return to Gallery